• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

this is why it just isn't worth fare dodging!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If the first sign you see is above the door as you leave the train, it is far far far too late to do anything about it.

I think the plan is to raise awareness amongst regular fare dodgers. It's not too early to do the right thing next time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think the plan is to raise awareness amongst regular fare dodgers. It's not too early to do the right thing next time.
I'd agree with that sentiment.
After I turned 16, I continued buying child tickets for a while ('why should I suddenly have to pay twice the price?') but if I'd known you could get into this amount of s..t because of it (criminal record, fine in the hundreds, your name in the local newspaper so everyone can see you're a criminal, oh and the potential to run into a rude and uncooperative guard) I'd have just paid adult prices.

I think a lot of just-turned-16s may be persuaded to stop chancing child tickets if they're aware of the consequences.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thinking about this thread a bit more is not a better example of ignoring court correspondence rather than fare dodging? If this chap appeared at court it would have cost him less.

455driver

Veteran Member
Thinking about this thread a bit more is not a better example of ignoring court correspondence rather than fare dodging? If this chap appeared at court it would have cost him less.

he probably had better things to do with his time than go to Court. :lol:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well if you ignore the court letters the problem goes away ;)

Titfield

Established Member
I would not be at all surprised if this individual claims he has no money and no assets and thus will offer to pay the fines etc at the rate of £1 a week.

And of course with a criminal record he may find it more difficult to get gainful employment to earn the money to pay the fine.......

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would not be at all surprised if this individual claims he has no money and no assets and thus will offer to pay the fines etc at the rate of £1 a week.

And of course with a criminal record he may find it more difficult to get gainful employment to earn the money to pay the fine.......

Or he'll pay it out of his dole money :roll:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Someone I know who works at a Tesco petrol station had to come out at night to tell someone they had to put the fuel nozzle back in the pump - and was told that she had better things to do with her time and refused. So she had to do it!

What the hell is going on? What's happened to society?! Surely the pump can't even 'close' the sale if you leave the nozzle on the floor?

455driver

Veteran Member
Someone I know who works at a Tesco petrol station had to come out at night to tell someone they had to put the fuel nozzle back in the pump - and was told that she had better things to do with her time and refused. So she had to do it!

What the hell is going on? What's happened to society?! Surely the pump can't even 'close' the sale if you leave the nozzle on the floor?

Because some people are soooo important they dont have to do such menial things.
Actually they are probably too thick to work out how to do it.

If I was your friend I would have just stayed in the booth until the thick punter did what she is supposed to do. She would have had 2 choices-
1/ put the nozzle back so she could pay, or
2/ drive off without paying, I would assume they have cameras there or your friend would have noted the colour, make and reg number.

Personally I wouldnt have helped her because while she is getting away with it she will carry on doing it!

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't know if she'd paid already (Pay at pump) or needed to go into the kiosk.

As for the driving off, well there's already CCTV and ANPR so I doubt any staff need to note such things these days.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The ANPR for fuel stations should be linked into the insurance/MOT/Vehicle Tax database, if it flags up the vehicle is uninsured then no fuel.

Maybe the driver of the car was annoyed that they had to fill it up themselves instead of having someone else to fill it up like in the 'olden' days.

---

As for the original topic, it could be worst, he could be in ATW land, where I'm sure he would have made an example "Mug" poster

fowler9

Established Member

I would be surprised. The number of people fiddling the benefit system is miniscule. Even more so when compared to the number not claiming what they are entitled to. I don't claim income support because I can cope.

I tell you what wouldn't surprise me, if the fella in the office over the road with an Audi R8 is paying less tax than me with my Trio ticket.

carriageline

Established Member
The no insurance - no fuel thing makes no sense! I was driving around for a few months insured but not from an ANPR point of view because of the insurance companies eff up (was pulled over one day because of it, and the insurance company sorted it there and then!) Then what about the car trade, with trade plates they don't need to be physically insured I believe? And then MID doesn't update as quick as it should (although it has got much better!)

And it's not unheard of for thieves to clone plates from a perfectly legal and and innocent car.

No insurance is such a give away these days, and I imagine criminals want to be low key, no insurance is too easy to find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarethJohn

Where are the Petrol stations going to store the vehicles ? And who's going to move them from the pump?

Flamingo

Established Member
In many states in the USA you automatically lose your driving licence if you are caught driving away without paying.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I would be surprised. The number of people fiddling the benefit system is miniscule. Even more so when compared to the number not claiming what they are entitled to. I don't claim income support because I can cope.

Who mentioned fiddling the benefit system?

Status
Not open for further replies.