• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things you don’t see outside any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
Used to be that anyone wanting to get off at the next stop was standing in the aisle by the door / platform when the bus arrived at the stop. Nowadays, when boarding, you're never quite sure if, after stopping, someone upstairs takes this as their cue to leave their seat to get off. (Not complaining, this is clearly safer, but slower, and can lead to unintentional boarding before everyone has got off). I'm not clear on when or why this change of behaviour took place, there was a long gap in my bus usage between youth and, er, seniority.
Where I grew up in the West Midlands it was absolutely standard to go to the front of the bus to be there when you reached the stop, with pressing the bell being more or less optional and with some drivers outright frowned upon. Often the doors would open before the bus stopped (indeed, during the summer the buses would often drive around with them open anyway) and you'd hop down and the bus would pull away without ever quite stopping.

Where I now live it has always been the form, I am advised, to ring the bell, admonishment from the driver to be expected should you neglect to do so!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
Where I grew up in the West Midlands it was absolutely standard to go to the front of the bus to be there when you reached the stop, with pressing the bell being more or less optional and with some drivers outright frowned upon.
Exactly how I remember it as an 80s child in the Black Country, sticking out your arm was the exception rather than the rule too, the usual way of signalling you wanted a bus to stop was to move closer the kerb.

dgl

Established Member
TV aerials are rather common, what you don't really see much anymore are the old style aerials (were these for VHF 405 line transmissions?) I remember there were a few around when i was a kid but i suspect they've mostly gone now. They were X-shaped from memory.
Yes, you had X or H shaped aerials (amongst others) generally for band I (BBC 405) and smaller antenna for Band III ITV, BBC Wales and sometimes a BBC 405 relay, these might just be similar to the UHF antennas used for 625 line/colour TV but with bigger elements and less of them.
There is a thread on the vintage radio forums where people post pictures of 405 line antennas still standing.

johnnychips

Established Member
Where I grew up in the West Midlands it was absolutely standard to go to the front of the bus to be there when you reached the stop, with pressing the bell being more or less optional and with some drivers outright frowned upon. Often the doors would open before the bus stopped (indeed, during the summer the buses would often drive around with them open anyway) and you'd hop down and the bus would pull away without ever quite stopping.

Where I now live it has always been the form, I am advised, to ring the bell, admonishment from the driver to be expected should you neglect to do so!
In Greater Manchester in the 70s, you just shouted ‘next stop please’ irrespective of bells. I was quite surprised when I moved to South Yorkshire and everybody used the bells.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Where I grew up in the West Midlands it was absolutely standard to go to the front of the bus to be there when you reached the stop, with pressing the bell being more or less optional and with some drivers outright frowned upon.
Still the case.

AY1975

Established Member
Signs in cafe windows saying we accept LV luncheon vouchers. Those signs used to be everywhere in the 1970s and 80s. AIUI some employers used to issue those vouchers to their employees if they didn't have their own on-site canteen because there was a tax advantage in doing so.

According to Wikipedia the luncheon voucher scheme in the UK was first introduced in 1946 and was ended in 2013 because their value was only increased once (in 1948!) and was never adjusted for inflation after that, and by 2013 15p was a negligible amount. I'd say it's probably at least 25 or even 30 years since I last saw one of those LV signs, though. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal_voucher

Ediswan

Established Member
According to Wikipedia the luncheon voucher scheme in the UK was first introduced in 1946 and was ended in 2013 because their value was only increased once (in 1948!) and was never adjusted for inflation after that, and by 2013 15p was a negligible amount.
I used them once, in the 1990s. An IT training course in London issued them as the 'lunch included' in the price. I forget the face value of each voucher, but the total supplied had definitely been adjusted for inflation.

