• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Barriers retaining tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

greaterwest

Established Member
Gates are going to be less reliant on the magnetic strip and more on barcode and qr codes as new style tickets come in. These will be scanned so won't be retained.

I think smart cards are the way forward rather than QR/barcodes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I think smart cards are the way forward rather than QR/barcodes.
There's a place for both. Occasional travellers are less likely to have a smartcard. QR/barcodes allow people to print off their own tickets instead.

greaterwest

Established Member
There's a place for both. Occasional travellers are less likely to have a smartcard. QR/barcodes allow people to print off their own tickets instead.

True, certainly for occasional travellers, and as long as they aren't a majority at e.g a busy gateline I certainly agree.

gsnedders

Established Member
True, certainly for occasional travellers, and as long as they aren't a majority at e.g a busy gateline I certainly agree.

You just have a gateline that can deal with NFC or scan QR codes. There are plenty of places that already have such things. (And, hell, we might start see smartphones increasingly used to store tickets using NFC capabilities.)

Andy-mc

What you have to remember is the ticket is never yours and remains property of the railway, if you need proof of purchase then ask for a receipt
Most TVM's will print a worthwhile receipt (all be it very compact)
If you book online then your confirmation should have receipt details
And if all else fails then buy your ticket from a good old booking office (if one still exists near you) as they will give a proper receipt on receipt role

As for the future I do think they need to decide on a technology instead of having several types randomly in place throughout the network: QR codes, print at home tickets, classic mag strip ticket, smart cards, bar codes, long reference numbers, mobile phone tickets......... just pick one and stick with it

Altnabreac

Established Member
One scheme the railway participates in absolutely requires you to retain your ticket.

Days out by train:
https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

This is a National Rail product and yiu have to have your ticket with you to use it. Given the prevalence of barriers in London you almost certainly have to actively ask to retain your ticket to use the scheme.

azz7008

Why don't you get your employer to book the tickets for you before your trip? Mine were happy to do that, plus hotels as they get a small discount for doing so! (and it saves being out a pocket for a few weeks too!)

If you've ever suffered the wrath of any of the 'official' travel companies that businesses use you'll see why nobody does. Carson Wagonlit made me wait almost 5 days last year because their system was down. Meanwhile you could happily buy tickets online at pleasure.

najaB

Veteran Member
...if you need proof of purchase then ask for a receipt
Most TVM's will print a worthwhile receipt (all be it very compact)
If you book online then your confirmation should have receipt details
And if all else fails then buy your ticket from a good old booking office (if one still exists near you) as they will give a proper receipt on receipt role...
I agree with you, however it's been pointed out several times up-thread that not all accounting departments do. :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.