• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top speed of various London Underground stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiftFan

I was wondering the other day whilst on the Central line coming up to Epping, what London Underground stock is capable of the highest speed (Limiters disabled)? I have head stories of the A stock frequently hitting 75+ MPH, compared to the S stock only being able to go 62... I have also heard about the Jubilee sets having a high top speed although on the deep level trains the bouncier ride always does feel faster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
S Stock will only motor to 62, it will, however go considerably faster downhill.

Dstock7080

Established Member
S Stock will only motor to 62, it will, however go considerably faster downhill.
Certainly on the MET, on District/H&C maximum they will go is 48mph, restricted to 42mph in non weak-field areas.
Maximum permitted Line speed is currently 45mph (likely to be raised to 62mph upon ATC)
Acceleration rates and maximum speed are set by software from station beacons.

Last edited:

321over360

There are videos on youtube taken on eastern ends of the Central Lines where the 92 stock does get up to some decent speed between stations, this is also evident in long tunnel sections like Mile End to Stratford, especially on the Eastbound tunnel as when the trains hit a vent the train carriages wobble about due to the speed with the 92s top speed also being 62mph, however alot of services come into platforms still at significant speed

video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-PWLCbL9Q

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Victoria line feels quite fast on the long (ish) sections (Kings Cross to Highbury/Finsbury to Seven Sisters)

bramling

Veteran Member
I was wondering the other day whilst on the Central line coming up to Epping, what London Underground stock is capable of the highest speed (Limiters disabled)? I have head stories of the A stock frequently hitting 75+ MPH, compared to the S stock only being able to go 62... I have also heard about the Jubilee sets having a high top speed although on the deep level trains the bouncier ride always does feel faster.

Central line speed is 100 kph in many open sections, although 92 stock has been restricted to 85 kph since the Chancery Lane derailment. The maximum line speed in the tunnel sections is 65 kph for most maybe even all.

Victoria Line max is 50 mph which is frequently achieved.

Jubilee Line max is 60 mph and this is frequently achieved although the trains do hang below this on uphill sections.

Northern Line max is currently 50 mph, in the open and in a few tunnel sections. There are plans to enhance to 60 mph although I'm not sure exactly where. The 50 is frequently achieved, in the tunnel sections this is between Kennington and Waterloo and between Highgate and East Finchley northbound only.

Picc Line I believe is officially 45 mph, although higher speeds are often reached. Oakwood to Southgate wb is a favourite, as is Hounslow West to Hatton Cross both, and fastest of all is Heathrow T123 to T5 web where 60 can be reached.

Last edited:

sk688

Pretty sure the Jubilee can get up to 50 , especially on the JLE

Out of intrest , what is the fastest speed DLR , Overground and the Waterloo and City trains would achieve in service ?

Out of intrest , what is the fastest speed DLR , Overground and the Waterloo and City trains would achieve in service ?

For the ELL it's possible to briefly get up to 60mph (linespeed) between Anerley and Norwood Junction. Very very occasionally, a train may run at 70mph between Sydenham and New Cross Gate if it's switched onto the fast (misses out intermediate stations). Very rare though.

Within the tunnelled section, the highest linespeed is 40mph, and 378's have a published maximum speed of 75mph.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Some years back someone in a rush back with the last ety (72 stock) from H & W to SPK Dt reached 70 but also ripped out a few coping stones from the platform at Wembley Central on the way.

The 'Leaf Train' (RAT) was estimated at around 80 to 90 on the downhill from Chalfont to Chorleywood many moons ago - it could build up a good speed if it had a clear run and with not having to stop at Chorleywood. Officially it was supposed to trundle round at 15 mph to give an even spread of Sandite - though it never ran that slow as it would have ended up impeding the service.

Before more speed control signals were put in you could get up to 60 on the 'Cresta Run' between SJW and Baker 7. The practice of hammering down to Baker Street was frowned upon as the heavy braking required to stop often left platform 7 shrouded in a cloud of brake dust.

C stock seemed to be the most sluggish - even on night turns that took them fast up to Wembley Park they never seemed to reach a good turn of speed.

sk688

For the ELL it's possible to briefly get up to 60mph (linespeed) between Anerley and Norwood Junction. Very very occasionally, a train may run at 70mph between Sydenham and New Cross Gate if it's switched onto the fast (misses out intermediate stations). Very rare though.

Within the tunnelled section, the highest linespeed is 40mph, and 378's have a published maximum speed of 75mph.

Thanks

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Rapid acceleration is far more important than top end speed. I would imagine the trains rarely get up to speed due to the frequent stop start nature of the network, but it is interesting to see how fast these things can actually go!

sk688

Rapid acceleration is far more important than top end speed. I would imagine the trains rarely get up to speed due to the frequent stop start nature of the network, but it is interesting to see how fast these things can actually go!

