• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SP Man

If things go anywhere near a plan I'm taking the class 397 from Crewe to Carlisle and back next Thursday and Friday. Booked off Crewe around 0645ish. We should also have the Mk5a Nova 3 set out to Carlisle so depending on whether that's a MID and back or a Blechley we will either pass somewhere on WCML or be at Carlisle together.

Erniescooper

Network Rail have pulled the plug on tomorrow’s run but I’m not sure about Friday as well

59CosG95

Established Member
A post on the Facebook page for Allely's Heavy Haulage shows a low-loader moving more newly arrived Mk5a coaches 397 vehicles (still in shrink wrap). Not sure on origin or destination.

Last edited:

Erniescooper

A post on the Facebook page for Allely's Heavy Haulage shows a low-loader moving more newly arrived Mk5a coaches (still in shrink wrap). Not sure on origin or destination.
I think that is 397001 which is due at MID on Tuesday but I’ve no idea of transport details

SP Man

That's nice to be told via a forum - no one told Freightliner yet. I'd better ring my Driver and the other stuff is arranged and stand them down.

Jozhua

Established Member
That's nice to be told via a forum - no one told Freightliner yet. I'd better ring my Driver and the other stuff is arranged and stand them down.

Now THAT's what you call organisation!

Erniescooper

Did it run?
It didn’t run but I was getting ahead of myself when I posted as Network Rail hadn’t officially pulled the plug.
On a different note 397001 has made its way to Holyhead by lorry from Immingham and will be making its way from Holyhead to Manchester on Tuesday

mikemcniven

It didn’t run but I was getting ahead of myself when I posted as Network Rail hadn’t officially pulled the plug.
On a different note 397001 has made its way to Holyhead by lorry from Immingham and will be making its way from Holyhead to Manchester on Tuesday

is it been moved by road or rail from Holyhead to MID?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Only the railway would organise an Immingham-Manchester transfer via Holyhead (no doubt travelling past Manchester on the way)!
Though you've only to track your parcel deliveries to discover what indirections there are in the road/air logistics system.

AndrewE

Established Member
Only the railway would organise an Immingham-Manchester transfer via Holyhead (no doubt travelling past Manchester on the way)!
Though you've only to track your parcel deliveries to discover what indirections there are in the road/air logistics system.
Correction: Only the fragmented railway we have today would organise an Immingham-Manchester transfer via Holyhead! There must be siding space at Immingham where trains could be marshalled and checked over before setting off by rail.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Correction: Only the fragmented railway we have today would organise an Immingham-Manchester transfer via Holyhead! There must be siding space at Immingham where trains could be marshalled and checked over before setting off by rail.

And new CAF trains have previously been delivered by road to Edge Hill.

AndrewE

Established Member
It was in the last few months (Northern's 195/331s), and there are plenty more to come that way.
Wouldn't you think they could come into Bootle docks? They could almost be trip-worked as loose-coupled freight by a class 08 from there...

Wouldn't you think they could come into Bootle docks? They could almost be trip-worked as loose-coupled freight by a class 08 from there...
Whilst it would make sense in one way, financially it can't be a winner... The cost of sailing the ship right round half of the UK would need to be taken into account. Then the actual time taken might mean that the shipping line might need an additional ship to meet commitments etc. Everything will have been worked out to the nearest pound and it's just the cheapest.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Here is the TPE Class 397 at the closed Alcan Aluminium plant at Holyhead today. Looks like it's been mated up ready for haulage by rail.

20190201_154011.jpg

keith1879

Whilst it would make sense in one way, financially it can't be a winner... The cost of sailing the ship right round half of the UK would need to be taken into account. Then the actual time taken might mean that the shipping line might need an additional ship to meet commitments etc. Everything will have been worked out to the nearest pound and it's just the cheapest.

I would agree that the cost of docking in a particular port presumably means that it has to be Immingham ......but that still leaves the question of why the vehicles are then hauled by road all the way to Holyhead only to be brought back to England by rail. On the face of it this doesn't make any sense .... but perhaps the cost of road haulage over the pennines is massively below the cost of rail haulage over what are congested routes? I really don't know.

397001 is being dragged by rail on Tuesday to MID by Rail Operations Group

Times to be posted when they're received...

The ETA currently for arriving at the MID is 1640

Status
Not open for further replies.