• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Volvo B55 Ailsa - Origins/Development, Service History & Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
One Ailsa which ended up at Strathclyde [ i think was A10] was originally on loan to Merseyside PTE for 6 months based at Gillmoss, then went to West Midlands before heading North, it was in WMPE livery when it was South of the border.

MPTE loaned a couple of Derby Ailsa's with Marshall body for a short period[think until PTE's own Alisa's 0054 & 0055 were delivered], they were in MPTE livery

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

Is there a list of all surviving vehicles? Understand the original prototype didn't survive, ending its days fitted with a Leyland 0600 engine?
I've put together a basic list of the ones I can recall, there may be others not on this. These are all either restored, under restoration or merely just existing.

MKI: TOE527N, GGG300N, NCS25P, MGE183P, JOV738P, LWB388P, LKP385P, PSJ825R, TRR814R, NSP326R, SSN248S, CSG773S, WTS263T, WTS266T
MKII: WTS271T, WTS272T, WTS273T, WTS276T, LHS747V, KSD103W
MKIII: CT1003 (CMB AL2), HSR46X, NDW407X, NDW412X, NDW415X, A735PSU, A101SUU, A103SUU, A153HLV

DunsBus

Established Member
Just to expand on Strathclyde's post, nine of Central's ten Mk1 Ailsas were bought by Eastern Scottish in 1988 - AH2-10. AH1 was scrapped by then, having been fire-damaged a few years previously. Eastern also got the nine surviving buses from the TSJ-S batch new to Western around the same time.

Three of Eastern's HSF-X batch met fiery ends, VV79 being written off in 1987, VV90 in 1990 and VV89 in 1993. The latter two burnouts actually happened on the same date - 16th June - three years apart.

Only one Ailsa was converted to single-deck, Strathclyde AV10 (MGE185P). This became AS2 after a bridge strike; I know there were subsequent issues regarding its legality after being bought by Black Prince but as there are so many stories as to what actually happened I'll let those in the know take over from here!

Last edited:

PG

Established Member

JModulo

Question about the grille from looking at that photo - why was it so wide?
It appears that only about a third of it was for cooling, it looks like the whole thing lifts up for maintenance access. Just wondered why not a smaller grille with hinged bodywork either side as that might have looked more aesthetically pleasing.
Gives access to a few other things like power steering oil, screenwash, cant remember what else. The design was also carried over from the truck range so not sure if they had more.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The last UK Ailsas made it onto B-plates
Would things have been different if London Transport decided to go with the model having evaluated V1-V3?

It seemed a bit odd that London was evaluating a vehicle that essentially was pretty much at the end of its production run. Was there ever a chance of London actually going for them (and not, I guess, the 260 Olympians they actually ended up with)?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Remember the Glasgow ones. They lasted to 2006 though I missed getting on them as I didn't really use the buses until late that year. I imagined they were scarce by then.

I remember the older one at SMT over in Edinburgh.

I'm not an expert on models etc but the Aberdeen Atlanteans have the same body as the earlier ailsas, same bodywork?
It was a variation on the same body. Those fitted to Atlanteans were the Alexander AL body, while those on the Ailsa were AV. Interestingly, AV4-AV18 actually had the rounded domes as fitted to the Glasgow Atlanteans, as illustrated below (Photo by georgeupstairs)

Richard Scott

Established Member
I've put together a basic list of the ones I can recall, there may be others not on this. These are all either restored, under restoration or merely just existing.

MKI: TOE527N, GGG300N, NCS25P, MGE183P, JOV738P, LWB388P, LKP385P, PSJ825R, TRR814R, NSP326R, SSN248S, CSG773S, WTS263T, WTS266T
MKII: WTS271T, WTS272T, WTS273T, WTS276T, LHS747V, KSD103W
MKIII: CT1003 (CMB AL2), HSR46X, NDW407X, NDW412X, NDW415X, A735PSU, A101SUU, A103SUU, A153HLV
Thank you for that, so no B reg survivors or any of the Derby batch (bar low height prototype)?

overthewater

Established Member
It was a variation on the same body. Those fitted to Atlanteans were the Alexander AL body, while those on the Ailsa were AV. Interestingly, AV4-AV18 actually had the rounded domes as fitted to the Glasgow Atlanteans, as illustrated below (Photo by georgeupstairs)

At what age did you release they were the back end of Y types :o Me rather too late.

Swanny200

Just to expand on Strathclyde's post, nine of Central's ten Mk1 Ailsas were bought by Eastern Scottish in 1988 - AH2-10. AH1 was scrapped by then, having been fire-damaged a few years previously. Eastern also got the nine surviving buses from the TSJ-S batch new to Western around the same time.

