• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket excessed after journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

I'm at Manchester Picc. Can I exceed my Manchester Stns to Blackrod return ticket with a Y-P railcard (2.80) to Hazel Grove? My journey has finished, i.e. I've been to Blackrod and back. I'm just wondering if I can get a zero excess at Manchester Picc ticket office?

Ta

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I wouldn't think you can as you have completed your journey, you should have purchased the excess before you completed the journey.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you just arrived in Manchester? If you immediately go to the ticket office at Manchester Piccadilly and explain this is your first opportunity, then I'd say yes as it's the first opportunity.

If you exited the station and return some time later, then it's dubious/debatable.

I would have sought the Guard on the train from Blackrod to Manchester Piccadilly!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it possible to excess a ticket beyond the origin? Or have I misunderstood something?
Anything is possible, but with over-distance excess fares it is often difficult to get any staff willing to issue them at all (let alone in the circumstances described) and some staff will claim you can't change the original origin.

If Chapeltom knew he was going to travel back to Hazel Grove, my recommendation would have been to purchase a Hazel Grove to Blackrod ticket, and "start short".

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You can change the destination of a ticket (Over-riding - travelling beyond the destination), it is open to debate exactly what that means though. Some will argue it is the destination on the outward part of the ticket, others will argue it is the destination on the part of the ticket being used.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You may struggle to get this excess, first opportunity or not. The main reason why an excess is not available once a ticket has reached the end of its validity is so that people cannot pick expired tickets off the floor and only pay an excess fare.

I have however managed to obtain such as excess in these circumstances, but I think you will need a sympathetic and competent clerk to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.