• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tilting diversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove past the Northampton loop of the WCML. It seems the main line is on the loop today, as I saw a pendolino slinking into hunsbury tunnel. It got me wondering, do they tilt anywhere on the Northampton loop? I know at one time, there was at least one pendo per day which was diagrammed to stop at Northampton, so it is (or has been) a normal route for them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David10

Fairly sure that no tilting occurs on the Northampton loop. Virgin operate a few early morning and late evening services a day this way for driver route retention.

Shame. The curve heading through Kingsthorpe mill, heading north from Northampton always used to look ace with a rake of mk3's doing 60, so a pendo tilting would have been just super

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The SRA once had a plan to implement tilt on the Northampton loop and the slow lines south of Hanslope, also the various diversionary routes around Birmingham (not at high speed).
Like a lot of things it got dumped in the final WCRM plan.

Phil H

Walked the dog and took the boys to the mill today. Pendolinos in abundance. Mind you they were barely doing 30mph, so tilting not really necessary is it?

Seems excessively slow. The speed limit always used to be 60. I remember seeing the old cast metal sign. Used to love early mornings down the mill with my dad and the dog. D/H 86's, 47's and 25's on freight. Even better when the main line was 'coming through'. Quite how my dad ever managed to cope with a million questions about reopening the market harborough line I'll never know.
(for the record, I still think they should, although some of the residents in the way in harborough may disagree!)

Status
Not open for further replies.