• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tottenham Court Road - Overlook for not included as Cross London Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

Established Member
When trying to do flexible ticket purchase online via NE Journey Planner to refer to TOC sites, from Southeastern North Kent Line stations like Slade Green or Great Eastern destinations like Witham to West Coast Mainline destinations or East Coast Mainline destinations.

The shortest journey would be via Tottenham Court Road or Farringdon according to NR Journey Planner due to lesser interchange time but TOCs like Southeastern couldn’t offer it and result in error if forcibly via Tottenham Court Road or Farringdon.

It there a overlook in the coding in selling search engine?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Isn't it clear by now that stations in the Crossrail core are not regarded as NR stations for interchange purposes?

hkstudent

Established Member
Isn't it clear by now that stations in the Crossrail core are not regarded as NR stations for interchange purposes?
For journey planning purposes, Elizabeth Line core is still treated as a NR service as timetabled service.
There seems to be a mismatch of status on journey planning and fare setting purposes.

island

Veteran Member
What are you trying to achieve? If you want to take the Elizabeth line or some other cross-London transfer route besides the one you get offered, just buy whatever comes up on the site and then travel by your preferred method on the day. TFL don't care.

hkstudent

Established Member
What are you trying to achieve? If you want to take the Elizabeth line or some other cross-London transfer route besides the one you get offered, just buy whatever comes up on the site and then travel by your preferred method on the day. TFL don't care.
It’s often on the issue of Advance ticket where only Tottenham Court Road option would make it the connection to West / East Coast service or vice versa, where taking Liverpool Street which adds 10 minutes would have just missed that hourly connection, and would have need to take a half-hourly earlier SE connecting service.

Same do, for delay repay purposes, which the excessively long interchange time at Liverpool Street / London Bridge often mean you will not be delayed at last.

island

Veteran Member
I'd like to suggest that trying to optimise the very last second out of your cross-London transfer in the hope of collecting DelayRepay might not be the best use of time.

hkstudent

Established Member
I'd like to suggest that trying to optimise the very last second out of your cross-London transfer in the hope of collecting DelayRepay might not be the best use of time.
The excessive long cross London transfer time due to over high transfer time (15 minutes) at London terminals (compare to most European cities being 3-7 minutes), ending up resulting a 45-minute wait at London terminals is also a waste of time.

Better shot for 9 cases of managed the connection (saved 30 minutes) and 1 case failed (additional 1 hour) and then aim for some repay at the end. In overall terms, still a time saving.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The excessive long cross London transfer time due to over high transfer time (15 minutes) at London terminals (compare to most European cities being 3-7 minutes), ending up resulting a 45-minute wait at London terminals is also a waste of time.

Better shot for 9 cases of managed the connection (saved 30 minutes) and 1 case failed (additional 1 hour) and then aim for some repay at the end. In overall terms, still a time saving.
If you ask non-enthusiasts I strongly suspect a majority would say that the cross London connection time is too short. Those of us on here aren't representative when it comes to this sort of thing - we are experts who know where we're going and will almost always cross London faster than the recommended time.

hkstudent

Established Member
If you ask non-enthusiasts I strongly suspect a majority would say that the cross London connection time is too short. Those of us on here aren't representative when it comes to this sort of thing - we are experts who know where we're going and will almost always cross London faster than the recommended time.
I think general public may actually rely on Google Map or CityMapper to do the journey planning and would find the NR planner is mysteriously having a very long time in London.
Often many passengers have “invalid” cross London transfer due to following Google Map or CityMapper advice, and then lost the second leg of advance tickets
If you go to continental Europe, that’s not the case as the transfer time is short enough to match the map search engines.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It’s often on the issue of Advance ticket where only Tottenham Court Road option would make it the connection to West / East Coast service or vice versa, where taking Liverpool Street which adds 10 minutes would have just missed that hourly connection, and would have need to take a half-hourly earlier SE connecting service.
Tottenham Court Road is a half hour walk to Kings Cross and St Pancras, and a 20 minute walk to Euston. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that this makes it a suitable interchange station for a cross-London journey. At best, it's half-way across.

hkstudent

Established Member
Tottenham Court Road is a half hour walk to Kings Cross and St Pancras, and a 20 minute walk to Euston. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that this makes it a suitable interchange station for a cross-London journey. At best, it's half-way across.
There are LU links in BRTIMES for connecting to Waterloo / Charing Cross or Euston, and from Farringdon to most London Terminals.

This also caused those from Elizabeth Line eastern section cannot utilise the shorter interchange time at Tottenham Court road but from Liverpool Street to go to Waterloo for SWR services.

But strangely in sales data, doesn’t allow via Tottenham Court Road or Farringdon for transfer

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
If you've got that time from Google Maps, I'd suggest halving it - that will be more accurate

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you've got that time from Google Maps, I'd suggest halving it - that will be more accurate
Forget anything Google might say, you can't walk from Kings Cross to Tottenham Court Road in 15 minutes, or from Euston to Tottenham Court Road in 10 minutes.

The ideal of Tottenham Court Road being an entry/exit point for cross-London transfers is frankly ridiculous.

Haywain

Veteran Member
And I would suggest that you will be walking a great deal faster than the average person, and may be fortunate enough to know where you're going. I knock a quarter off for myself, and add a third for my wife, to get realistic times.

Status
Not open for further replies.