• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket inspector wouldn't let me use railcard on train

Status
Not open for further replies.

QANN93

This happened almost a year ago, thought i would post here to ask if what the guard was saying was correct.

I was on an arriva Wales train travelling from a station without ticket facities to Cardiff. Usually when i make this journey i buy my ticket online and use my railcard. However that day my phone was dead. Of course i couldn't buy it at the station as there were no ticket machines or an office .

When the guard on the train came up to me and asked for my ticket. I asked to buy one and use my railcard for a discount. I was told that you couldn't use a railcard to buy a ticket on a train, i explained to him that since i didn't have a chance to buy a ticket esrlier, i couldn't use my discount .

Was he correct in saying i couldn't use my railcard to buy a ticket on the train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QANN93

The Guard was totally incorrect in that situation.
I thought so, i couldn't show him the railcards terms and conditions as my phone was dead. However it does make you think how bad the training is if he thought he was correct.
I didn't make a huge deal out of it as it was only a couple of quid extra. more curiousity than anything.

QANN93

The guard was wrong.

Did you raise it with ATW/TfW last year?
No, i didn't raise it as i assumed i was in the wrong, he was very insistant that you couldn't buy a ticket on the train with one.

It was only a couple of quid extra so i didn't make a fuss

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, i didn't raise it as i assumed i was in the wrong, he was very insistant that you couldn't buy a ticket on the train with one.

Train companies prosecute for less than £2, so I would have.

Too late now though.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

For future reference, if it happens again when you travel from an unstaffed station, keep all tickets/receipts and write to (or email) customer services - they'll be in a position to refund you any extra you're wrongly made to pay.

QANN93

For future reference, if it happens again when you travel from an unstaffed station, keep all tickets/receipts and write to (or email) customer services - they'll be in a position to refund you any extra you're wrongly made to pay.
Thank you. will keep that in mind.

Also, does owning a smartphone with ticket buying capabilities, mean that that I had a chance to buy a ticket before boarding if the boarding station did not have ticket machines

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thank you. will keep that in mind.

Also, does owning a smartphone with ticket buying capabilities, mean that that I had a chance to buy a ticket before boarding if the boarding station did not have ticket machines
Ticket facilities at a station refer solely to ticket machines, staff & ticket offices and does not extend to any mobile phone you may or may not be carrying.

gray1404

Established Member
The fact that the guard was not offering you the railcard discount when you had not previously had an opportunity to purchase a ticket meant that you still had not been offered a chance to purchase the full range of tickets with any railcard discounts upon coming into contact with him. Personally, I would have declined his offer to purchase a ticket without the railcard discount and said that I shall purchase from the next point in the journey when I am afforded my right to purchase the the full range with discounts.

Imagine if you only had the correct amount for the ticket available and could not afford the more expensive ticket.

Gunemdown

Hi there, this happened to me yesterday and the guard told me the exact same thing. Did you make a complaint?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Please start a separate thread if you want to discuss a separate incident.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I thought so, i couldn't show him the railcards terms and conditions as my phone was dead. However it does make you think how bad the training is if he thought he was correct.
I didn't make a huge deal out of it as it was only a couple of quid extra. more curiousity than anything.
Did you have a digital Railcard and were you able to show it at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.