• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tourism : Hidden Gems within the UK .. where ?

Shimbleshanks

Strictly speaking not the UK, but I would nominate the Isle of Sark - a welcome antidote to the hectic urban rush of Guernsey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Just south of Stroud in Gloucestershire there is Rodborough Common and Minchinhampton Common, not well known, but unspoilt Cotswolds

In 1994 I went through the area (by car), basically heading up from the Bristol area to a little beyond Stroud.

It did have the feel of an area that people didn't visit so much, being southwest of the main Cotswold area.

Mind you at that point, even the central Cotswolds didn't seem too overcrowded; it was before the Clarkson/Cameron set moved in.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Some of the lesser known Warwickshire villages are well worth a visit, especially to the parish church which is usually medieval and pretty lovely. Examples include Ufton, Clifford Chambers, Offchurch and Bearley.

Howardh

Established Member
I find the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire to be rather underrated compared to the more famous areas with some great scenery, excellent walks and lovely villages.
Shhhh.....!!!!

Most drive straight past on the way to the Lakes or Scotland. Chipping has a couple of lovely pubs and splendid walks around, and there's Dunsop Bridge and the ride through the Trough. Second to none!

daveo

Not sure I'd really call it hidden, great place to visit but it was pretty busy the last time we went 2 years ago.

Somewhere which I think does qualify is Caldey Island, reachable by boat from Tenby and relatively quiet in terms of visitor numbers.
Been to Tenby 4 times - twice for a week (camping) and twice on a day trip. I have yet to enjoy a fully dry day :(

McRhu

Not quite sure if they're still plying the briny blue waters of the Clyde, but a day trip cruise on the Sludge Boats are/were? a great attraction. It was possible to have a lovely meal amidst the spectacular scenery of the Firth of Clyde while the sludge was being pumped.

Calthrop

Established Member
@Snow1964 said: "Just south of Stroud in Gloucestershire there is Rodborough Common and Minchinhampton Common, not well known, but unspoilt Cotswolds."

In 1994 I went through the area (by car), basically heading up from the Bristol area to a little beyond Stroud.

It did have the feel of an area that people didn't visit so much, being southwest of the main Cotswold area.

Mind you at that point, even the central Cotswolds didn't seem too overcrowded; it was before the Clarkson/Cameron set moved in.
I'm given to understand that Rodborough Common is a wonderful place for butterflies, much in favour with lovers / students of that type of insect -- a variety of species, including some uncommon and/or otherwise noteworthy.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
I find the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire to be rather underrated compared to the more famous areas with some great scenery, excellent walks and lovely villages.
Indeed, I missed that off my post upthread. The Inn at Whitewell is an old favourite of mine.

Trackman

Established Member
How about Glasson Dock near Lancaster?
Not been there for decades, been a couple of times and I remember it as an excellent day out.
In the early 70's had my first Knickerbocker Glory there!

Howardh

Established Member
Strictly speaking not the UK, but I would nominate the Isle of Sark - a welcome antidote to the hectic urban rush of Guernsey.
I spent a day on Sark, walked across the hill from the ferry, turned left along the coast path and - wow!! just such an amazing sight, Shell Beach, and far enough away from the UK to avoid sea pollution! Such a pity that even in high summer I find the water too cold to swim in!

High Dyke

Established Member
There can usually be solace found amongst the rolling uplands of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Small villages, with some splendid churches, chalk streams and a few decent pubs.

Ediswan

Established Member
I spent a day on Sark, walked across the hill from the ferry, turned left along the coast path and - wow!! just such an amazing sight, Shell Beach, and far enough away from the UK to avoid sea pollution! Such a pity that even in high summer I find the water too cold to swim in!
Are you sure it was Sark ? That description matches Herm, especially Shell Beach.

wilbers

I'm in the wrong area for hidden gems - gems yes, but hidden not so much. I do like the view from the top of the street I'm in (I'm near the bottom so just get the top bit of the view from home), there is a plaque there with names of the mountains on it that most people will miss - even better view going all the way to the top to Penrith beacon but I don't go up there often (literally once or twice a year).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are you sure it was Sark ? That description matches Herm, especially Shell Beach.
Indeed, although you can likely still see Sark from there. But, whether we're talking about Guernsey, Herm or Sark, none of these are places in the U.K.

Calthrop

Established Member
There can usually be solace found amongst the rolling uplands of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Small villages, with some splendid churches, chalk streams and a few decent pubs.
Oh, yes -- for my money, Lincolnshire is one of England's most under-appreciated counties.

Howardh

Established Member
Correction - yes indeed, Herm. I haven't been to Sark, my apologies for mixing the two up - easily done I suppose!!

Howardh

Established Member
I did preface my my original post with: 'Strictly speaking not the UK...'
Correct, you did! Jersey tourism writes that the are Brit-ish! I think they are part of the British Isles but obviously not the UK.