Three of Eastern's HSF-X batch met fiery ends, VV79 being written off in 1987, VV90 in 1990 and VV89 in 1993. The latter two burnouts actually happened on the same date - 16th June - three years apart.

Only one Ailsa was converted to single-deck, Strathclyde AV10 (MGE185P). This became AS2 after a bridge strike; I know there were subsequent issues regarding its legality after being bought by Black Prince but as there are so many stories as to what actually happened I'll let those in the know take over from here!
The question was always why did they convert it to single deck as well as the Atlanteans, but wasn't it to do with putting it on the Queen St-Central shuttle so it could fit under the canopy at Queen St

Bus Lightyear

I liked the Ailsa. It felt like you were moving along the road quickly and I preferred them to the likes of the Leyland Olympian or MCW Metrobus which seemed rather pedestrian in comparison.
The question was always why did they convert it to single deck as well as the Atlanteans, but wasn't it to do with putting it on the Queen St-Central shuttle so it could fit under the canopy at Queen St
AS2 was a result of AV10 crashing into the canal bridge on Lochburn Road, Maryhill in the mid 80s and the damage was far too substantial to rebuild it back to a double decker.

Volvo142

One Ailsa which ended up at Strathclyde [ i think was A10] was originally on loan to Merseyside PTE for 6 months based at Gillmoss, then went to West Midlands before heading North, it was in WMPE livery when it was South of the border.

MPTE loaned a couple of Derby Ailsa's with Marshall body for a short period[think until PTE's own Alisa's 0054 & 0055 were delivered], they were in MPTE livery
Yes, that's correct.

STV 122/3 X

Derby also had a very early prototype - LUG 480 P, which was nicknamed The Tank by drivers. It was generally followed around by clouds of black smoke!

Bizarrely, the control to open and close the door was part of the gear selector...

Door 2nd 4th Rev
¦¦====¦¦==¦¦==¦¦
1st 3rd 5th

Or something like that, I seem to recall...

The later X Reg ones only had a three speed box, which was anything but smooth when slowing down....

Last edited:

JModulo

Yes, that's correct.

STV 122/3 X

Derby also had a very early prototype - LUG 480 P, which was nicknamed The Tank by drivers. It was generally followed around by clouds of black smoke!

Bizarrely, the control to open and close the door was part of the gear selector...

Door 2nd 4th Rev
¦¦====¦¦==¦¦==¦¦
1st 3rd 5th

Or something like that, I seem to recall...

The later X Reg ones only had a three speed box, which was anything but smooth when slowing down....
The one with the door position will be the interlock system. This is also the semi auto SCG gearbox (although could be wired to be auto). The later ones would be Voith 3 speed autos, which are known for giving you a bit of a boot up the backside :lol:

Strathclyder

Established Member

The fact AV4-18 were so bodied was no doubt for reasons of parts commonality with the legions of Atlanteans in service at the time they were new. AV8 (MGE 183P) is now the only survivor of this odd batch, based at Bridgeton as noted upthread. As far as I'm aware (am open to be corrected here), the long-term plan is for it to be eventually returned to SBL Orange/Black as per it's former Larkfield stablemate & fellow GVVT resident A735 PSU.

Thanks for the additional info, didn't know AH1 had bought the farm before 1988.

Speaking of the Eastern HSF-X batch, two were transferred west & made it into service in Glasgow in the First era. These were HSF 86X (A136; ex-VV86, 1086 & latterly 31626) & HSF 91X (A137; ex-VV91, 1091 & latterly 31627). They were joined by a sole B-GSC example (B158 GSC/VV158/1058/A134/31736). Linked below are pics of them in FiG service (from the Andy Campbell & haley111 Flickr collections respectively).

And lastly, as for AS2/AV10 (I knew there was only one Glasgow Ailsa converted to single-deck form, must've got it mixed up with the Atlanteans that were similarly treated), the story goes that it was never re-certified as a single-decker by Strathclyde after repairs/conversion were complete, Black Prince only finding this out after going through the documents after buying it and beginning to prep it for service. This, combined with the noticable front-end sag (caused by the loss of structural rigidity from the missing top deck and ofc the engine being hung out in front of the leading axle), caused Black Prince to throw their hands up and basically say 'not worth the hassle', cut their losses and part it out. Am open to be corrected/further informed, but that's the basic story I've heard told over the years in regards to AS2's ultimate fate.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Speaking of the Eastern HSF-X batch, two were transferred west & made it into service in Glasgow in the First era. These were HSF 86X (A136; ex-VV86, 1086 & latterly 31626) & HSF 91X (A137; ex-VV91, 1091 & latterly 31627). They were joined by a sole B-GSC example (B158 GSC/VV158/1058/A134/31736).
The HSF-X ones are the ones I remember most, being mainly based at Dalkeith depot.

