• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thomas Cook European timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if an app should be made with the entire timetable embedded for offline access (but potentially with net access for real time info?) which would be ideal for tablet users? I'd pay for that just as much as the paper timetable.

A massive potential market there too, especially if it's done well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
I wonder if an app should be made with the entire timetable embedded for offline access (but potentially with net access for real time info?) which would be ideal for tablet users? I'd pay for that just as much as the paper timetable.

A massive potential market there too, especially if it's done well.

I was thinking that myself! Especially as a space saving idea, as a book in your backpack could take up some precious room and having it on your phone (with a built in search function) will make it so much easier and accessible to those on the move!

Maybe even a PDF version of it. I think the problem is stopping it from being copied. A lot of interrailers are likely to get one person to buy it and then a few weeks later it will be everywhere.

radamfi

Established Member
There is the Eurail iOS/Android app which covers most European trains and doesn't need internet access. But a pdf-style version of the European timetable would be good.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Maybe even a PDF version of it. I think the problem is stopping it from being copied. A lot of interrailers are likely to get one person to buy it and then a few weeks later it will be everywhere.

That's easy - make each such sale accessible only by a designated password tied in to a specific registered user identity.

ModernRailways

Established Member
That's easy - make each such sale accessible only by a designated password tied in to a specific registered user identity.

How would that work offline though? Also, even with a login you would download the PDF file and then be able to 'Save As' on your own PC and send it around.

An app would be best that would essentially just be a PDF reader. The main problem with an app is new releases. Would it be a subscription service, or would the app essentially be another store whereby you can then buy each edition?

I think the best part of a downloadable app would be the fact that if there are alterations etc. an app could be updated to reflect those changes and if the user has WIFI somewhere (McDonalds, for example) they could do a quick download of the update. Alerts could also be given but then it's turning more into a full on train app with service status etc. and that would need a lot more time.

If an app was to be done, it would probably have to be the primary way to get it, with the book then being published using that information. It could actually be done in a similar way to that of Freightmaster, although it would have to be available offline and in an app!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
How would that work offline though? Also, even with a login you would download the PDF file and then be able to 'Save As' on your own PC and send it around.

It's possible to copy protect a .pdf to prevent it being sent round, though I'm not sure exactly how it is done. Some sort of high secuirity level.

It's certainly possible to ensure that only one copy per password can be downloaded - to a registered user - who can then view it offline.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am not sure there's any 100% foolproof way of protecting a PDF, despite all the new features that Adobe keep adding, so I wouldn't recommend this being the chosen format to distribute timetables in 'app' form. Far too open to abuse, and you've even got the files needed to print your own book if you so wished.

I'm sure there are other ways to embed a printed version of the timetable in a e-book format, with some level of protection included.

Let's not forget; the benefits of the book are explained in detail in the BBC video. A version for a tablet/e-reader is equally valuable, and cheaper to produce/update (thus likely to sell in even greater numbers).

While I suggested an app that allows detailed searching, real-time updates etc - that isn't essential and would obviously cost a lot to develop. But, if the book is a success then maybe that's something to aspire to for the future?

Gordon

Can't quite see how an app would be any more help than the Eurail app already available. Surely the paper versus online/Eurail app/national timetable PDFs debate already took place earlier in the thread.

It seems to me the whole point of preserving the written ETT is because the team judged there was a big enough market of people wanting to carry a paper timetable for an 'overview', as that is what is no longer available for many European railways.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You're right Gordon. As much as online journey planners can do a good job, and we can all have access to the internet on the go if we want to, there remains a place for an all Europe paper timetable.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've pre-ordered the April edition. Given my parents travel in Europe via train a good few times per year (only just returned from Sweden, via Germany, last Saturday) I can imagine myself ordering a second copy for them very soon!

philjo

Established Member
I noticed today that the website has been revamped and you can now order using credit cards directly, in addition to the option to use paypal.

the May, June and summer ediitons can now be pre-ordered. I have ordered the Summer ediiton which will be sent on 3rd June.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I noticed today that the website has been revamped and you can now order using credit cards directly, in addition to the option to use paypal.

the May, June and summer ediitons can now be pre-ordered. I have ordered the Summer ediiton which will be sent on 3rd June.

Glad to see the new publishers seem to be doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.