AY1975

Established Member
I used them once, in the 1990s. An IT training course in London issued them as the 'lunch included' in the price. I forget the face value of each voucher, but the total supplied had definitely been adjusted for inflation.
As well as Wikipedia, the actual government document linked from there also seems to suggest that their value was still only 15p. It is on p15 of this document: https://web.archive.org/web/2012100...ury.gov.uk/d/condoc_responses_tax_reliefs.pdf

Ediswan

Established Member

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, if you received them and they were for no more than 15p per day, then they were deemed to be tax free.

Not seen Luncheon Vouchers since the mid 1980's though and even then you couldn't get much of a meal for 15p.

Used to be able to save them up though and spend a wad of them, all in one go, at my local Safeway's supermarket, normally on general groceries. :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In case there is ambiguity, you were not limited to a meal which cost one voucher. You could use as many as required, and also top up out of your own pocket.
They were used for payment in Cynthia Payne's house of ill repute in Streatham (it says here! ;) ) - I'd imagine you'd need an armoured vehicle to deliver sufficient! The last time I was given LVs as part of my employment contract was in 1980 when I briefly worked for the Wellcome Trust. A week's supply was barely sufficient to buy a low-price sandwich.

Ediswan

Established Member
Yes, if you received them and they were for no more than 15p per day, then they were deemed to be tax free.
I definitely got more than one 15p voucher per day (for two days). The training company was using LVs as a way to deliver 'lunch included', not for tax avoidance. As best as I can tell that was an unusual use of LVs, but all above board.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Used to be able to save them up though and spend a wad of them, all in one go, at my local Safeway's supermarket, normally on general groceries. :)
And people wonder why some checkout staff are surly...

I once did a 7-month sentence stint working in McDonald's, and luncheon vouchers were a pain because change wasn't given if the voucher value exceeded the transaction amount. We had a very narrow tolerance for till errors (+/- 99p) and if you were unlucky enough to have a number of customers using them it could easily put you over the threshold with a "retraining slip" issued as a result. :/

DelayRepay

Established Member

Not seen Luncheon Vouchers since the mid 1980's though and even then you couldn't get much of a meal for 15p.

It the late 90s/early 2000s I worked in Sainsburys and we accepted luncheon vouchers. They were very rare, but occasionally people would have a huge pile that they'd use to pay towards their shopping. I guess they'd been saving them up.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I definitely got more than one 15p voucher per day (for two days). The training company was using LVs as a way to deliver 'lunch included', not for tax avoidance. As best as I can tell that was an unusual use of LVs, but all above board.
Nothing to stop anyone getting more than 15p per day in Luncheon Vouchers, but the amount above the first 15p per day was potentially taxable, IIRC.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm almost 100% certain that Luncheon Vouchers were at some stage worth thirty seven and a half pence. I do recollect that sum, which is equal to seven shillings and sixpence in old money. Can't find anything on the web to confirm this, but there wouldn't be unless somebody had found the info and posted it years later. I would assume the Inland Revenue had moved up the tax free element accordingly.

johnnychips

Established Member
Are you thinking of - see how many people can remember these - dog licenses, which used to be seven and six?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Are you thinking of - see how many people can remember these - dog licenses, which used to be seven and six?
And entry to Kew Gardens was either 1d or 2d, can't remember which. I'm convinced I can see that decimal currency printed on the LV too, but it could be a false memory.

P.S. Have just found a photograph of a 20p voucher issued by Luncheon Vouchers Limited so they did go above 15p!

Last edited:

Lloyds siding

On that note, the sight and sound of the Shackleton is one that I miss.
In my case it's the Spitfire on its meteorological obervations flight every morning (the last regular operational flights of Spitfires). There was a geographical way point (visible from the air) across the road from our house so it always flew directly overhead..

Young or healthy people getting up and offering older or infirm people a seat on the bus, tube, train, bench, etc. And children who didn’t do so quickly enough being ejected from their seat by a mother who would apologise.
This happened to me when I got on a London train at Milton Keynes about 2-3 years ago...it was quite crowded (I'm a pensioner with spectacularly white hair, but far from infirm) and a well built younger man dressed in a rugby shirt, stood up and offered me his seat ( I accepted, not wishing to appear rude). I now suspect that the man in question was Bletchleyite who published a description of himself a few days later.
(I was only going to Bletchley!)

