• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top Gear on the GCR shown July 17, BBC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flymo

Established Member
The Top Gear episode filmed on the GCR recently is on BBC2 this Sunday July 17 at 8pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012qrz1

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to make train travel cheaper, faster and more interesting by replacing the conventional carriages and locomotive with a series of caravans attached to a specially modified car.

Edit : Press release from GCR

Something tells me it will be a hoot....

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Heinz57

I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like its going to be a good laugh. I seen a advert for it on BBC1 yesterday, looks pretty funny.

Not only do we have the boys making trains, but the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car this week is Rowan Atkinson!

I'm realy looking forward to this weeks TG now!

GearJammer

It was a bloody good laugh. Was good to see everyone getting involved and and into the spirit of things, fair play to the owners of the peak for letting it be used to smash up a caravan.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Brilliant episode this week enjoyed both their alternative 'train' designs but also the section with Rowan Atkinson. Also didn't see that collision between the Peak and the caravan coming, but also what is it about Peaks and colliding with things at speed? First a nuclear flask now a caravan!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It was certainly a good laugh, though the minute I saw Hammond with a bottle of cooking oil I could see the fate of the Buffet car. Also, in Standard Class the seat to window alignment was worse than on a Voyager!

Great episode, great to see Rowan Atkinson on as a guest finally!

LE Greys

Established Member
i just love how he managed to get it to do over 80MPH!! i mean, thats faster than a pacer :P

It may have been speeded up. The GCR speed limit is supposed to be 25, and it seems unlikely that they would be allowed to go over it. If he had reached that speed, he would probably have ended up in the canal. I saw a few slightly dodgy bits of editing, with them crossing Swithland Viaduct several times despite it only supposed to be a single trip.

Funny thing is, the idea of cars on rails has been used as a serious means of transport. There was a line in Paraguay called the Autovia that had dilapidated Ford 8s as its rolling stock. 2ft gauge, I believe, and apparently not very well maintained, but the old cars would bucket along at remarkable speeds. My only source of information on it is a Gerald Durrell book - he travelled along the line a few times on one of his collecting trips. It was apparently a nerve-wracking experience.

theblackwatch

Established Member
The GCR speed limit is actually 75 mph in a lot of sections.

Knowing one of the passengers in the 'TGV12', he did tell me a couple of days after the event that it certainly was not a smooth ride!

LE Greys

Established Member
When Clarkson produced the picture of that broad gauge locomotive (designed by Gooch, not Brunel, Brunel's engines were not good runners) he might not have realised that it was a Rover class. Mind you, these weren't much like the products of Longbridge, they weighed 70-odd tons and could thunder along the GWR at 70 or 80 mph. That's a challenge for the people who built North Star if ever I thought of one.

Established Member
Harrogates? James May could bid for the entire TPE franchise and win it with that.

After all, they only had just the one fire on the Caravan Pullman.

Crossover

Established Member
Just watched this today - as funny as ever from the TG team!
Hammond should have left May to most of the announcements...he was catering manager so it was up to May to announce station calls etc...good old bit of DOO :P
Overall, the end results were no worse than a Pacer....(TGV12 was vastly quicker), no more draughty, no more bouncy, had the same number of wheels per carriage, had a loo without retention tank, had better catering provision, didn't drop its engine or gearbox assembly and was overtaken by quicker trains :lol:

Lrd

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the "TGV12"'s carriage only had one axle with 2 wheels in the middle. This is what the last few shots looked like.

Wyvern

Established Member
It was the caravan train that had two axles per carriage which is what he meant

Lrd

Established Member
The caravan's were modified to have "a wheel in each corner" according to Hammond and we were shown this. The TGV12 carriage only had 2 wheels, in the centre.

Edit:
Sorry, I know where your coming from now, it was me who mis-read the post! Whoops :oops:

Hydro

Established Member
The caravans had the splittable P-way trolleys bolted underneath them, one half at each end :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought it was a very funny show - just the right amount of childish humour!

The worrying thing is that Northern will get that stock cascaded to them - and it will still be better than a pacer!

passmore

I thought it was excellent, a positive 'two finger salute' to the health & safety bureaucracy we have in this country. Clarkson is my hero as some of you may have gathered. A man who cuts through the arid sterility of PC like a knife through butter.

They really don't like caravans much, do they? :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought it was excellent, a positive 'two finger salute' to the health & safety bureaucracy we have in this country. Clarkson is my hero as some of you may have gathered. A man who cuts through the arid sterility of PC like a knife through butter.

They really don't like caravans much, do they? :lol:

but that is all an act! He isnt really like that:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.