• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tornado

Status
Not open for further replies.

34067James

Cheers Dainel & Mark 8-)

Yeah I am sure I saw you now think it was when Tornado left we were walking back down platform 17/18 and I think you was with your grandad (I think)

Next time I see you I say Hi , Thats if it is you :lol:

Welcome to the fourms Railway,

Was you up on those flats? :-?

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Rail_WAy

Welcome to the forum Railway, some fantastic shots - not bad for your first post!

I think there may be some confusion between the two of us though as we have similar names! :D

The_Rail_WAy

almark

Cheers Dainel & Mark 8-)

Yeah I am sure I saw you now think it was when Tornado left we were walking back down platform 17/18 and I think you was with your grandad (I think)

Next time I see you I say Hi , Thats if it is you :lol:

Welcome to the fourms Railway,

Was you up on those flats? :-?

James

lol i was on the end as it went out,but that was my dad lol (dont worry i wont tell him lol) i was with a mate but he went missing somewhere on Waterloo and later asked where i was from a WMC in NLondon!:lol:

LilLoaf

Anyone know the times for the run up to Edinburgh this weekend coming (28th). Mainly interested in times North of Newcastle as i am trying to photo it going along the coast just after Berwick.

The times on the A1 website for the big T are not much help, as they just say York 0930 and into Edinburgh 1430. I don't see how it can take that long. The times i've worked out based on them are:
York 0930
Newcastle - 1045 - 1055
Edinburgh - 1315

Say where 1430 comes from i've no idea. I'd say my times are generally ok, not spot on obvously but if anyone has got any better times then drop a comment.

Cheers LilLoaf

I was at Edinburgh on Saturday 28th, and, from the photographer's and railfan's point of view, it was a nightmare!
Photographing Tornado was very difficult, though not impossible. The principle problem was photographers getting in each others way - I witnessed one vicious shouting-match. It also has to be said that Edinburgh Waverley is NOT an ideal site for taking pictures, with fencing and OHL gear getting in the way. Also, the LAYOUT of Waverley mitigates against the fan, with the through lines being confined to the northern & southern extremities of the station. The only place you could get a decent shot was from Princes Street Gardens, behind the hedges. I tried, but the site was occupied by others, who refused to budge, even for 2 minutes - selfish b*****ds. I had to make do with a frontal shot from one of the 3 pathways above the eastern portal of the Mound Tunnels. I later got a better shot from the western end of Market Street, though I had to avoid the trees.
The carriages pulled by Tornado were a disgrace. At least 6 different liveries, and ALL in a disgusting state of (external) repair. I hope that, internally, they were a lot better
I certainly won't be at Waverley on the 7th

LilLoaf

Trying to get pictures of it at Newcastle (end of January) was just as bad, mainly people in high vis jackets pretending to be important kept getting in the way and saying no shouting aggresively stand back.

I got on my hands and knees at one point so the bloke behind me could get a photo he was a elderly gentlemen so he could hardly get on his hands and knees easilly. So i said when it came in i'd get on the floor and get my pics from that angle. He was very pleased. However others were not so friendly and a lot of bull in china shop antics were going on.

Looking at the prices for Tornado tours some are like £100 or more for a ticket. For what state the carriages are in its a joke. Tornado group obvously think "ah well its a rare loco people just want a ride behind we'll put anything on and charge what we like". This is not the way to do business. I've never seen it with decent carriages on ever. Put some Pullman carriages on then charge £100 at ticket and then its worth if they include a meal for that aswell.

From now on i take my pics from a field not a station like i did on the Edinburgh trip.

Here them pics if any wants to have a look. http://jamie786.fotopic.net/c1660229.html

The_Rail_WAy

Certainly a strange alignment of coaches there - very suprised to see ye' olde blood n custard carriages on a Tornado tour!

The tique coaching stock that were often used on the ecml (with the A4's and A1's in particular) would look quite smart behind Torado? Not sure if anyare up to mainline standard though.

rogACE

i've travelled on big T's trips all of em except the EDI one and the stock inside the mk1's is very nice, the crimson cream riviera stock is lovely.
good upholstery in first and second class....
the mk2's which are second class are ok...

The_Rail_WAy

i've travelled on big T's trips all of em except the EDI one and the stock inside the mk1's is very nice, the crimson cream riviera stock is lovely.
good upholstery in first and second class....
the mk2's which are second class are ok...

Impressive!:D

Although the colours of the coaches vary I did'nt think they looked that bad, although I have ony seen photo evidence. As you said, from your own experience the interiors are fine which is always good to hear.

ladysue

The ride and interior of the carriages was fine when I went on Tornado's Valentines tour. What was dissapointing, from my point of view was not being able to get any decent photos cause of the crowds of people.It would be good, if they want to go photographers to support the train by travelling on it (rather than standing lineside), if they could have a couple of stops away from the crowds.

almark

The only way to do it is to run down the platform as i did at Edinburgh,i walked at York on the first one and got nowhere near it!

Cheers,
Mark

Daimler

Established Member
Certainly a strange alignment of coaches there - very suprised to see ye' olde blood n custard carriages on a Tornado tour!

