• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket advice for Southampton (SOU) to Hartford (HTF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLandy

Established Member
I need to travel between Southampton and Hartford quite regularly and I've noticed over the last few years that the prices have climbed quite considerably. In fairness, this is in part to me no longer qualifying as a "Young Person", but the range of fares seemed to have declined quite significantly too.

I'm mostly curious to know if there are any sensible places where I could try split ticketing. I've tried a few combinations, but they inevitably work out more expensive than the standard Saver Return.

As a rule, I'm fairly flexible on what times I travel and which route I go, although I'm reluctant to make the journey much longer, it's already four hours or so.

I do sometimes get modest discounts in Advance Purchase fares, either via CrossCountry or via London (SWT and Virgin) but they're still quite pricey, especially compared to the fares I used to get.

Essentially, I'd just be grateful for any advice people may have on the subject. I'm happy to accept "Just get APs and be happy" if that's the only answer, but I thought I could at least see if there are any alternatives.

TIA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
What days do you travel and for how long do you go for?

If you go for 7 days or less then
a Freedom of the Severn & Solent 3 in 7 rover gets you from Southampton - Worcester via Bristol.

FOSS 3 in 7 .................................£40
SVR Worcester - Wolverhampton .....£13-30
SVR Wolverhampton - Hartford.........£16-10

Total..........£69-40 a saving of £12-80 on the £82-80 through SVR

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are willing to travel via London, and on slower trains (changing at Stafford), then London Midland offer a Super Off-peak Return from London to Hartford for £23.50.

This could be combined with a London to Southampton Megatrain or Advance fare.

sonic2009

Established Member
National Express also could be an option

Southampton - Crewe Daily Service Number 303

Status
Not open for further replies.