• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Think i failed an MMI :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't say what company / role for obvious reasons..

They had me booked for interview with two people, then it was cancelled. Then they got in touch again and offered me another interview, I took it but there was only one managers name supplied this time and I took that at face value.

Naturally when I was greeted and replied saying "Hi, you must be <name>" I was informed they were someone else. Oh dear!

I'd done a lot of research regarding MMIs, the company, company facts and figures, filled both sides of an A4 sheet with notes, printed various bits, it took days. At interview I was asked about none of that but I did get asked a question about something completely different to the role in another part of the country :-/ Despite this tragic situation, I attempted to hang on in there but by this point my nerves were gone and I was turning into a wreck but I know I gave him the right answer to one question - he actually told me so! I felt so tragic.

Further compounding things is that the day before I went down there to make sure I had the right place to go (well really i was hoping to score any secret brownie points that might be available - it's happened to me previously). Two of their staff gave me the wrong advice and told me the interviews were at another part of the site. Picked up my son from school and he took up the rest of the day. I don't think HR believed me (morning of the interview) when i called them for further clarification even though I was all over the stations CCTV cameras the day before (14:35 - 14:45) asking their staff! Best of intentions and somehow I've made a mess of it. I normally do well in interviews.

So trying to move onwards and upwards, I'm wondering what now? Is the MMI a two-shots only thing like the assessment centre? At present I'm not sure I'd even want to try the rail industry again after yesterday (and i'm mulling over withdrawing before I get the bad news) but obviously it's one of those "keep options open" situations. Also if I were to apply for something else, am I likely to have to do the SHL questions all over again? - Those were far harder than the assessment centre!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailwayGuy123

MMI is also a 2 shot situation but your assessment results stay valid so If you were to apply for the same TOC for example you'd go straight to the MMI again.

Some TOCs have enhanced requirements and extra testing so you may have to sit tests again depending on the TOC

baz962

Established Member
It doesn't sound like the mmi though. That's usually done with the OPC and doesn't include questions about roles in different parts of the country. It definitely doesn't include company facts and figures. Sounds more like the dmi , which isn't a two lives process.

There were one or two situational questions but not worded like the usual mmi questions were.

At the assessment centre they said it would be mmi next in the process..

When I was taken in they told me it's supposed to be a formal interview but not too worry as they don't do that and prefer informal.

Given all the confusion regarding where they were holding the interview, who was interviewing me and the question about a different part of the country I'm at a loss to explain it or understand any of it!

Samzino

There were one or two situational questions but not worded like the usual mmi questions were.

At the assessment centre they said it would be mmi next in the process..

When I was taken in they told me it's supposed to be a formal interview but not too worry as they don't do that and prefer informal.

Given all the confusion regarding where they were holding the interview, who was interviewing me and the question about a different part of the country I'm at a loss to explain it or understand any of it!
If they mentioned its the MMI then it is. And from what you mention here:
I'd done a lot of research regarding MMIs, the company, company facts and figures, filled both sides of an A4 sheet with notes, printed various bits, it took days. At interview I was asked about none of that but I did get asked a question about something completely different to the role in another part of the country :-/ !

As usually company specfic information, figures etc are DMI specfic questions. To back that up as you've mentioned they hardly asked you much on those. I'd assume its the MMI. I assume SHL questions are the ones you write ahead of the interview?

Nope! They've offered feedback though (not that i need it) so i'll find out anyway.

Giving someone the wrong managers name for an interview was cruel. I'm not even sure I'd want to reapply for any roles with them - they've been mean to me. The other news is that I can't reapply for a whole year now - I'm gutted.

Imagine that, a whole year before i can even fill in another application then another 6 months before an interview (no doubt with the same mamangers), another few months before starting a course... 2 years just to be able to support my son and partner who has a brain tumour. At the moment she works every hour god sends, while crippling herself more and more and all i can do is watch and work weekends on minimum wage for an employer who refuses me any time off every summer to spend with my family. I'm gutted.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Giving someone the wrong managers name for an interview was cruel. I'm not even sure I'd want to reapply for any roles with them - they've been mean to me.
I honestly don't think that will be what failed you - I doubt it was deliberate and it could have been changed at short notice. Trainee driver roles are incredibly competitive so don't get caught up on a company being 'mean' and just apply to every vacancy that would work for you.

