• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Total shutdown at Paddington from 1600 on 6 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Pax all being decanted from trains. Major signalling failure at Hayes.

(My trip aborted.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Third such signalling problem in 24 hours. I was dumped at Reading, now on a SWT to Richmond for the first time since I last worked a train from there 4 years ago.

tomsy47

Just left Reading on the 17:12 to Waterloo. Pretty busy as you can imagine. the guard has said first class is declassified over the PA, which I think is sensible given the situation.

60071Chris

GWR have posted on Twitter that it's a signal failure stopping them running in or out of Paddington. Judging by the complete lack of service, would suggest it's something slightly more than A signal.

At least last night they managed to run things down the slow lines. Can imagine a lot of crew and trains out of place tonight making tomorrow morning challenging as well.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
As ever, the TOC are understating the issue on the front page of their website.

The main page says: 'There are minor disruptions on the GWR Network.'

Given the time of day and the fact that little, if anything is moving, i'd say it's pretty major.

Rich McLean

Established Member
A code black has been declared with nothing moving between Airport Jn and Paddington for at least 2 hours with disruption expected to last until 2200 (end of service almost).

FGW_DID

Established Member
Looks like a complete 'red out' at Hayes. Not looking good at all.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Looks like a complete 'red out' at Hayes. Not looking good at all.

From Open Train Times looks like all reds between approx Southall and West Drayton.

Possibly Temporary Block Working is in place around Southall, a couple of the places what normally show the train head codes show TBW-

route:oxford

Established Member
Just left Reading on the 17:12 to Waterloo. Pretty busy as you can imagine. the guard has said first class is declassified over the PA, which I think is sensible given the situation.

In times of total failure, would it not be quicker to grab an XC to Oxford then a Chiltern to Marylebone?

Darandio

Established Member
GWR Twitter is understandably in total meltdown right now, but this one tickled me.

juliesco‏ @juliesco1 4m
Replying to @GWRHelp

Oh great. You've kidnapped thousands of people who won't be able to go home. Please do a favour to the people and leave the business

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Amazing how we have had privatised system for 20 years, yet the TOCs still get the blame for Network Rail issues...

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've been so lucky today! My train to Cardiff was delayed this morning because of signalling problems at Twyford.
Now my train home was cancelled, so I'm on the later train to Reading, which is now over an hour late!

Andyh82

Established Member
Amazing how we have had privatised system for 20 years, yet the TOCs still get the blame for Network Rail issues...

Lots of people also demanding that GWR are stripped of their franchise, and/or that the franchise was nationalised. :roll:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lots of people also demanding that GWR are stripped of their franchise, and/or that the franchise was nationalised. :roll:

Well, of course, BR never had signal failure nor did it have have massive disruption like this! Saint BR was far above such things!

Silver Cobra

Well, of course, BR never had signal failure nor did it have have massive disruption like this! Saint BR was far above such things!

Maybe these people think that a nationalised railway would have the trains continue running through the affected area? :lol:

tomsy47

In times of total failure, would it not be quicker to grab an XC to Oxford then a Chiltern to Marylebone?

Not sure. At that time at Reading, a number of HSTs were unloading and announcements at Reading were saying tickets would be accepted via SWT. Didn't mention XC/Chiltern, so everyone piled onto the Waterloo service.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Not much better on the GEML this evening, sadly I have had to use both GWML and GEML today and am not getting very far!!!!

Parallel

Established Member

GWR/FGW hasn't ever really been a popular operator in the Thames Valley. The TOC name basically is the front for everything that happens on their network, even when it's down to Network Rail or external reasons.

One thing the TOC does have control over is what happens during/afterwards in dealing with the passengers. This is probably where some passengers are aiming their frustration.

If there are passengers stranded at Reading who were not made aware of ticket acceptance on other alternative routes into London (i.e. Marylebone via Oxford), this is a communication issue very much on the TOC's head.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Looking at open train times a few signals now have "****" at them, does that mean that a train has been detected but the system doesn't know what the headcode is?

Via Bank

Why should the pax care? Pax pay GWR money, GWR fail to deliver advertised service, pax have a right to be cross with GWR.

They should certainly not have to care about the intricate Wallace and Gromit money-go-round that operates our railway behind the scenes.

Marklund

Looking at open train times a few signals now have "****" at them, does that mean that a train has been detected but the system doesn't know what the headcode is?

No. It's an exasperated signaller. Open Train Times censors certain words.

Marklund

They generally got things up and running quicker. There were plenty of staff for handsignaller duties though.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Looks like trains are just starting to move a bit, they seem to be jumping from around about signal 276 to signal 258, would that be consistent with Tempoary Block Working being in place?

neilb62

Exactly, I keep bringing this up on Twitter but normally get the 'I PAY THEM SO ITS THIER FAULT' bollox....

Status
Not open for further replies.