• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things people try to take on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilted_Scot

I had a chap with a foldable table on my train a few months back, we went over a set of points a bit hard and it fell off the luggage rack and one of the legs snapped off...... ooops!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm going back to 1979-80 and was only told it, so it could be a myth. On the other hand it was said a fire had occurred on one plane so I imagine a stop has been put to it.

That would probably be the Saudia Tristar fire in about 1980? From memory, the investigators found more than one portable gas stove in the remains, one of which was next to a deployed fire exinguisher.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've taken an occasional table home after liberating it from near a bin in a park on the District line and a SWT 455... got some interesting looks and advice on how to "antique" it.

atillathehunn

Established Member
A gentleman boarding a train at Glasgow Queen Street with a front door. Not sure whether he got it on there in the end.

michael769

Established Member
A gentleman boarding a train at Glasgow Queen Street with a front door. Not sure whether he got it on there in the end.

Someone recently asked Scotrail's twitter if they could take a door on the train. They said no. Who wants to bet it was the same person?

elagueesti

I saw this wheely chair on the Jubilee Line last night. Suffice to say, he didn't sit in it for the journey.

Attachments

• IMG-20121220-00144.jpg
    IMG-20121220-00144.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 39

Bill EWS

In the 70's I took my motorbike(s) on the train numerous times, including the sleeper from Kings Cross and then Euston. I took them to Oban, Fort William, and Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh and Wick. It was no trouble in those days. I have also taken it to Cardiff to tour the Valleys. I also went to Stockport a few times when looking over the old GCR at Woodhead and Penistone etc. I would take the train one way and cover as many miles as I could making my way back home.

A few times whiel returning south from Scotland I would left the sleeper at Rugby and spend the day returning home visiting the station sites on the Ex GCR London Extension. There was still a fair bit to be seen in those days.

Over a period things changed and you were just allowed enough fuel to get to the nearest garage at your destination, then slowly the cost rose considerably then they were totally refused.

During my 6 years at Marylebone Depot I took the motorbike on HST's between Didcot and Paddington, mostly just one eway as I would either need the bike to get to work or drive home after missing the last train home. Bank Holidays was always difficult one way or the other.

My first bike was a150cc Lambretta, then a 125cc twin engine Suzuki and the final one a 160cc Suzuki GT. I never experienced any problems and always had the bike well tied up to the wall of the guards vehicle.

When the HST's came in I thought they wouldn't accept motorbikes, but as I say, it was over a period before these changes came about. However by the time I stopped taking my motorbike on the trains the cost of transporting them became very expensive and would have been cheaper to drive all the way to Wick than what the fare was. If I recall correctly it started at just over round £2 and finished up at around £80.

I have many fond memories of many great trips done that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.