• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

These touch screen gubbins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaker

Established Member
Ok on tuesday getting back from college i decided to check the fare for a single from Weymouth - Wareham. It was £7.60 with out the Young Persons card, but when i selected to use the Young Persons card it was £8. A 40p increase to use the card ? Where as it should be £5. Any ideas on why this happens ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
The minimum is £8 (or 16 in some cases) in the morning before 10am. This only applies Mondays-Fridays and not on bank holidays or in July or August. The machine will/should issue an £8 minimum fare before 10am for all journeys (hence the non-railcard version being cheaper)

If it was later than 10am, which given your circumstances it probably was, perhaps the machine was set at the wrong time?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The thing that I never understood is if the train is at about 10:01 and you'd arrived in advance to get your ticket. Does the machine know that the next train leaves after 10:00, or will it try to charge £8 with the actual time being before 10?

devon_metro

Established Member
The thing that I never understood is if the train is at about 10:01 and you'd arrived in advance to get your ticket. Does the machine know that the next train leaves after 10:00, or will it try to charge £8 with the actual time being before 10?

Ticket machines I use don't issue CDRs or SVRs till bang on 0900.

me123

Established Member
The wort thing about them is that no one seems to know how to use them! Many a time, I've seen people use them and turn to me or the next person in line and ask them for help! The majority of the time, they haven't confirmed their choice before putting their money in the slot.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Saver returns and singles are £8 before 1000hrs, other returns are £16. TVMs are programmed in black and white, 0959 is restricted, 1000 is not, etc, etc. I don't know of a machine that is aware of train times. Perhaps someone else does?

AlexS

Established Member
If you need to get a CDR or SVR before the start of the unrestricted period, you need to visit a ticket office - and you'll probably need to get the barrier staff to let you through, the barriers at Leicester won't allow you through until 0930, although the staff will happily let you on to the platform before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.