Spincity

Nope! They've offered feedback though (not that i need it) so i'll find out anyway.

Giving someone the wrong managers name for an interview was cruel. I'm not even sure I'd want to reapply for any roles with them - they've been mean to me. The other news is that I can't reapply for a whole year now - I'm gutted.

Imagine that, a whole year before i can even fill in another application then another 6 months before an interview (no doubt with the same mamangers), another few months before starting a course... 2 years just to be able to support my son and partner who has a brain tumour. At the moment she works every hour god sends, while crippling herself more and more and all i can do is watch and work weekends on minimum wage for an employer who refuses me any time off every summer to spend with my family. I'm gutted.
Really sorry with your result from the interview. However from what you have stated it doesn’t sound like an MMI. It sounds more like a DMI. If this is the case, and from how you feel about the TOC, you can look at other options with the results you’ve achieved and potentially move onwards. It’s worth checking but if this was a DMI, you can carry on without pausing, but I think you have not completed the train driver assessment yet so will need to confirm what, hopefully, the new TOC needs

LoogaBarooga

The MMI usually involves answering half a dozen questions on a piece of paper then being asked about them in more detail.

Sounds like a DMI to me. I failed two DMIs before getting a driver job so definitely don't let it put you off.

Andywen

The MMI usually involves answering half a dozen questions on a piece of paper then being asked about them in more detail.

Sounds like a DMI to me. I failed two DMIs before getting a driver job so definitely don't let it put you off.
Do DMIs not count as one of your two lives then?

Terry844

Just to add for people, a DMI is essentially just a normal job interview that you would have for any job.

Sorry to hear of your failure. Hopefully you'll bounce back and give it another go.

I doubt I will. My current employer is really eroding my quality of life, i cannot stay there another year while waiting to apply again, waiting another 6 months for some sort of interview, another test, another this, that...

My partner has a brain tumour. This job was literally the only way of ensuring that i could keep us afloat if she has to have it removed. We're pretty buggered now, there is always the possibility I'll lose her - she's said it herself in the past.

I honestly don't think that will be what failed you - I doubt it was deliberate and it could have been changed at short notice. Trainee driver roles are incredibly competitive so don't get caught up on a company being 'mean' and just apply to every vacancy that would work for you.

I agree it could have changed at short notice but then I'd expect a "oh sorry X can't be here today, you'll be with me instead" type of reply. Instead I was made to look utterly stupid and badly organised.

Really sorry with your result from the interview. However from what you have stated it doesn’t sound like an MMI. It sounds more like a DMI. If this is the case, and from how you feel about the TOC, you can look at other options with the results you’ve achieved and potentially move onwards. It’s worth checking but if this was a DMI, you can carry on without pausing, but I think you have not completed the train driver assessment yet so will need to confirm what, hopefully, the new TOC needs

Passed that months ago. It was a far easier than I thought too.

I used to be a musician, listening to slow beeping tones was a piece of cake. Doing so while looking for matching icons was also easy.

The memory test / note taking was easy - I'm technically minded so the test regarding the testing of brakes / pressures was also a doddle.

4 dots was the only one i could actually practice at home. Again, easy. One candidate had a medical incident part way through and while i'm striking out 4 dots i'm also listening to him talking to the lady and working out in my head what had happened to him (tones and 2 icons but a lot more complex - still easy though). Needless to say i passed 4 dots and was right as to what happened to him too. Poor guy he was doing really well too but failed because of it.

Computer tests.. hardest part was the memory test - an image flashes up and it's gone again. Still passed it. Grey squares / concentration, easy. Two joysticks.. done that for years with RC aircraft so that wasn't exactly hard either. Yes i came off the track once or twice but still passed it. I came out of that on top of the world wondering how on earth people manage to fail it? One candidate showed me all the stuff he'd bought online and printed out - he was literally carrying an 80s yellow pages worth of paper in his bag with him.

Then i was dished a toughie and looked bad and I'm out of the game. Stupid thing is I am trained in conflict management, dispute resolution, regaining control of situations, getting into peoples heads etc... but that interview really tripped me. The guy was an ex copper and there was no recovery tactic I could use to bring it back round.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Yes i came off the track once or twice but still passed it. I came out of that on top of the world wondering how on earth people manage to fail it?