Someone will know better than me but Dalkeith and Musselburgh were the Eastern depots to have them. Musselburgh had all three batches new with Dalkeith having a number of the HSFs from new?

By the early 1980s, Eastern had seemed to have gone for the Olympian yet still got those B reg Ailsas for some reason, and then the Leyland Lions!

Strathclyder

Established Member
The HSF-X ones are the ones I remember most, being mainly based at Dalkeith depot.

Someone will know better than me but Dalkeith and Musselburgh were the Eastern depots to have them. Musselburgh had all three batches new with Dalkeith having a number of the HSFs from new?

By the early 1980s, Eastern had seemed to have gone for the Olympian yet still got those B reg Ailsas for some reason, and then the Leyland Lions!
Am not a expert on Eastern, I'm afraid; am more of a Strathclyde/Central/Western/Clydeside man from where I grew up. But, gleaming from a quick Flickr search, that would indeed appear to be the case for at least some of the X-reg examples. Someone more in the know will come along and point us in the right direction, I'm sure.

Indeed, and in addition to those, B10M Citybuses also featured, with 5 arriving in March 1985 (B-KSC reg, of which at least one also made it to Glasgow in the First era) and 4 more in August 1987 (E-HSF reg, arriving two months after the last 3 Lions), making for a total of 9.

Whisky Papa

I recall being pleasantly surprised when an Eastern Scottish Ailsa turned up to take us back into North Berwick from Dirleton Castle when on holiday in the summer of 2000. This was pretty much the only one I noticed in the area, most buses on the Edinburgh - North Berwick service being single-deckers. Did Musselburgh have a share on this route?

Devon Sunset

Yes Musselburgh had a share of this route and North Berwick was a sub depot of Musselburgh from time to time over the years. Double deckers have to be parked at the back of the depot due to height restrictions.

Question about the grille from looking at that photo - why was it so wide?
It appears that only about a third of it was for cooling, it looks like the whole thing lifts up for maintenance access. Just wondered why not a smaller grille with hinged bodywork either side as that might have looked more aesthetically pleasing.
As has previously been mentioned I think the grille was just a standard Volvo truck one as used on F10/12’s.

I remember the Ailsas coming into service when I was about 7 (my dad was a driver at Musselburgh) and how completely different they were from the standard fare of Seddons, Fleetlines and the few remaining Lodekkas. The most exotic things I had seen up to then were the Bristol RE’s on the joint Eastern/United Berwick service. They were faster of the mark and had a really loud engine but unfortunately for me they were mainly on the 129 to Seton Sands and we stayed in Haddington. Years later I got to drive all three batches and as service buses go they were some of the best I have driven. They were fast, could climb hills with ease (using the gear hold) and they had a nice high driving position. The only downside was the small cab window which could make them a bit stifling in summer. They all had SCG automatic boxes and the first 2 batches used the door interlock function but the B reg ones had an independent air handle to the left of the drivers binnacle. VV158 had a slightly different throttle which was heavier. I also drove both batches of Citybuses which were decent as well but lacked the character of the Alisa. The Lions were fast as lightening and were a pleasure to drive, the only drawback being the high floor due to the mid underfloor engine. Great for express work on the A1 and just as well they had speed limiters fitted.

Last edited:

Swanny200

The lions were odd beasts, built in small numbers and built on a DAB design, Nottingham got a few, so did a couple of the Scottish companies. I assume that the Volvo takeover was what killed it.

overthewater

Established Member
The lions were odd beasts, built in small numbers and built on a DAB design, Nottingham got a few, so did a couple of the Scottish companies. I assume that the Volvo takeover was what killed it.

It was the Volvo take over that put stop to it, as its own mid Engine series took over. I'm sure it was Kelvin order other 12? but never took them because of its trouble and thus they ended up with Clyde side and Nottingham?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
According to Wikipedia, 32 were built! Aside from the Nottingham ones, the others went to Eastern and Clydeside; I think the latter were built for Kelvin who then couldn't afford them and they were offered about before Clydeside took them at a reduced price?

Part of the problem was that they were launched in 1986.... the worst possible time with many firms not investing because of the uncertainty and impact of deregulation, and any new vehicles tending to be van derived minibuses. Then, as you say, Volvo bought Leyland and that model competed with Volvo's own Citybus so not a surprise.

Hadn't really considered it but Eastern/SMT had quite the fleet at that time. Having been quite conservative with ECW Fleetlines (continuing on from Lodekkas and VRs), the 10 diverted Ailsas that they then received started them off down a line whereby they took Olympians (ECW), then Mk2 Ailsas (Alex), then Olympians (Alex), then Ailsas and Citybuses, then Lions and more Citybuses (whilst buying lots of secondhand Ailsas).

