• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets on Collection - Debit Card Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

crodonilson

Hi All

I have an issue in that I ordered some tickets several weeks ago from Wolverhampton to Bristol next weekend. Since then I have had my wallet stolen with debit card in.

I didn't think this would be much of an issue but spoke to London Midland (whom I bought the tickets through even though the train is Cross Country) and they've said I won't be able to collect tickets and will need to re-book. Naturally the tickets are non-refundable and the price since then has nearly doubled.

Surely this can't be right?? I've book the tickets and paid for them and now they're saying I can't collect them even though I can produce I.D, replacement card and booking reference to prove who I am.

Can anyone help??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think whoever you have spoken to has fobbed you off to an extent. It is certainly possible for the ticket issuer to allow you to collect the tickets without the original card. Different companies have different policies and I am not 100% sure what the procedure is with London Midland, but I know that East Coast for example will allow you to go to an East Coast operated station with ID to collect your tickets, so long as you have spoken to web support about the problem in advance.

Is it web support you have spoken to? If so, you may be better speaking to customer services instead, as they tend to be able to operate additional discretion in circumstances such as these.

oversteer

I would ask them on Twitter @LondonMidland as well. Might get a more helpful answer when it is in the public domain... good luck.

Roverman

Go to the ticket office with reservation, new card and ID. They will ask you to sign for them.

eastdyke

Established Member
Go to the ticket office with reservation, new card and ID. They will ask you to sign for them.

This worked for me after my card chip went u/s and I had a new card issued. I went to booking office at the station I had nominated run by GA (though ticket was for EMT and issued by EMT).

It would probably be best to include address ID as well as photo ID.

Roverman

I took my photocard driving licence but it can deffo be sorted out, you do not need to buy new tickets.

KeithP

OP, your question is answered in London Midland's FAQs...
Question: I no longer have the credit/debit used to purchase my ticket as it has been lost or stolen. How do I collect my tickets?

Answer:In the event that you lose the credit/debit card used to purchase your tickets, or it is stolen, we will be unable to issue you with your tickets at the station. You should contact Web Support by telephone on 0121 634 2040 or by email via Contact Us.

eastdyke

Established Member
Yes, this was my point of contact on the first instance who advised me that I would have to purchase new tickets and as the originals were non-refundable I would have to purchase new ones.

But you do not want new tickets, just the ones that you have already paid for.

As Max says at post #2 you may have been rather 'fobbed off'. Go to your local booking office - real people face to face (better the one that you originally 'nominated') or try ringing again.

If other TOC's can do it, EC and EMT have already been mentioned here, then there is something very wrong if LM cannot.

Parham Wood

It is my view that the British do not complain enough. I would go to your local ) office as advised by this excellent forum. Secondly I would email the CEO of London Midland (you may have to do some digging to find this and copy it to the Rail Regulator with a complaint about incorrect information. (You could write instead if email info is not forthcoming). It may have no effect but in my experience it often has an effect even if LM ensure they have trained their staff better. If you do not reply complain to the Regulator. It may save other travellers being fleeced of their money by incorrect information.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
...........I have had my wallet stolen with debit card in.

Sorry to read this. It's a right bummer. Check your home insurance you may be able to claim for the value of the replacement tickets. If you have travel insurance you may also be covered? Check your policies.

Not sure about this so please check but you may have some redress via your card issuer too? Check on the MSE website for more info.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely this can't be right?? I've book the tickets and paid for them and now they're saying I can't collect them even though I can produce I.D, replacement card and booking reference to prove who I am.

All that should be fine, especially as the replacement card is probably the same numbers bar the last four digits?

How does it work when you get a new card (new expiry date, switch to contact less card) - can't a machine check the first 12 digits only, as these are still unique?

island

Veteran Member
How does it work when you get a new card (new expiry date, switch to contact less card) - can't a machine check the first 12 digits only, as these are still unique?

If it's not the card used for booking, it won't work! Simples.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

When you get a new card automatically you're still supposed to use the old one to pick up your tickets. It doesn't matter that it may no longer be valid for purchases.

jon0844

Veteran Member
When you get a new card automatically you're still supposed to use the old one to pick up your tickets. It doesn't matter that it may no longer be valid for purchases.

Ah, fair enough. Although that goes against the advice from the lender to destroy your old card immediately!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Ah, fair enough. Although that goes against the advice from the lender to destroy your old card immediately!

Indeed. I seem to recall a thread on here from someone who did that and then realised they had tickets to pick up. Think they managed to get it changed to an any card pick up.

Ediswan

Established Member

I doubt the lender envisaged the card being used as a pseudo identity document when they wrote the rules. The apparent conflict in advice arises from the TOCs using the card for a purpose for which it was never intended. So quite rightly, it is up to the TOC to sort things out when a card is lost/stolen/destroyed etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.