The tique coaching stock that were often used on the ecml (with the A4's and A1's in particular) would look quite smart behind Torado? Not sure if anyare up to mainline standard though.

Any old LNER teak stock isn't allowed on the mainline these days - just like the GWR 'Centenary' set which used to run - from what I recall, at privatisation only old stock that was running at the time continued to be allowed to run on the main line - which explains the 1920s VSOE pullmans. Anything else lost the right to run (correct me if I'm completely wrong here :D).

The blood & custard stock behind Tornado is what's known as the Riviera trains Royal Scot set, I think - and is very smart inside!

almark

Hi guys,
Here are some photos of 60163 'Tornado' and 67006 working 'The North Briton' yesterday,Tornado sounds AWESOME the racket it made was truly amazing.

http://mark-walker.fotopic.net/c1664160_1.html

Also phots of the 2 beasts 37676 and 706 at Edinburgh Working 'The Celtic Growler'. As well as a HST,158's,156's and 170's in Princes Street Gardens.......

60163 PHOTOS START HERE:
http://mark-walker.fotopic.net/p56781659.html

37676 + 706 photo:
http://mark-walker.fotopic.net/p56781654.html

Units in the Gardens START HERE:
http://mark-walker.fotopic.net/p56781648.html

DSCF2997.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Established Member
Well, I was there completely by chance (I've been avoiding it as I think it's hugely overrated, but it was there, so I thought I may as well), and got photos from a few places.
I was quite lucky; at 2:00. I found out it was leaving at 2:19, and I'd only paid for the car to be parked until 2:10, so I ran out to the car and got up to the bottom of Calton Hill where I knew parking is free on a saturday, and as I arrived, someone pulled out of a space :D
Anyways, photos from yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19317206@N08/

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Saw it at York yesterday. It was on platform 9, and we pulled in on platform 10 at about 21:10 with the Celtic Growler. The platform was absolutely crammed with photographers, presumably there for the kettle, so the driver of the syphons really opened them up to the max to give them a good show. So a big thanks to the kettle fans for getting us the loudest, awesomest and speediest departure of the day :)

The_Rail_WAy

Any old LNER teak stock isn't allowed on the mainline these days - just like the GWR 'Centenary' set which used to run - from what I recall, at privatisation only old stock that was running at the time continued to be allowed to run on the main line - which explains the 1920s VSOE pullmans. Anything else lost the right to run (correct me if I'm completely wrong here :D).

The blood & custard stock behind Tornado is what's known as the Riviera trains Royal Scot set, I think - and is very smart inside!

Ah right cheers for clearing that one up mate.

Shame the teak stick is'nt allowed to run, as it looks quite smart behind the desired locos.

Moodster020

Saw it at York yesterday. It was on platform 9, and we pulled in on platform 10 at about 21:10 with the Celtic Growler. The platform was absolutely crammed with photographers, presumably there for the kettle, so the driver of the syphons really opened them up to the max to give them a good show. So a big thanks to the kettle fans for getting us the loudest, awesomest and speediest departure of the day :)

I was on the Celtic run as well, driver was a bit shy with the throttle i reckon too.
I remember how the EWS throttle jockey 37 drivers always gave it large!, happy days.

TGVDUDE

nightmare!!!!! i can only imagine what it was like at KX but if memory serves hasn't waverley been extened over a couple of years?

almark

I was on the Celtic run as well, driver was a bit shy with the throttle i reckon too.
I remember how the EWS throttle jockey 37 drivers always gave it large!, happy days.

That's probably because they don't want to knacker them up by thrashing em,although from what i heard of the dep from York he certainly found the throttle handle!!! :D

Nightmare!!!!!...but if memory serves, hasn't Waverley been extended over a couple of years?
Yep, it's extended alright, but that took the form of some through roads now having platforms. They didn't help when I was taking shots of Tornado on Feb 28! There were (from what I've seen) NO platforms extended in length. To confuse matters further, there was a platform renumbering - they continued the idiotic practice of having one platform with two numbers! I'll never understand that.

manhoot

I took the video. couldnt get any closer both platforms packed and at Finsbury park

Established Member
Yep, it's extended alright, but that took the form of some through roads now having platforms. They didn't help when I was taking shots of Tornado on Feb 28! There were (from what I've seen) NO platforms extended in length. To confuse matters further, there was a platform renumbering - they continued the idiotic practice of having one platform with two numbers! I'll never understand that.

If you mean 1 and 20, 2 and 19 and 7 and 11; it's because they are 2 platforms, complete with crossovers in the middle.
If you mean 8e, 8w, 9e and 9w, then I'm not sure, it does seem a little odd.

I took the video. couldnt get any closer both platforms packed and at Finsbury park

What video?

TGVDUDE

they continued the idiotic practice of having one platform with two numbers! I'll never understand that.

well in cardiff, if they platform can hold 1 HST it is split in half an so when a regular non HST service comes in, can fit 2 trains in one platform, i have seen 3 once!

Status
Not open for further replies.