In fact, from getting Gardner powered Olympians in early 1984, they received Ailsas, Leyland powered Olympians, and then Citybuses in just over a year!!

Swanny200

According to Wikipedia, 32 were built! Aside from the Nottingham ones, the others went to Eastern and Clydeside; I think the latter were built for Kelvin who then couldn't afford them and they were offered about before Clydeside took them at a reduced price?

Part of the problem was that they were launched in 1986.... the worst possible time with many firms not investing because of the uncertainty and impact of deregulation, and any new vehicles tending to be van derived minibuses. Then, as you say, Volvo bought Leyland and that model competed with Volvo's own Citybus so not a surprise.

Hadn't really considered it but Eastern/SMT had quite the fleet at that time. Having been quite conservative with ECW Fleetlines (continuing on from Lodekkas and VRs), the 10 diverted Ailsas that they then received started them off down a line whereby they took Olympians (ECW), then Mk2 Ailsas (Alex), then Olympians (Alex), then Ailsas and Citybuses, then Lions and more Citybuses (whilst buying lots of secondhand Ailsas).

In fact, from getting Gardner powered Olympians in early 1984, they received Ailsas, Leyland powered Olympians, and then Citybuses in just over a year!!
It seemed that the likes of Eastern/SMT and Northern too had a decent phase in 84/85 of replacing their stock, also as mentioned in the Olympian thread, Eastern buying a couple of Double deck coaches too.

DunsBus

Established Member

There was also the decision, which predated the Volvo takeover, to end Leyland engine production. That, the Volvo takeover, the very low numbers sold, deregulation and the resultant slump in orders for new full-size buses, and the fact that it competed with the Volvo Citybus all combined to seal the Lion's fate.

As I recall, the Eastern Scottish Lions were kept off the 66 route, though not officially banned from it, due to concerns about the low bridge at Slateford Station. I think there was only an inch or two's clearance, so Eastern decided to play it safe.

DunsBus

Established Member
By my calculations, Eastern Scottish was the biggest Scottish operator of Ailsas after Strathclyde - 40 bought new (VV773-82, VV76-95, VV149-58) and 43 second-hand (VV1-6/8-24/6/7 from South Yorkshire, VV33-41 from Clydeside and VV42-50 from Central).

In all, Eastern bought a total of 83 Ailsas, though the loss of VV79 to fire during 1987 meant the operational peak stood at 82.

Swanny200

By my calculations, Eastern Scottish was the biggest Scottish operator of Ailsas after Strathclyde - 40 bought new (VV773-82, VV76-95, VV149-58) and 43 second-hand (VV1-6/8-24/6/7 from South Yorkshire, VV33-41 from Clydeside and VV42-50 from Central).

In all, Eastern bought a total of 83 Ailsas, though the loss of VV79 to fire during 1987 meant the operational peak stood at 82.
Were Eastern Scottish ever a one type DD fleet, or was their PVR higher on DD routes?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Were Eastern Scottish ever a one type DD fleet, or was their PVR higher on DD routes?
Don't think so, or at least in recent times.

They had Lodekkas of various types, with VRs arriving in the late 60s until they were swapped with more English Lodekkas in 1973. They then had Fleetlines from 1971 with various batches, all with ECW bodies through the decade until they received those 10 Ailsas (diverted from Fife) in 1977.

Had things been different and they not had those 10, would Eastern have bought any Ailsas when Fleetline production finished?

Strathclyder

Established Member

Never realized they had so many.

If my math is correct, Greater Glasgow PTE and it's successors operated a grand total of 173 Ailsas* across 31 years (1975-2006), including the 18 ex-Tayside hire-ins post-Larkfield & the 3 ex-Eastern examples in the First era. The operational peak was somewhere between 1984 and the early 90s (AV1 is noted to have been withdrawn from service in 1990). 1992 was perhaps one of the worst years for them pre-First, as at least 30 examples were destroyed in the Larkfield fire, including AV3 (the last of the pre-production trio in service and one of the oldest buses destroyed) & AS1 (the unique single-deck Marshall-bodied ex-demonstrator).

Anyone know exactly how many Tayside had in total? Always had it in my head for some reason that they were the most enthusiastic (or at least the most consistent) purchaser of Ailsas in Scotland.

*: am not sure whether to include the ex-Central LHS-V reg Ailsas that came with SBL's takeover of Kelvin Central in the total or not. I know they were sold on in short order, but if I were to include them and depending on if all 20 of them were still in service when SBL took over, that would bring the total to a max of 193.

overthewater

Established Member
There is a great book you can buy, which has all the details "Volvo Ailsa" From NEW: Tayside bought 161 then, Strathclyde at 131 then Fife at 74

Status
Not open for further replies.