People fail at all levels of the process for different reasons and on different tests. Some find the dots test to be a complete nightmare and its got a huge attrition rate. Other find the Situational Judgement a problem. There are others who find the interview to be an absolute cake walk. Personally I thought I'd failed as others were being sent home but I made it through. I didn't find anything 'easy' but didn't find anything 'hard' either.

Everyone needs to pass through all of it and following this section of the forum, as I do, I see many many many fail. Those who persevere can find success at the end of a very long and arduous journey.

... but that interview really tripped me. The guy was an ex copper and there was no recovery tactic I could use to bring it back round.

Being unable to recover from something so simple as a miss-communication or perceived meanness, highlights, to me, that potentially the correct decision was made. I also do not believe that that would be what caused the failure but if you couldn't recover from the curveball in the interview either it again highlights that on the surface; the correct decision was.

I wish you luck and I'd echo the comments that this is just a small setback on the path.

PudseyBearHST

I’m very confused, why are you being so worked up about a different manager taking the interview instead. You definitely didn’t fail for this (?!) That interaction wasn’t even part of the interview, you were just exchanging pleasantries just as you do as you meet anyone for the first time.

The Puddock

I doubt I will. My current employer is really eroding my quality of life, i cannot stay there another year while waiting to apply again, waiting another 6 months for some sort of interview, another test, another this, that...

My partner has a brain tumour. This job was literally the only way of ensuring that i could keep us afloat if she has to have it removed. We're pretty buggered now, there is always the possibility I'll lose her - she's said it herself in the past.
I’m sorry to hear of the troubles you and your partner are going through. However, I don’t think it’s particularly useful or healthy to fixate on train driving as being the “only way” forward to keep money coming in. If you really want to work in the rail industry there are lots of interesting, well paid and rewarding jobs other than driving. Roles such as conductor/train manager, signaller, control jobs, train planning etc... Train driving is not your only hope - if you really want to join the industry but are unable to pass the driver selection process then you may need to broaden your horizons rather than throw it all away at the first slight upset.

LoogaBarooga

Also worth noting you'd be on a training wage for a year or two anyway so you might end up taking a hit financially for a while.

I’m sorry to hear of the troubles you and your partner are going through. However, I don’t think it’s particularly useful or healthy to fixate on train driving as being the “only way” forward to keep money coming in. If you really want to work in the rail industry there are lots of interesting, well paid and rewarding jobs other than driving. Roles such as conductor/train manager, signaller, control jobs, train planning etc... Train driving is not your only hope - if you really want to join the industry but are unable to pass the driver selection process then you may need to broaden your horizons rather than throw it all away at the first slight upset.

Tried conductor, tried ticket / revenue enforcement, there was another i tried too but can't remember what now..

Couldn't get through the SHL tests for any of them. The weird thing was that I'd never really thought of driving and i thought i'd have no chance with, i got through the SHL tests and then the assessment centre - which was pretty easy. I didn't expect that but as the pay was better and i'd wanted to do it since childhood i stuck with it.

Being unable to recover from something so simple as a miss-communication or perceived meanness, highlights, to me, that potentially the correct decision was made. I also do not believe that that would be what caused the failure but if you couldn't recover from the curveball in the interview either it again highlights that on the surface; the correct decision was.

I wish you luck and I'd echo the comments that this is just a small setback on the path.

With respect, while I do see what you are saying and can certainly understand why youi've drawn that conclusion, you don't know me. I'm normally very good at turning things around but this one was completely borked. I looked really stupid and disorganised - even though I'd actually put a lot of effort into getting everything as near perfect as possible. Even used the missus car as it's a lot smarter than mine.

When the first question is about railway operations over 50 miles away, you know they've taken a dim view of you and that destroyed my confidence on the spot. I'm gutted.

In my current position I deal with all sorts of people from all sorts of walks of life. Some friendly, others snotty.. I deal with them in the friendliest way I possibly can and typially turn most into friendly people but I simply couldn't recover from this one despite all the training i've had for difficult situations in the past. It was hard, proper hard. I looked and felt utterly stupid. I've never felt so ashamed of myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.