We're such a complicated country!!

If outside the UK counts in the thread, Peel is just lovely on the Isle of Man.

Shimbleshanks

Correct, you did! Jersey tourism writes that the are Brit-ish! I think they are part of the British Isles but obviously not the UK.

We're such a complicated country!!

If outside the UK counts in the thread, Peel is just lovely on the Isle of Man.
Oh yes, Peel is excellent. I'd consider basing myself there for my next holiday on the IoM except that it's not on any of the railways.

I’d like to nominate Culbone Church in north Somerset. Said to be the smallest Parish Church in England, Grade 1 listed, mentioned in the Domesday Book and it’s on the South West Coast Path. A true hidden gem in dense woodland and in the most beautiful, quiet, secluded and peaceful location. Plus it’s inaccessible by road which has to be an added bonus.
IMG_4254.jpeg

D6130

Established Member
Gaddings Dam, above Todmorden in Calderdale, West Yorkshire....a reservoir originally built to supply the Rochdale Canal and one side of it is the UK's highest sandy beach. (Also inaccessible by road, but very popular when the sun occasionally shines....and for it's New Year's Day swim!)

dangie

Established Member
I’d like to nominate Culbone Church in north Somerset.
On the church theme….. Lud’s Church.

For those who aren’t religious, don’t worry it’s not a church. It is a deep well hidden chasm penetrating the Millstone Grit bedrock created by a massive landslip on the hillside above Gradbach, Staffordshire.

At over 100metres long and 18metres deep, it is mossy and overgrown, wet and cool even on the hottest of days. Quite spectacular really.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It’s outside the UK, and I’m biased, but the Isle of Man. Just as beautiful as anything you’ll see in the Lake District, but apart from during TT it’s really quite forgotten by tourists these days.

Peel is beautiful, although the sewage outfall pipe just off the coast would put me off having a swim.

Inside the UK? The Durham Dales, especially the hills around Blanchland- incidentally, one of the prettiest villages you’ve never heard of.

ETA: add the Tamar Valley in Cornwall to the list. Mrs Tyke is from the Tamar Valley and it is absolutely stunning. But the tourists keep going to Looe, much to their loss.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Gaddings Dam, above Todmorden in Calderdale, West Yorkshire....a reservoir originally built to supply the Rochdale Canal and one side of it is the UK's highest sandy beach. (Also inaccessible by road, but very popular when the sun occasionally shines....and for it's New Year's Day swim!)

I wondered when Gaddings would get mentioned! As someone who lives off one of the roads up to it, it’s already far too popular on sunny days, especially amongst the fraternity who can’t park considerately

Agree - to a point - with the earlier post about Hebden and Tod, although (like many other places) Hebden has changed beyond all recognition over the last 30 years and in my view has gone too far towards being a town wholly dependent on tourism. It’s also becoming a slightly unpleasant place to be on summer weekend evenings with a lot of people coming purely to drink. When I moved there in 1991 I don’t think there was a single place you could’ve bought a cappuccino, now I’d estimate there are about 25 or 30

For somewhere beautiful and unspoilt nearby, try the Luddenden valley. Lovely walks and a couple of fine pubs (Lord Nelson in Luddenden and the Cat i’th Well below Wainstalls) and served by bus from Halifax

D6130

Established Member
I wondered when Gaddings would get mentioned! As someone who lives off one of the roads up to it, it’s already far too popular on sunny days, especially amongst the fraternity who can’t park considerately

Agree - to a point - with the earlier post about Hebden and Tod, although (like many other places) Hebden has changed beyond all recognition over the last 30 years and in my view has gone too far towards being a town wholly dependent on tourism. It’s also becoming a slightly unpleasant place to be on summer weekend evenings with a lot of people coming purely to drink. When I moved there in 1991 I don’t think there was a single place you could’ve bought a cappuccino, now I’d estimate there are about 25 or 30

For somewhere beautiful and unspoilt nearby, try the Luddenden valley. Lovely walks and a couple of fine pubs (Lord Nelson in Luddenden and the Cat i’th Well below Wainstalls) and served by bus from Halifax
Fully agree with the Luddenden Valley....and if you happen to be there on the one weekend in the year (August Bank Holiday?) when the Castle Carr fountain is operating, that's an impressive bonus (although the same comment applies regarding the inconsiderate parking brigade as for Gaddings Dam).

Cambus731

Sutton Valence on the Greensand Ridge on the A274 between Maidstone and Headcorn is a lovely peaceful village with a couple of great pubs, especially The Queens Head. And the views of the Weald of Kent are amazing. It also has the remains of a castle.

I'd also like to give a mention to Ramsgate Tunnels. A pretty much unique place to visit.