• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tornado to the rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
Passengers were rescued by a steam locomotive after modern rail services were brought to a halt by the snowy conditions in south-east England.

Trains between Ashford and Dover were suspended on Monday when cold weather disabled the electric rail.

Some commuters at London Victoria faced lengthy delays until Tornado - Britain's first mainline steam engine in 50 years - offered them a lift.

They were taken home "in style", said the Darlington-built engine's owners.

Train services in Kent were hit hard by the freezing conditions at the start of the week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8428097.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Have they ever heard of diesel?

I like tornado, I think its an amazing feat thats been put togeter by hand..but im sick of hearing about it on everything such as pathfinders tour calender.

Gimmie EE anyday! :D (20, 37, 50, 55, lightning anything will do)

D107

Surely being rescued by a steam loco is newsworthy in itself, let alone the fact that it was "T*****o"??!! ;)

Daimler

Established Member
Second time a Cathedrals Express has rescued passengers on the Southern Region.

Wish I'd been on board to see their faces!

Established Member
Perhaps it can rescue Eurostar if they screw up again!!!

That would be good but not for the footplate crew or anyone in the chunnel at the time, saw a vid of Sir Nigel out of a tunnel at hadley wood(?) and the steam took ages to clear, imagaine that in the chunnel :)

43021HST

Established Member
Have they ever heard of diesel?

I like tornado, I think its an amazing feat thats been put togeter by hand..but im sick of hearing about it on everything such as pathfinders tour calender.

Gimmie EE anyday! :D (20, 37, 50, 55, lightning anything will do)

Theres nought wrong with a bit of steam, I would love to be rescued by Tornado, that would make my day, but if it was kent I would prefer it to be a Merchant Navy.

Micky Redmire

"If any of the train operators want to modernise their services by using steam trains, I would be happy to give them a quote."
There have been some fine winter videos of Tornado, Sir Nigel Gresley and Bittern posted on the internet in the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.