• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thomas Cook European timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon

Which countries do not provide pdf timetables?

Several AFAIK..

even if they are produced they are not always true recreations of a traditional paper timetable showing all services on one sheet. Luckily the Germans and Swiss provide exactly that though so I'm happy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
if it does resume, I will buy it every now again .

Work is actively under way to start publication next year.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Please, give examples.

There is an extensive list of what is available (German text, but the only essential word to know is Fahrplan=timetable)
http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?30,4575048

Italy is not listed there (but exists, see this thread earlier)

Spain is missing, though I am sure there are tables for Cercanias/Rodalies suburban services on the Renfe site

France is fragmented, and Poland is worse - PR ignores InterCity and vv, and the regional operators go their own way (it's basically like the UK without the NR timetable)

And bear in mind that .pdf timetables are not always updated.

Gordon

Please, give examples.

The situation is gradually improving. At one time you could not as you can now access very many timetables across the board. My point is that essentially, although many PDFs are now available, the across the board provision for many countries is piecemeal due to the sectorisation, so it is not easy to see an overview in the same way as you can on a Cook's page.

Oscar

Fares Advisor

Thank you very much for that link. How long has this timetable been publicly available online for? - since 24th September? I will buy one of the 5€ books the page mentions from a ticket office next time I am in Italy.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Does anyone know how the project to republish this international timetable is going?

oldman

Poland is worse - PR ignores InterCity and vv, and the regional operators go their own way (it's basically like the UK without the NR timetable)

There's a complete tt here under Pelny rozklad jazdy w formie ...

The search options didn't work but you can download the whole thing.

Polarbear

Established Member
Has anyone tried logging on to this website regarding the new European Timetable. I did just now a few times, it comes up with a welcome page, but that only stays for a second or two then goes and leaves blank page?

I've just tried to access the site & there's a message there now stating that production has been slightly delayed & the new timetable won't be published until March 2014.

Better late than never. :D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I've just tried to access the site & there's a message there now stating that production has been slightly delayed & the new timetable won't be published until March 2014.

Better late than never. :D

OK, Thanks for that. I will try again next month. Hopefully the internet connection may be ok then.

Chris999999

The site is working well and the new European Rail Timetable is now available to order. The first edition will be available from 1st March.

If you found the old Cooks timetable of value, then support this new venture.

Searle

Established Member
Will the first edition be applicable all the way through summer like the UK timetable is? Going interrailing in July and would like to get the most up to date version for it!

Gordon

Will the first edition be applicable all the way through summer like the UK timetable is? Going interrailing in July and would like to get the most up to date version for it!

This question touches upon subjects that have been discussed in the past on this and other groups, so I will try and keep as brief as possible.

My gut reaction to your question is 'it depends' (on where you are going). Variations occur by country (see comment on France below) but also by route. ON some routes schedules can remain static for several years, on other routes times may change several times over the same period.

And it all depends on a infinite number of variables - eg if new trains or timetable recast due to line modernisation (or closure!) have taken place. For example in recent years several main line routes in Switzerland have retained almost rigid times, but others have been recast due to the creation of S Bahn networks and the like.

Your question is difficult to answer without giving some background first, which I hope is not too tedious!

In the 'old days' (when I worked on the Cooks) the railway timetables were divided into clear cut winter and summer timetables. As such one could buy a Cooks twice a year and be fairly confident that the schedules would last mainly unchanged until the next official timetable. The traditional periods (adhered to my most main European Railways) were summer (end of May to end of September) and winter (the rest of the year.).

In other words you could buy the June and October issues to cover all year. TO cater for the actual timetable changes, the changeover months issues were often specially dated, rather than just being Month 19XX.

I've just been upstairs to look at samples issues from my collection exhibiting this trait. In 1975 the changeover date to winter schedules was obviously September 28 as I have a copy dated Sept 1-27 1975 and I have a copy dated from May 26 1974, so their was no plain 'June 1974' issue, whereas I also have a 'July 1978' issue.

Nowadays, engineering work affects lots of services, so it is arguably even more necessary to have a monthly issue than it was in the past. Having said that much will depend on what info the ETT people have in advance about major engineering work projects and whether they choose to publish it in advance. For example, the Lyon - Geneva line will be affected this summer due to re-electrification from 1500 dc to 25kv ac

Now European railways officially have an 'all year' timetable with one change in December, but different European railway modify timetables in different ways at different times of the year.

For example, the first promised edition of the new ETT will not be suitable fr France, as SNCF has a change of timetables in early July, to coincide with the of start of the main summer holiday period, when rush hour services around main conurbations reduce.

AS in the old days, Scandinavia has slightly different periods due to the latitude affecting the seasons.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The site is working well and the new European Rail Timetable is now available to order. The first edition will be available from 1st March.

If you found the old Cooks timetable of value, then support this new venture.

Thanks, I was able to access their site just by doing an internet search and it came up fine. I will contact them to order a copy this coming week. I was always fascinated by the Thos Cooks European & International Timetables when I first saw one at my first job in the 1970s and have used them both for work and when arranging my own overseas rail journeys ever since.

Capybara

Mine arrived in the post today. I haven't had chance to delve into it yet, but other than the cover it looks no different to the old timetables.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I received the new European Rail Timetable that I recently ordered OK on Tuesday. Good to see it back, very efficient service from the new publishers.

Hope this new project/publication will be a success. I will keep an eye on their website for updates/progress reports etc. :)

philjo

Established Member
Useful to see that the temporary timetables during the Dawlish closure are included.
It seems to be easier to read than the previous version I had.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Great story. Tempted to buy purely to support their efforts, and possibly also do some armchair travelling...!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Useful to see that the temporary timetables during the Dawlish closure are included.
It seems to be easier to read than the previous version I had.

Yes, I thought it was a very useful addition to see those temporary timetables included, very professional.

alastair

From Facebook:

European Rail Timetable
Please note that due to a massive surge in orders over the last 24 hours we have had to suspend sales of the March edition for the time being, as we are close to exhausting our current stock.

Good that its selling well! Hope they can do another print run.

Status
Not open for further replies.