• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMIFlyer

So there not Attaching/detaching a Manchester Airport 397 to a Liverpool 397 at Wigan North Western or Preston in the future then?

No but they might terminate at Manchester Piccadilly in the future and run empty to Longsight Excursion platform to reverse.

No and no.

All WCML trains have separate paths.

WCML services are not planned to run only to Man Picc. Not at the moment anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Do TPE have an option for a follow on order for Class 397s, because i can see passengers liking them and those 5 cars soon running out of available seating?

Or are we just going to go through the same mess again of packed services like the 350s often are.

hibtastic

I am sure I remember a discussion on here about TPE actively looking at adding a 6th car to all of the 397s.

Sleeperwaking

I would have thought that it could be extended on the basis of them not yet being in service and so TPE haven't yet had experience of them - a sort of 'sorry' from CAF.
Among other things, the expiry date for a follow on order will have been set in relation to equipment ordering lead times from sub-suppliers (can be up to 6 months), so that everything would arrive in time to tack vehicles on to the end of the production line once the original order had been completed. It's not as simple as just building more units - any timescales / costs associated with the original offer / expiry date would be invalid.

Chris217

Was at Acton Bridge yesterday.
Saw 397004+397007
Followed closely by 68027 with TP3 set.

Seen in my video here around 05.12 in.

Thanks for watching

Jozhua

Established Member
Due to the 350's leases now running out, new trains seem pretty imperitive to not only improve a very over capacity service, but to actually maintain the current level of service!

Say with the whole Nova fleet, after getting enough drivers trained up for at least a diagram or two, what's to stop em just chucking em into service? They already run under their own power anyway, so there's the same risk of them breaking down and blocking the line and it's not like the wheels are going to fall off!

Probably going to be more reliable than pacers anyway...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Say with the whole Nova fleet, after getting enough drivers trained up for at least a diagram or two, what's to stop em just chucking em into service? They already run under their own power anyway, so there's the same risk of them breaking down and blocking the line and it's not like the wheels are going to fall off

By the time you have enough drivers trained up across the entire link that work a particular diagram over the cycle of that link's work, it is probably coincident with the trains being accepted for service anyway.

hwl

Established Member
Due to the 350's leases now running out, new trains seem pretty imperitive to not only improve a very over capacity service, but to actually maintain the current level of service!

Say with the whole Nova fleet, after getting enough drivers trained up for at least a diagram or two, what's to stop em just chucking em into service? They already run under their own power anyway, so there's the same risk of them breaking down and blocking the line and it's not like the wheels are going to fall off!

Probably going to be more reliable than pacers anyway...
You get second wave of new reliability issues when passengers start using them so the breakdown risk goes up. ( See Northern 195 ASDO issues for a current example)

hwl

Established Member
By the time you have enough drivers trained up across the entire link that work a particular diagram over the cycle of that link's work, it is probably coincident with the trains being accepted for service anyway.
It takes a lot of time to get the initial critical mass of drivers which is always more than people think.
LO with the 710s GOBLIN introduction is good well document example of how long it takes to build up critical mass of drivers and then swap over to new stock while finishing off training. 6 diagrams so not that dissimilar to TPE's 397s.

Jozhua

Established Member
You get second wave of new reliability issues when passengers start using them so the breakdown risk goes up. ( See Northern 195 ASDO issues for a current example)

Exactly, there isn't really a way of discovering all these faults until they've actually carried passengers. Certainly given Northern this information faster than if they didn't put them in service. Despite this, the 195's still seem to be rolling around happily enough! Running them back and forth between different depots seems frankly pointless after a while...

js1000

I am concerned about introducing the 195s/331s/397s all at the same time. One problem / failure through Manchester or on the line to/from the Airport and it screws up much of Northern's/TPE's rolling stock positions and rota schedules. Would be prudent to phase them all in gradually rather than rush them into service but with our heavily fragmented silo-mentality railway system I don't think anyone would have thought of that.

Chris217

At least they have been testing them in pairs as well. So hopefully no coupling issues when they do enter service

driver9000

Established Member
Was at Acton Bridge yesterday.
Saw 397004+397007
Followed closely by 68027 with TP3 set.

Seen in my video here around 05.12 in.

Thanks for watching

397004 has been paired with 397003. I don't think 397007 is even in the UK yet.

SHerr

Does anyone know why so many of the test runs are doubled up - considering no plans to do so? Do you get 2 for 1 on your fault free running?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why so many of the test runs are doubled up - considering no plans to do so? Do you get 2 for 1 on your fault free running?
Well assuming they are properly multi-ed they will both get fault free miles.

Erniescooper

I don’t know how it works but there is an extra 397 available Fri-Sun so it either doubles up or there are extra paths

Erniescooper

It’s double Fault Free running and Pantograph testing all at the same time and I think there may be a visit to Glasgow on Tuesday

BMIFlyer

No there won’t be any 10 car trains.

The double 350’s no longer exist and they were full because of the amount of advance tickets sold on them.

The new Liverpool to Edinburgh via York service will relieve some of the Manchester to Edinburgh traffic. Those going to Edinburgh might enjoy going there one way and coming back via the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.