• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets from "Boundary Zone 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

frakur

Today I was travelling from Camden Road to Chelmsford, via Stratford. I bought a ticket from a machine at Camden Road, selecting "from another station" (my plan was to use Oyster to Stratford then switch to the paper ticket).

Rather than having to select an actual station name, it just asked which zone the station I was departing from was in. It printed out a ticket which said it was from "Boundary Zone 2". No restrictions, any route permitted. Since Camden Road is also in zone 2, I thought I'd just use it from there.

It didn't work in the barriers, but the station staff member came over, took a look at my ticket and let me through.

Is this ticket definitely valid for this route? It seems like it shouldn't be, since it's effectively cutting out the cost of my oyster to Stratford. On the other hand, there's nothing on the ticket which suggests it shouldn't be allowed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. I would have the same concerns as you about the ticket you bought not appearing to cover you for the part of your journey from Camden Road to the outer boundary of Zone 2. How much did the ticket cost? If we know that, we may be able to work out whether it was simply the ticket's self-description that was wrong.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A 'Boundary Zone' ticket is only valid if accompanied with an appropriate travelcard, in this case a Travelcard Season for Zones 1-2 or a Day Travelcard (which are only available for Zones 1-4 and 1-6).

Oyster PAYG or Contactless cannot be used in combination with a Boundary Zone ticket.

frakur

Thanks for the replies. I'd totally missed the word "boundary" on there (or I hadn't thought about it at least). Will make sure I don't buy that one again!

Status
Not open for further replies.