Last edited:

Tester

And entry to Kew Gardens was either 1d or 2d, can't remember which. I'm convinced I can see that decimal currency printed on the LV too, but it could be a false memory.

P.S. Have just found a photograph of a 20p voucher issued by Luncheon Vouchers Limited so they did go above 15p!
Kew Gardens was 3d prior to decimalisation - coin in turnstile.

Welly

Finally I understand why the dog licence fees costed 37.5 pence! That held true until it's abolition around 1983! I never had a dog as a kid but I do remember my next door neighbour showing me the licence for her dog and the fee stuck in my mind.

341o2

Established Member
I think there were several reasons for the decline of UK trolleybuses.
1. Many local authorities used to generate their owm electricity. Costs increased when they had to buy electricity from the former CEGB.
2. Car parking was making it increasingly difficult for trolleybuses to overtake badly parked vehicles.
3. It was expensive to reroute trolleybuses when councils wanted to introduce one way roads & other traffic mismanagement schemes.
As often happens, great god motor car was considered more important than pollution or inconvenience to public transport users.
Also replying to others.

Trolleybuses never became established and were usually a stop gap. Originally also known as railless, legally they were trams without rails rather than electric buses and subject to the same legislation.
Trolleybuses became fashionable following the invention of the pneumatic tyre, giving a smooth ride. Solid tyres over poor road surfaces left much to be desired as illustrated by Rhondda, where the system lasted less than a year. Concern was mounting over damage caused by the trolleybuses, one then crashed into a house and they never ran again.
Many operators of trams were finding their rails were wearing out, and it was easier to replace the trams by trolleybuses. This continued until the outbreak of WW2.
When the war ended, the British public were fed up with years of austerity and wanted a modern world. Public transport was outdated, the car was the future, and suddenly the trolleybus was found to have the same faults of the trams they had replaced.
Post war housing developments would usually be served by motorbuses, as not only was there the legal aspect of extending a trollleybus system, but the requirement that every half mile had to be isolated so a fault at one location would not paralyse he entire system. This required underground cables and cables feeding the overhead every mile.
Ipswich was one such operator which relied on electric transport until taking delivery of its first motorbuses in 1951
London Trannsport had the world's largest trolleybus system which lasted only 31 years. Part of the problem was that trams and subsequentially trolleybuses were never allowed into the City or West End, terminating awkwardly because of this rather than passenger flow. And other operators thought what is good for London is good for us.
The route between Walsall and Wolverhampton was abandoned due to concern of wires being brought down onto the newly extended M6
Four systems lasted into the 1970's - Cardiff (just, also the last 3 axle trolleybuses), Walsall 1970, Tees Side 1971 and finally Bradford 1972

Bradford lasted so long because of its manager CT Humpidge. As other operators were abandoning trolleybuses, Bradford purchased them and is reputed to have said on his transfer to Sheffield "When I left, I made sure they couldn't be abandoned in a hurry"

Last edited:

AY1975

Established Member
Tidal flow signals on gantries above major roads - not sure if they still exist anywhere now. They consisted of a square box showing a white arrow to indicate that you may use this lane, or a red cross indicating that you may not use this lane because it is for traffic coming the other way. They were to enable the direction of traffic in some lanes to be varied according to the time of day (e.g. going towards the town or city centre in the morning peak and away from it in the evening peak).

Until about two or three years ago there was a tidal flow system on Queens Road, just south of Sheffield city centre, which I think had been in operation since about the late 1980s or early '90s but has now been replaced by a more state-of-the-art traffic management system. I seem to recall that there also used to be such a tidal flow system on the Mancunian Way or at least one of the major roads near Manchester Piccadilly station.

Status
Not open for further replies.