• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thoughts on Northwich ticket office rebuild

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Immediately after the building collapse:
1714406458864.png

Almost finished:
1714406494688.png

While the reconstruction has been in place we had the consultation on the closure of ticket offices!

The local MP has moaned about a missed opportunity to improve accessibility and rightly so. The platform is very low with a 'Harrington hump' covering one set of doors. That arrangement might be fine for a rural village in Norfolk, but not for a town the size of Northwich.

It's also unclear what will happen to the part of the platform previously under the canopy. If they don't rebuild it or add any new shelter then you'd hope they've move the 2 car stop boards, so 2 car trains stop in line with the remaining canopy, rather than only the front door being under the canopy, which would lead to everyone boarding through the front door whenever it's raining.

I think they've done a good match between the window style on the old and new bits, but I'm not sure whether they got the closest available brick colour.

I'm also not sure about the TVMs being moved permanently to be almost half way down the Manchester platform. It would be best if they are near the bridge, so easy to access for passengers going in both directions can easily access them.

The latest update from Northern is the ticket office should reopen in July (already put back a couple of times).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
I do not think the canopy is being re-installed sadly, Network Rail I don't think included in the rebuilding plan and not enough fuss to re-instate it was made by other people / organisations or it was ignored instead? I do wish to be proved wrong about the re-instatement though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They've made a nice job on the building though. In a way, the contrasting brick colour helps to highlight this interesting period in the stations history.

Geeves

Established Member
Considering the alternative was a Lostock Parkway style portakabin with a smattering of bricks I think they have done a really good job. There's lots of little things on the rebuild that could've been value engineered away.