• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket stock blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Apologies if this had been covered before, but is there a guide to all the different coloured ticket stock blanks i.e what type of ticket is printed on what colour stock, or can someone advise all the types please.
Thanks in advance.
The Colonel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
These days just about everything is issued on orange stock, apart from Seasons valid for 1 month or more.

Established Member
There used to be a good site on Fotopic with most of the info, but it has disappeared and not sure if there is a replacement around.

Greeby

This Flickr set covers most of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1rstclass/sets/72157626392337477/

Generally, the drive in the last few years has been towards getting as much on to common stock as possible. Even with the ones displayed at the link. The Duplicate and Replacement versions of Gold Cards seem to be on the way out, at least in this area. Once it's gone, it's gone.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
These days just about everything is issued on orange stock, apart from Seasons valid for 1 month or more.

I believe even monthlies are printed on common stock now in certain places. My mate has his monthly season printed on orange stock.

mikeg

Established Member
I believe even monthlies are printed on common stock now in certain places. My mate has his monthly season printed on orange stock.

So does my cousin. This is in North TPE-land. Don't know about longer seasons though.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Northern use orange stock for upto two months and the light blue stock for two months or above. The ticket machines print 'Duplicate' or 'Replacement' onto the tickets as required.

Aside from local stock (for which I include Travelcards and Goldcards), ticket offices have the common stock, common season stock and the three main railcards.

talltim

Established Member
I had the impression that all tickets were now on orange, until I recently bought a season for 38 days (upto Christomas) and they printed it on light blue. I asked about this and they said they used it for tickets of more than a month. I found this slightly strange as I have been buying monthlies extended to the next Friday for a while now, so they have all been longer than a month.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It might be possible that 01MxxD tickets are becoming common enough that TOCs are adjusting it to difference lengths above one month.

The Colonel

34D

Established Member
An interesting link thank you. What stocks have been done away with then? I'm sure some are not shown on this link. IIRC platform tickets and sleeper reservations used to have different colours. What others have gone?

I recall seeing 1 week and longer seasons (issued out of machines in the NSE area) on green paper.

Very interesting link - thanks

RPM

Established Member
There used to be a good site on Fotopic with most of the info, but it has disappeared and not sure if there is a replacement around.

Ah, yes, that was probably my ticket site "Rail Tickets UK" or "The Booking Office" as I later renamed it. No plans to reinstate it unless someone restarts Fotopic. I simply don't have the time or the heart to start it again from scratch.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

And Railcards.

RJ

Established Member
This Flickr set covers most of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1rstclass/sets/72157626392337477/

Generally, the drive in the last few years has been towards getting as much on to common stock as possible. Even with the ones displayed at the link. The Duplicate and Replacement versions of Gold Cards seem to be on the way out, at least in this area. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Still had hundreds of Duplicate/Replacement season tickets where I was for Gold Cards and Gold Travelcards. Anything up to and including one month was printed on common month, anything longer was on plain blue stock. Still had loads of each variant of blue Travelcard and even One Day Bus Passes.

island

Veteran Member
I recall seeing 1 week and longer seasons (issued out of machines in the NSE area) on green paper.

Very interesting link - thanks

I believe the Ascom Quickfares had different stock for seasons.

RPM

Established Member
I believe the Ascom Quickfares had different stock for seasons.

Yes, in addition to the two rolls of orange ticket stock they had a roll of green stock for weekly seasons. In my experience though, not that many got issued and there were sometimes problems with people buying them but not having a photocard.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Quickfares had rolls for ticket stock, orange for singles, returns, day travelcards and so on, and green for weekly season tickets (I don't ever remember them doing longer seasons though).

RPM

Established Member
Quickfares had rolls for ticket stock, orange for singles, returns, day travelcards and so on, and green for weekly season tickets (I don't ever remember them doing longer seasons though).

I don't think any TVM has ever issued seasons for longer periods than a week though I'm prepared to be corrected as I'm not very knowledgeable about the current generation of machines.

island

Veteran Member
Here we go then: Southeastern TVMs allow renewals (but not first issues) of one-month seasons.

RPM

Established Member
Well, I did say I was out-of-date on this issue, but wrestling this thread back on topic, on what ticket stock does said Southeastern TVM issue monthlies?

island

Veteran Member
SET TVMs are roll-fed with a single roll of common stock, AFAIK, ergo all monthlies will be issued on common stock.

Not that anyone should be buying monthlies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.