• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Worst Thing Ever built

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Because there are some branch lines that dont have run rounds and platforms long enough for 5 coaches, and it was cheaper to build a single car unit reather then modify every branch line with no run round, and if u were trying to ahve a dig at me it didnt work

Funny I thought run around loops and sidings were taken out as a result of the development of 1st gen dmus, push-pull stock.

Having said that, some branches like the Chesham branch used propulsion on the return journey.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I LOVE Voyagers!! (and off course Pendolinos, although i haven't been SC on a Pendo yet)

I've not had a smelly 220/221 for a long time now, and I travel on them sometimes, depending on work.

153's as not enough seats and they are always full, 142's as they are too bouncy and skweely and red 66's as there are too many plus it doesn't help when they don't get looked after!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
153s are not too bad, as long as they are used on the right services. I'd rarther have a 153 running hourly on a quiet line than a 156 or "better" running 2 hourly or less. They are also useful for adding a third carriage to 2 coach units, particularly useful since some lines a 4 coach would either be too long for platforms or just overkill, yet 2 coaches can't cope with busy times. A more unusual, but still fairly common use is to replace a DM from a 2 car unit. In all of these rolls, they are replacements for the 121s and 122s. There are only 4 inbuilt problems with the 153s, the first being weight, a carry over from the 155s, which are the heaviest of the Sprinters. The 153s are worse, since all have toilets, so the average weight per car is even higher, and a 2 car 153 weights more than a 2 car 155. Oviously, this give more sluggish performance. Also, from a crew point of view, the small cab is far from pleasent. Thirdly, the way the exhaust is diverted through the coach makes them quite noisy at that end, and finally, having just one engine is a reliability issue. Oviously, all of those were not factors on the 1st generation units, since the lack of a trailer made the power to weight ratio higher than most units, the cabs were both full size, the exhaust ran up the front of the cab, and they had 2 engines.
The fact that 153s are often used on services they are not intended for though is by no means a fault of the train, it's the train operating company. It's particularly irritating with companies like Central when it's not uncommon to have a single 153 on a busy working, whilst higher capacity trains are used on much quieter workings. Of cource, the alternative, that is often taken these days, is to go for a one size fits all approach (like the Turbostar) which whilst alright on nearly all services, are well suited to none.

Established Member
I like the 153's we get here on the Conwy Valley, though the Heart of Wales 153's do need a bit of work interior wise. The repainted Arriva 153's are much more pleasant with the new seating.

Pacers I don't like, but they do have something about them. Wouldn't fancy a Carlisle-Newcastle trip in one though!

T

Tom

That'll be why the MML secret hiring thing has ended and GNER have 2 rakes, FGW have 1 and Virgin are hiring 1...

T

Tom

But Mallards weren't built as such, if you're referring to the 91s.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Near enough the same thing...

So I suppose in terms of worst locos, I'd say...No, I'm going with a unit...Can you guess what it is yet...

442s.

T

Tom

So, Julian, Pacers, Sprinters, Desiros, Electrostars, etc, are all better than 442s?

Darandio

Established Member
Voyagers. Need I say more?
Pacers are pretty nasty too, but they can be fun on short distance trips.

Has to be Pacers for me and the reason I have quoted Gizmogle is because I used to find them fun in the early days until I had to use them daily. Thats when the back problems start and the fillings fall out. Not quite fun any more.

T

Tom

You aren't perchance the owner of that site you secretively linked to? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.