• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tight connection: Harwich International to ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterYoda

Turning up on the 2118hrs arriving GA service at Harwich International, as a foot passenger for the 2200hrs sailing.

Officially check in closes 45mins prior to departure.

I know it's the same building, so in theory if the train were on time it should be physically possible to board quickly, but then again they only have the bus up to the garage deck at Harwich. I suppose they like to bus all the passengers at once exactly 45mins prior?

Has anyone been on this tight connection? Does it work?

Recommended or not recommended?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romsey

If you have a contact number for the ferry terminal, ring them if you're running late. It's amazing what can be achieved by saying any chance?

Established Member
If you have a contact number for the ferry terminal, ring them if you're running late. It's amazing what can be achieved by saying any chance?
Station staff at Manningtree are also very good and are more likely to get through to the port quicker than trying a public line.

Are you using a rail-sail ticket, they seem to be better value than two separate tickets for train and ferry?
At one time this included onward travel to ANY station in Holland.
Sadly, that "perk" is no longer included, I think because the rail connection from Hook of Holland is now a tram type connection?

rvdborgt

Are you using a rail-sail ticket, they seem to be better value than two separate tickets for train and ferry?
Sadly, that "perk" is no longer included, I think because the rail connection from Hook of Holland is now a tram type connection?
No, because NS and RET can't get their act together. (and it's a metro :)

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you’re on the 21:18 arrival, within reason that connection is guaranteed, it’s the ‘official’ SailRail train so its likely the boat will wait if it’s been running up to around 90min late, though as mentioned above it’s worth speaking to station staff who can let the port know there’s someone for the ferry on that train.

Flying Snail

Established Member
No, because NS and RET can't get their act together. (and it's a metro :)

The tram/metro having to be paid separately is a nuisance but it does not prevent the former any NS station - Ferry - Any GA station ticket being offered.

It appears the only obstacle is that NS withdrew their part and don't want to re-instate it.

A S Leib

Is it (still) possible to buy the combined ticket online? Nothing's coming up for me looking for LST - Hoek fares on the Greater Anglia website two weeks in the future.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Is it (still) possible to buy the combined ticket online? Nothing's coming up for me looking for LST - Hoek fares on the Greater Anglia website two weeks in the future.
Not sure what you are trying but the GA page links to Stena Line to make a booking.

Looking at their booking many sailings are booked out in August.

A S Leib

Not sure what you are trying but the GA page links to Stena Line to make a booking.

Looking at their booking many sailings are booked out in August.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.