• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehsan

Hi there. Yesterday I was on the train when a ticket inspector had stopped me to check my ticket at 8:30am. He then said why I got my ticket cheaper as tickets with a railcard cost around £12. I said I bought an anytime day return ticket but for 10am but I used it at 8:30am earlier. I bought this ticket before I left my house at 7:40am. He said that I was potentially doing fraud and a letter would be coming in my post a few days to weeks from now, that I was breaking terms and conditions. I did purchase the correct ticket from Finsbury to Herts for £10.45. I even contacted train line about the situation and they said that you can use the ticket earlier since it’s the same day you travelled but you can travel at any time with this ticket. My mind is in confusion. Am I in the wrong and if so, what could the fine be?

I just wanted to add that I’ve been doing this for 3 months and ticket inspectors always check my tickets and say that it’s fine as I had my rail card and correct ticket. Just yesterdays ticket inspector put my mind in so much confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You are in the wrong because the terms and conditions of the railcard, which you agreed to when you purchased it, say that there is a minimum fare applicable to tickets for travel before 10am. If you'd selected the train you actually intended to get then the trainline would have charged you the correct price.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi there. Yesterday I was on the train when a ticket inspector had stopped me to check my ticket at 8:30am. He then said why I got my ticket cheaper as tickets with a railcard cost around £12. I said I bought an anytime day return ticket but for 10am but I used it at 8:30am earlier. I bought this ticket before I left my house at 7:40am. He said that I was potentially doing fraud and a letter would be coming in my post a few days to weeks from now, that I was breaking terms and conditions. I did purchase the correct ticket from Finsbury to Herts for £10.45. I even contacted train line about the situation and they said that you can use the ticket earlier since it’s the same day you travelled but you can travel at any time with this ticket. My mind is in confusion. Am I in the wrong and if so, what could the fine be?

I just wanted to add that I’ve been doing this for 3 months and ticket inspectors always check my tickets and say that it’s fine as I had my rail card and correct ticket. Just yesterdays ticket inspector put my mind in so much confusion.
Please use your original thread

Status
Not open for further replies.