• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timetable booklets

GWVillager

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am doing a bit of research into timetables.

What do people use printed/online timetables for? Are they able to provide information that a regular journey planner cannot?
They use them for discerning times! Some people just prefer accessing information by paper, and they can make connections easier to spot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The benefit of a paper timetable (as opposed to an online journey planner) is that you can see the overall service on a route, the frequency and pattern, back-up options, etc. For those of us who aren’t in the ‘click and blindly follow digital instructions’ generation it’s a vastly preferable format.

(Edit - just to clarify, I’m still under 40!)

Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Hiking and wildcamping in the Lakes or Dales. Plans often change depending on the weather and how much energy you have. There’s no electricity to keep a smartphone charged, no wifi, and often no mobile signal. I go to these places to get away from always being contactable, so why would I take a smartphone with me in the first place? Northern’s excellent “Coast, Lakes, Dales & Fells” timetable booklet in my rucksack does the job just fine.

The exile

Established Member
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am doing a bit of research into timetables.

What do people use printed/online timetables for? Are they able to provide information that a regular journey planner cannot?
A journey planner won’t, for example show you a “connection” that is one minute less than the minimum - yet is eminently achievable for most people. It won’t show you (without you asking it) that you’ve set your (fairly arbitrary) departure time just at the most awkward time of the day where the service is at its thinnest. That’s just for start.
Probably exaggerating a little but think of the difference between being able to read and having to rely on someone else to do it for you. The latter had its place, but the former liberates you from other peoples’ control. Same with journey planners (don’t get me wrong, they’re very useful) and proper timetables.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member

PeterC

Established Member
For short or medium distance journeys frequency and service pattern are more important than a specific departure.

A pdf is perfectly adequate for me, I'll print it off if I feel the need.

trainJam

Quickly identify trains which do not stop at all stations, see first and last trains and view minimum connection times (but also make invalid connections).

I suppose I'll accept the pdf electronic national rail timetable in lieu of TOC printed timetables. It's slightly easier to spot patterns on a larger monitor or print-out than on a mobile telephone screen.

Some WMT timetables have train lengths at the top (although not easy to read sometimes)

One advantage with eNRT is that it also includes train reporting IDs and minimum connection times as well as having a plain but simple design.

Glad to say that XC have taken on board the feedback from their Summer 2023 Printed Timetables and have reprinted for the Winter 23/24 period.
I obtained a copy of the version for Nottm - Bham - Cardiff and Stansted Airport Services yesterday (Sat 2 Dec) from....of all places....Bedford Station!

 Bedford also had photocopied Marston Vale Line Schedules (Mainly Buses of course but updated to include the 4 Trains each way)

vlad

Glad to say that XC have taken on board the feedback from their Summer 2023 Printed Timetables and have reprinted for the Winter 23/24 period.
I obtained a copy of the version for Nottm - Bham - Cardiff and Stansted Airport Services yesterday (Sat 2 Dec) from....of all places....Bedford Station!
At least that's a railway station, so it's less weird than where I got my copy of the May-December main XC timetable. That was the tourist information centre in Hugh Town on the Isles of Scilly. I do realise that there's an easy link from there to Penzance station, although it is by sea....

TUC

Established Member
Most people? All those passengers on the Elizabeth Line, London Overground and other suburban seevices have explicitly planned to be on their specific trains?
No, but there's a basic rule. If you want to understand the UK on any issue, disregard London as it is so unrepresentative.

Ian Hardy

No, but there's a basic rule. If you want to understand the UK on any issue, disregard London as it is so unrepresentative.
The London Overground service between Edmonton Green and Cheshunt is only every 30 minutes, as are the direct Elizabeth Line services between Shenfield and Heathrow so for some London rail services you do need a timetable as it is no good turning up 1 minute after the half hourly service has departed.

PeterC

Established Member
My example used a line in London but the word suburban was was used without specifying a city. Did I imagine the turn up and go frequencies into Leeds when I was in West Yorkshire?

The first thing that I want to know about a journey of less than around 100 miles is how often and how late the trains run.

Last edited:
I think you'll be very lucky to find a printed 'Surburban' timetable again. Indeed, apart from XC's commendable effort I think the only ones on offer from now in would be for lines which are on the 'Touristy' radar. So things like Northern's Lakes and Fells one which contains S+C etc. Also Scottish ones for WHL etc. All of these can be disturbed beyond the station environment, to local tourist offices hotels etc

trainJam

Crosscountry have produced new timetable booklets for the December 2023 timetable.

The table shading is blue instead of red this time.

Western 52

I've not seen a TfW printed timetable booklet for a while, but if such a thing still exists, it would be a true work of fiction!

Llandudno

Established Member
I've not seen a TfW printed timetable booklet for a while, but if such a thing still exists, it would be a true work of fiction!
Indeed they are a work of fiction, mind you pretty much the same as Northern’s are west of the Pennines!

Nell01joe

I did pick up Norwich - Sheringham and Ipswich - Lowestoft/Felixstowe this summer from G Anglia dont know if any more of their routes were printed.

Gathursty

Established Member
I was pleasantly surprised to pick up a copy of the forthcoming Cross Country timetable at Wigan North Western last night. Unfortunately during some recent renovation works the leaflet racks were removed, so the timetables were everywhere.
Stumbled across this post. Odd indeed. I wonder if someone had left it there as I've no idea why XC would have literature in a station 20 miles from their nearest calling point (Manchester Piccadilly).

janb

Stumbled across this post. Odd indeed. I wonder if someone had left it there as I've no idea why XC would have literature in a station 20 miles from their nearest calling point (Manchester Piccadilly).

They just get sent everywhere it seems. Received a box in my small Northern outpost.

route101

Established Member
Yet Edinburgh Waverley has none.