• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

total disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirdouglas

yesterdat i bought MSTS and was disappointed after hearing mostly good things from a lot of websites. but it was rubbish, compared to what i already have (TRS2006)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atomicdanny

I'm assuming that you are comparing the default MSTS (i.e. the six routes that can with the game) that was released in 2001 to something that was released in 2006, no offence that is a bit harsh though (I apologise if I misread that). The default MSTS is well crap that is being polite, although if you compare the newer routes such as Great Eastern / Greater Eastern (the latter improves the first), North Wales Coast, and many more... these are at least fairly good

Have a look at the pictures of the Greater Eastern Route though!

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=239&t=109283

More pictures (althought the closer you go to the last page the better the pictures they are as they are more recent)

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=239&t=97018

sirdouglas

well to be honest i don't know the difference between them all just by the front cover and thats the only MSTS out of many shops that i came across

deltic1989

Established Member
MSTS is nothing really without a few add-on packs these can be purchased from amzon or ebay and with the add-ons you will see the gameplay improve dramatically i do agree that the default routes and activities are pretty poor. Also there are add-on routes, activites and locos available as freeware from www.railserve.com and www.uktrainsim.com the latter is sometimes slow on the downloads so its better to download in the middle of the night. (Like im doing now with a blue pullman)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
You have got to remeber MSTS was one of the first railway simulators. Yes it is bad without add-ons, but for its day it was good.

As mentioned there are some great add-ons for it, Great Eastern/Greater Eastern are very good, the track detail is one of the things that has been completely improved in these add-ons to name one thing. :)

HST Power

Established Member
I agree. There are some excellent add ons. I can drive the route I take to work on MSTS, thanks to the Letchworth to Kings Cross scenario!

Though for the link I posted, unless you have a premium membership, you'll have to wait in a queue of about sixty people to download your files. So it might be worth considering getting up early! ;)

GB

Established Member
MSTS as it was released 10 years ago is dead and has been for a few years.

However there have been many improvements, hacks and tweaks to the original since then and has dramatically improved things and given it numerous life extensions. There are certain draw backs to MSTS but visually speaking it blows Trainz and RS/RW out of the water imo. Trainz looks like a model train set and RS/RW looks like its set in a cartoon world.

If I were you I'd forget the default routes and go and purchase a commercial route from the likes of MakingTracks.

HST Power

Established Member
Railworks 2 is excellent in my opinion. I got my copy two weeks ago. As far as Trainz goes, I've got 2004, and it's pretty basic. The route creating tools are fantastic, but if I'm honest, the pre-built routes are bad. It's mostly transporting freight, which I don't like at all. I'd sooner do passenger routes, and apart from the Banks Heath scenario, there isn't really anything else.
I don't find Trainz realistic. I've struggled to find many good route downloads. MSTS may be old, but there are pages and pages of things you can get for it by just searching the internet.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Railworks 2 is excellent in my opinion. I got my copy two weeks ago. As far as Trainz goes, I've got 2004, and it's pretty basic. The route creating tools are fantastic, but if I'm honest, the pre-built routes are bad. It's mostly transporting freight, which I don't like at all. I'd sooner do passenger routes, and apart from the Banks Heath scenario, there isn't really anything else.
I don't find Trainz realistic. I've struggled to find many good route downloads. MSTS may be old, but there are pages and pages of things you can get for it by just searching the internet.

I would agree there.

Railworks 2 is brilliant. Espicially now as so many add-ons have been released for it lately.

BVE4 is also quite good considering its free.

GB

Established Member
To be fair I haven't actually played RW2, my opinion was pretty much based on RS which didn't stay installed very long. Is there alot of difference both visually and mechanically between RS an RW2?

HST Power

Established Member
I would agree there.

Railworks 2 is brilliant. Espicially now as so many add-ons have been released for it lately.

BVE4 is also quite good considering its free.

I've just bought the Glasgow add on and it's excellent. I'd also like to try out the newly released Portsmouth route. I won't be needing another train sim for many years! :)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
To be fair I haven't actually played RW2, my opinion was pretty much based on RS which didn't stay installed very long. Is there alot of difference both visually and mechanically between RS an RW2?

Quite alot of minor things have changed from what I have noticed, graphics are a bit diffrent, but the acceleration and braking seems to have improved.

I am sure some other members could point out some major diffrences. :)

HST Power

Established Member
I never played the first Railworks, but I've heard many people say there isn't really much difference. If you buy the first Railworks now you'll be automatically upgraded via Steam.

I've been really impressed with the game. It was a bit fiddly installing, but my computer hasn't had any issues running it and the graphics are great.
Best of all, unlike Trainz, the carriages actually have windows! :D

Darandio

Established Member

It's probably worth you taking a look at somewhere like the UKTS screenshots section, plenty there to show you how visually good it can be. It should certainly remove the "cartoony" perspective you have, I was a bit perplexed by that to be honest. :D

I also take the odd screenshot. :D

Click to Enlarge

GB

Established Member
Garish would probably have been a better word to use, and as I say, my view was swayed by the orignal Rail Simulator (below). The screen shots that you have posted though do look pretty good.

PCZ189.revrail.p6--screenshot_large.jpg

HST Power

Established Member
Great shots. I still can't get over how good Railworks looks. Excellent graphics and brilliantly designed trains and scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.