• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Worst Thing Ever built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That shot makes me look far too much like a stoat...

There's nothing good about 442s, I stand by that. No, sorry, I almost forgot. There is ONE thing good about them in comparison to the Mallards. The seats in a 442 were very comfortable compared to the Mallard's seating. Nothing compared to a HST (nothing is), but I just can't get comfortable in a Mallard! Something that did happen with 442s!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kris

Off to Leeds tomorrow for a few days on a Voyager :roll: (hope it doesn't take a few days to get there) :tongue:

I'll have to try and blag 1st class:thumblef: or even pay :( - can't risk getting DVT in the 4th Class seats.

Could go via W'loo & Kings Cross but that would mean mixing with the 'computers' on an early train to London.

No doubt - knowing my luck - the overhead lines will have blown down along the way somewhere. We don't suffer from this of course down here. Very rarely hear of a displaced conductor rail.

class 313

Established Member
That shot makes me look far too much like a stoat...

There's nothing good about 442s, I stand by that. No, sorry, I almost forgot. There is ONE thing good about them in comparison to the Mallards. The seats in a 442 were very comfortable compared to the Mallard's seating. Nothing compared to a HST (nothing is), but I just can't get comfortable in a Mallard! Something that did happen with 442s!

More HST froth there than a shaken up can/bottle of coke.
frothbe2e2dls1.jpg

David

Established Member
Hmmm.....

I seem to recall you froth just as much, if not more about 319s....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have memories of you (or is it Julian Gaje?) frothing about 319s. A 319 in Rugby was deemed to be hellfire, any EMU action was deemed to be hellfire...

Whereas 43156 storming out of Reading with a continuous blast of noise and clag, now that is hellfire...As is 43040 storming off Reading leading towards Swansea, 166 storming off Sheffield on the ECS move to Etches Park, S352 thrashing for most of the way between Preston and Edinburgh...I could list many more, but those will do as examples of thrash. memorex knows just how awesome 43166 was on Saturday!

Demps

153's as not enough seats and they are always full

You really cant use that as excuse, 153's have a seating capacity of 75, in comparison to the 74-76 seats of a single coach froma 156. Glue two 153's and you have the same capacity asa 156 2 car unit. So obviously blame the opperating company.

:thumbrig:

Daniel

Established Member
And they run most of the HSTs they have!

Acctually, no, we had more HST's in depots and on lease than in service today, due to 43058 being withdrawn*. :(

memorex knows just how awesome 43166 was on Saturday!

AYE!

*Jim - It has *another* oil leak at Chesterfield and they refused to clean it. Was deemed a fire hazard so the 43 was shut down and taxi's arranged.

class 313

Established Member
Acctually, no, we had more HST's in depots and on lease than in service today, due to 43058 being withdrawn*. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

43058 was the loudest VP185 they had,

and WSXfan, I do believe that was Gaje..

Mintona

Established Member
I hope you're not trying to suggest the original Mk4s were better? I do quite miss those worn out, uncomfortable old grey seats though :roll:

MONSTROUS, MENTAL HELLFIRE bashes, actually...

;)

I took that picture, therefore I have copyright, I would politely ask that you take it down immediately.

And in terms of worst thing built....50049.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

43058 was the loudest VP185 they had,

and WSXfan, I do believe that was Gaje..

058...VP185...Since when?

It's been with a Valenta since it came out of the works...Certainly was on 12th August 2006!

Kris

If I can just leap to the defence of Voyagers (after slagging them off) - I had a trip to Leeds and back recently and was very impressed with the smoothness and power.

Seats are still crap even in the 1st but that's something that could be changed during a refurb'.

Bit odd - the green carpet in 1st though - doesn't really go.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You're telling me that...I've got more than enough video evidence that it IS fitted with a Valenta 12RP200L. Where it is, mind, is another matter!

43054(f)+43058(r), 12th August 2006, York - Newquay
43058(f)+43054(r), 12th August 2006, Newquay - Plymouth

Both Valentas, both performing superbly all the way. Plenty of clag, plenty of noise, plenty of speed...Job done, the way it should be.

If you can supply me with evidence that 058 is not fitted with a Valenta 12RP200L then I'll listen/watch/read then.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah, sorry, my mistake.
I could have sworn it was a Paxman though...

Status
Not open for further replies.