• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tornado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Rail_WAy

Apparently shes allowed to max speed of 90mph on the mainline which probably explains why shes so quick. Would love to see that.

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently shes allowed to max speed of 90mph on the mainline which probably explains why shes so quick. Would love to see that.

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

As far as I know this trip will be 75mph. I think 90mph is something for the future

Darandio

Established Member
Looking to be there for the departure from Newcastle later on, might even catch it going north at Northallerton while on todays travels.

andylloyd

Looking to be there for the departure from Newcastle later on, might even catch it going north at Northallerton while on todays travels.

If your going to Newcastle be aware of the over zealous platform staff.
Safe bet would be to sign in to see it and not risk a run in like I did last weekend ;)

Darandio

Established Member
If your going to Newcastle be aware of the over zealous platform staff.
Safe bet would be to sign in to see it and not risk a run in like I did last weekend ;)

TBH, i have never had a problem. Plus, i am arriving by rail then departing by rail so have a very valid reason for being there! I am also with my 3yo daughter so I shouldnt look too threatening, unless she is a decoy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just got a text from someone from ferryhill saying it had just passed through more or less to time.

D841

As far as I know this trip will be 75mph. I think 90mph is something for the future

Pacifics have a 75 mph limit on Network Rail, but the 74 minute timing for York - Newcastle did make me wonder whether this trip is timed faster. Can it be done in 74 minutes at max. 75 mph?

I know there is a lot of pressure to get the loco certified for 90 mph, and why not? It's brand new, ticks all the safety boxes and would be easier to path on our modern high speed railway.

The_Rail_WAy

Fantastic photos - you should be proud. May sound like a daft question but how come she was allowed to run light engine on the mainline without a support coach?

May I say she looks absolutely fantastic as well.

Darandio

Established Member
I am also wondering now whether to go and chase it again tomorrow, this time at Durham. It's also getting held at Tursdale on the northbound leg for 16 minutes so that could be an opportunity for someone in the area.

LilLoaf

Fantastic photos - you should be proud. May sound like a daft question but how come she was allowed to run light engine on the mainline without a support coach?

May I say she looks absolutely fantastic as well.

Thanks it was tricky to get good pics. I was wondering that like, suppose it was jus a short hop to Tyne Yard, i thought it was going to Heaton was going to go up there on the metro between Newcastle visits, it didn't so i went to snooker club instead to pass the time.

The_Rail_WAy

What was she doing at Tyne yard - stabling point?

Nevertheless I thought it was a pre-requisite that all steam locos on the mainline had to run with a support coach. Only thing I can think is it may be something to do with her beig a new-build.

Darandio

Established Member
What was she doing at Tyne yard - stabling point?

Nevertheless I thought it was a pre-requisite that all steam locos on the mainline had to run with a support coach. Only thing I can think is it may be something to do with her beig a new-build.

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t0131b.htm

That is where she went in between, timings for the journey and the pre/post stabling and movement are here:-

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t0131b.htm

Also tommorows timings are here, and she is heading north to Tyne Yard again after terminating at Durham.

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t0201a.htm

Darandio

Established Member
Some excellent shots, a few that represent me today, obviously I saw Tornado, but that GC set passing Newcastle was the one I had got off at Sunderland. Shame I couldn't have hitched a ride following the struggle that followed between Sunderland and Newcastle.

almark

cheers mate,yeah saw the GC HST arriving into Newcastle,unfortunatley the light had dropped a bit by that time though (what was the problem between Sunderland and Newcastle?)

Cheers,
Mark

Darandio

Established Member
It was metro related, "potential" overhead problem at Stadium Of Light". The Metro was stranded in platform 4 at Sunderland, awaiting the overhead inspection to arrive. Luckily, the Hexham bound Northern Rail service was diverted into platform 1 so I jumped on there in time to see Tornado.

Established Member
They are aloud to do it.But they only run light engine if they need to turn the loco round.

Nice shots there

James

Yep, presume it just went for a round the bridges to get it facing the right way again. Remember at Crewe on the open weekend a few years ago now a kettle was there on a tour, we were waiting for 37425 which had been on a jolly up the NWC, think it was a vintage trains one (the kettlex). It was running around the station L/E then went down to LNWR to pick the stock up, when it arrived in the driver was an ex railway collegue of my dads and they were having a chat, had just been to turn the loco so it faced the right way for the return, so presume they can get away with it for stuff like that, dunno of any other instances but i don't see kettles very often on the mainline anyway.

34067James

Just noticed you shots Mark :o lucky git you had a ride with Tornado :p I take it your a member or support of Torndao as this was a member's support's train and not for the members of pubic .

Yep, presume it just went for a round the bridges to get it facing the right way again. Remember at Crewe on the open weekend a few years ago now a kettle was there on a tour, we were waiting for 37425 which had been on a jolly up the NWC, think it was a vintage trains one (the kettlex). It was running around the station L/E then went down to LNWR to pick the stock up, when it arrived in the driver was an ex railway collegue of my dads and they were having a chat, had just been to turn the loco so it faced the right way for the return, so presume they can get away with it for stuff like that, dunno of any other instances but i don't see kettles very often on the mainline anyway.

Yes your are right about that for when they go light engine its for a turn round which I prefer as you don't have a MK1 or MK 2 behind the Steam Engine ;)

James

Last edited:

almark

Cheers mate,yeah we arent members yet (we were guests of a member freind today luckily) obviously we are going to be members its such a great engine!!

Cheers,
Mark

rogACE

hi guys,
the kids sums it all up !!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QSWh1qlhhxs
and this is mine
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6EC8Mf52_5Y
just got back home to london after our trip to york and travel on tornado to NCL,
we had a super day and everyone was sooo happy...
we met alexa and mark and david and graham who are all the trustees from A1 steam trust who are so nice...
we had a blast !
have u seen the youtube clips ripping through durham...wow!
and we sped round thru the freight loop around the back of darlington at high speed...
she goes like a jaguar...
met tyne tees news at NCL and also met driver donald hutchinson who drove the A1's when new, charming old chap,
he's 91 see tyne tees tv news clip on their website for his interview
and bcc.co.uk/tyne

am on tornado next sat to london yippeeeeeeee

ps
the naming ceremony is expected soon, gonna be very big event, and lotsa other events hopefully in the pipeline too...
please please she needs more sponsors,
if you fancy joining up for only £5 a month (which is not much) you can enjoy yourwself and know you are contributing to british history
thanks

Last edited:

JoshW1992

Established Member
Must have been an unbelieveable run. I have seen photos and videos, especially one of leaving York, running to Newcastle, abord the train, and every viewing point is packed with people, every station, every bridge. Its amazing. I'd like to see a diesel make a better performance ;)

rogACE

Must have been an unbelieveable run. I have seen photos and videos, especially one of leaving York, running to Newcastle, abord the train, and every viewing point is packed with people, every station, every bridge. Its amazing. I'd like to see a diesel make a better performance ;)

wotsa a diesel:p

CraigS

Established Member
Yes your are right about that for when they go light engine its for a turn round which I prefer as you don't have a MK1 or MK 2 behind the Steam Engine ;)

I believe that steam locos are not allowed to take their support coaches on turning moves if there's no loco at the other end or, I may be wrong with this point, outside station shunting limits. Back in July 2007 when Tangmere did a CathEx to Canterbury and Faversham, it was sent to Swale, then ran tender first from there to Rainham (Kent), then back to Faversham. And it did that on it's own, no support coaches, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.