• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tiverton Parkway to become a Penalty Fares Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Yesterday I heard from an Extremely reliable source that Tiverton Parkway is going to be a Penalty Fares Station In the next few weeks. So just a heads up and also are there any other stations FGW are making Penalty Fares stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halsebee

Can someone please explain how a penalty fares station can work if none of the other stations nearby are penalty fare stations?

Goatboy

Established Member
Can someone please explain how a penalty fares station can work if none of the other stations nearby are penalty fare stations?

The next station along - Exeter St Davids - is a penalty fare station.

Infact bizarrely all of the main stations but none of the intermediate stations between Exeter and Truro are apparently Penalty Fare zones and have been for a number of years. Despite using them regularly I'd never actually noticed..

DavidBrown

I must admit I though that a substantial number of stations in Devon already were Penalty Fare stations? I think that, apart from Tivvy Parkway, Barnstaple and possibly Totnes, all staffed and TVM stations already are Penalty Fare stations.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given the DfT has to approve Penalty fare schemes, a request to the DfT under the Freedom of Information Act may be of use here; although they have the right to several weeks to reply, by which time if the OP's source is correct it may already be one.

RPI

Established Member
Not heard about this and lets just say that if it were planned then I would be in the know! unfounded!

Goatboy

Established Member
Why would such a source know any more about plans for Tiverton than somebody on the checkout at Sainsburys would know about store expansion plans?

I'm still not sure I fully understand the point in Penalty Fare Zones in Devon and Cornwall - surely its more suited to frequent urban commuter lines. That said the fact it's been in force for 5+ years and I'd never noticed must show it's not really a problem or issue for the majority of the travelling public.

Status
Not open for further replies.