• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tilting trains and travelsickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It can, a study suggested that it affects people also prone to sea sickness around 20%. It was in one of the better railway magazines, might still have the issue.

The issue with tilt is that what your eyes see out of the window (if you have one) doesn't correspond to what you're feeling. This does make some people ill, and reducing the effect of it is why Pendolino and Voyager tilt doesn't completely remove the feeling of "G force" unlike the APT.

FWIW I found initially that Coach A (only) made me queasy (I guess because the tilt doesn't predict off the coach in front) though I got used to it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The issue with tilt is that what your eyes see out of the window (if you have one) doesn't correspond to what you're feeling. This does make some people ill, and reducing the effect of it is why Pendolino and Voyager tilt doesn't completely remove the feeling of "G force" unlike the APT.

Yes and that's why the APT-P without slight modifications to the tilt caused significant nausea in many people.

FWIW I found initially that Coach A (only) made me queasy (I guess because the tilt doesn't predict off the coach in front) though I got used to it.

Usually the worst ride as well I believe because of that fact that leading coach gives the tilt predictions to subsequent coaches.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes and that's why the APT-P without slight modifications to the tilt caused significant nausea in many people.

Usually the worst ride as well I believe because of that fact that leading coach gives the tilt predictions to subsequent coaches.
The ill-fated APT press run had many of the passengers indulging themselves on the free alcoholic beverages, which almost certainly added to the queasiness!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The ill-fated APT press run had many of the passengers indulging themselves on the free alcoholic beverages, which almost certainly added to the queasiness!

Very true, but originally it tilted to 9 degrees and each car tilted separately and often very suddenly on receiving the tilt signal. The engineers altered it to tilt to only 8 degrees (same as the 390 Pendolinos) and modified the system so that every car after the first one received its instruction to tilt off the one in front, this helped to lessen the chance of nausea by allowing some of the tilt forces to be felt by the passenger instead of cancelling them out all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.