That would be true for lines like the Victoria , Jubilee and lines like those , but for longer lines like the Met , top speed would be more important , especially on the fast lines , for example trains going fast from Finchley Road to Harrow , would be quicker if their top speed was 70mph ,rather than 62 as it is on the S8 units . I believe the A60 units were capable of 70 , as were the 1992 stock , but that is no longer the case

bramling

Veteran Member

This was the case in the past, but trains are now sufficiently powerful that top speed can be routinely reached, particularly on longer sections. Lines like the Jubilee and Victoria have quite a few longer sections. A lot still depends on gradient though, particularly with the older fleets.

A 95 stock will quitehappiy reach 50 mph between Highgate and East Finchley nb on a steep rising gradient, which is quite an achievement.

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
That would be true for lines like the Victoria , Jubilee and lines like those , but for longer lines like the Met , top speed would be more important , especially on the fast lines , for example trains going fast from Finchley Road to Harrow , would be quicker if their top speed was 70 mph ,rather than 62 as it is on the S8 units . I believe the A60 units were capable of 70 , as were the 1992 stock , but that is no longer the case

You have to watch your speed on some sections in an S8, if speeds are increased there are other issues such as signal sighting times and track quality, gradients are also relevant, you could probably reach 80 south from Amersham but would you want to on that gradient.

I suspect that it would be possible to increase the speed of S stock by tweaking the computer, but probably with the loss of acceleration and as the majority of the work S stock do is not on the fast lines, probably not worthwhile.

rebmcr

Established Member
S8s need to retain the same acceleration profile as the S7s, for pathing between Baker Street and Aldgate.

philthetube

Established Member
S8's have two different acceleration profiles, as did the A stock.

On the A stock it was switched between the two using the weak field switch, (flag)

On the S stock it changes automatically at Finchley Road, on both stocks it effectively it is changing the gearing. The S7's do not have this and so when one is taken to Neasden it's maximum speed is around 40mph

rebmcr

Established Member
S8's have two different acceleration profiles, as did the A stock.

On the A stock it was switched between the two using the weak field switch, (flag)

On the S stock it changes automatically at Finchley Road, on both stocks it effectively it is changing the gearing. The S7's do not have this and so when one is taken to Neasden it's maximum speed is around 40mph

I thought Weak Field was something cut-in when already in motion and with the power handle in the highest notch?

Dstock7080

Established Member
I thought Weak Field was something cut-in when already in motion and with the power handle in the highest notch?
On LU trains, until '09 and S Stock the weak-field switch could not be reached by the driver while the train was in motion, it had to be set while stationary.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Is the S7+1 still running about, or has it gone now? How did that manage to stick to time when it ended up on an Amersham or a Chesham?
There are two S7+1s still on the MET 21323/24, staying until ATC conversions finished and 21327/28 - this will be staying permanently.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
On LU trains, until '09 and S Stock the weak-field switch could not be reached by the driver while the train was in motion, it had to be set while stationary.

Providing the flag hadn't been snapped off as was the case on many A60s

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Is the S7+1 still running about, or has it gone now? How did that manage to stick to time when it ended up on an Amersham or a Chesham?

As far as the software goes (which is ultimately what governs the acceleration and braking rates on the S stock; in all cases they are capped performance wise) the S7+1s are pretty much identical to the S8s, so there are no performance issues.

bramling

Veteran Member

...but could be reached by anyone travelling in the cab with the driver, or for that matter by an instructor with the train being driven by a trainee. I bet the flags on D stock were swapped over a fair few times by this means!

Nym

Established Member
...but could be reached by anyone travelling in the cab with the driver, or for that matter by an instructor with the train being driven by a trainee. I bet the flags on D stock were swapped over a fair few times by this means!

And if you're tall and stretchy you could probably reach the flags on D Stock while driving, especially if you're driving left handed.

philthetube

Established Member
Providing the flag hadn't been snapped off as was the case on many A60s

I never saw a train with the flag snapped off on an A60, they were removed on 59stock and maybe on others, thee was no reason to break one off, having it present improved performance.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I never saw a train with the flag snapped off on an A60, they were removed on 59stock and maybe on others, thee was no reason to break one off, having it present improved performance.

The was a certain "eccentric/mad" (delete as appropriate) personage who used to 'collect' them.
Rumour also has it that this same person also had Sherlock Holmes tiles in their bathroom.

dmncf

Some years back someone in a rush back with the last ety (72 stock) from H & W to SPK Dt reached 70 but also ripped out a few coping stones from the platform at Wembley Central on the way.

Nice one! I wonder if that Bakerloo line driver is the one who closes the doors about 3 seconds after opening them, regardless of whether passengers have finished alighting and boarding. Always fun when you're trying to descend the cliff onto the train at Willesden Junction with a buggy and a young child! :roll:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Nice one! I wonder if that Bakerloo line driver is the one who closes the doors about 3 seconds after opening them, regardless of whether passengers have finished alighting and boarding. Always fun when you're trying to descend the cliff onto the train at Willesden Junction with a buggy and a young child! :roll:

No - it was some time ago - He did lost his ticket after the Wembley Central incident.

LiftFan

I honestly can't imagine a 72 clocking 70mph, must be a very bouncy ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.