• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I had a look through the windows of a 397 unit which stopped briefly at Wilmslow today.
The seats in the two-thirds of each standard coach with tables seem to be perfectly aligned to the windows.
The other third has airline seats, and alternate rows seem to be in mid-window which is not ideal.
Might be different in the driving trailer.
The seats in the first class (driving) coach seem to have wider spacing, so have variable window views and not necessarily better than in standard.
It will be interesting to see how these EMUs compare with the 331s from the same builder, considering for a lot of the time they will be doing much the same job over the same lines in the north-west.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I had a look through the windows of a 397 unit which stopped briefly at Wilmslow today.
The seats in the two-thirds of each standard coach with tables seem to be perfectly aligned to the windows.
The other third has airline seats, and alternate rows seem to be in mid-window which is not ideal.
Might be different in the driving trailer.
The seats in the first class (driving) coach seem to have wider spacing, so have variable window views and not necessarily better than in standard.
It will be interesting to see how these EMUs compare with the 331s from the same builder, considering for a lot of the time they will be doing much the same job over the same lines in the north-west.

Least theres airline seats , i thought it was all table

sjpowermac

Established Member
Should be a seating plan up thread to check, but I'm sure there's a good few airline rows in each coach.

Very nice, looking good there.

I'm strangely fond of that carpet!
Haha:)
They’ve thought of everything. Not only are they great looking trains, there’s a geometry lesson worked into the carpet;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Haha:)
They’ve thought of everything. Not only are they great looking trains, there’s a geometry lesson worked into the carpet;)

Educational as well as aesthetically pleasing! That must be a first?

Roll-on the introduction as soon as possible I say, I'm really looking forward to these.

JLUK144

Educational as well as aesthetically pleasing! That must be a first?

Roll-on the introduction as soon as possible I say, I'm really looking forward to these.
So am I! Hopefully ‘they who shall not be named’ will look at the 397s and improve on the issues their stock has.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So am I! Hopefully ‘they who shall not be named’ will look at the 397s and improve on the issues their stock has.

I think they demonstrate what can be done with effectively what will be a more regional InterCity train. The base design would be ideal for a number of electrified routes though.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Seats look great. Comfy too. These were showcased to staff in Huddersfield. Quite why they aren't being fitted to 802s is beyond me but we were told at the time they were.

modernrail

Are they not the same seats at the Azumas/802 etc? They look it but I might be wrong. Just a different cover?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Are they not the same seats at the Azumas/802 etc? They look it but I might be wrong. Just a different cover?
That was my thought as well: They look to be identical in every detail to the seats fitted to all the class 80x units, including the TPE sets.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
They may well be, the seat moquette is certainly different to that fitted to the 802 and does at least match that showcased at Huddersfield.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
There was a Class 397 in plastic wrapping being shunted at MID Longsight at about 1425, Class 47 and barriers at one end, 57 at the other end i think.
Is this a fresh delivery or one from the other week being moved?
Also 2 Mk5a sets out, one with a Class 68 at each end.

fgwrich

Established Member
They may well be, the seat moquette is certainly different to that fitted to the 802 and does at least match that showcased at Huddersfield.

Is it not the same seat / moquette except for the leather head rests? The CAF stock and 185s all seem to feature this, while the 802 doesn't.

Good to see that the ORR have authorised all 12 397s have been Authorised for use by TPE today.

https://twitter.com/railandroad/status/1157232556900847616

tpjm

Seats are identical on all three fleets, excluding the covers on the Class 802. The CAF fleets feature leather whereas the Hitachi fleet does not.

Erniescooper

There was a Class 397 in plastic wrapping being shunted at MID Longsight at about 1425, Class 47 and barriers at one end, 57 at the other end i think.
Is this a fresh delivery or one from the other week being moved?
Also 2 Mk5a sets out, one with a Class 68 at each end.
It was 397006 that only made it as far as Crewe South Yard last week due to issues at MID and I think Mk5a Set 7 arrived at MID today from South Yard as well

EE Andy b1

Established Member
It was 397006 that only made it as far as Crewe South Yard last week due to issues at MID and I think Mk5a Set 7 arrived at MID today from South Yard as well

Ah, thanks for that.

I was down at the South yard at Crewe today, 1 Mk5a set still in there and a Class 397 and the 2 Mk5a sets still in Basford Hall.

Erniescooper

Ah, thanks for that.

I was down at the South yard at Crewe today, 1 Mk5a set still in there and a Class 397 and the 2 Mk5a sets still in Basford Hall.
Apologies I was wrong the flooding has delayed things and TP07 is still at Crewe SY and it was 397006 moving yesterday

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Apologies I was wrong the flooding has delayed things and TP07 is still at Crewe SY and it was 397006 moving yesterday
No apology required! There's a lot going on.

Seen the 2 ROG Class 47s and translator vehicles at MID Longsight today (Sat 03/08) about 1210ish so i presume a 397 on the move.

tpjm

Seems like a strange decision, why is that?

TPE wanted a luxurious first class interior that was similar to the Cl185 refresh. Unfortunately, to comply with fire regs you can’t have a fully leather seat, hence the fabric/leather hybrid on the CAF fleets.

Hitachi allow you to specify a fabric cover for the seat/headrest, but see the two types of material on one seat as a completely different design. The price tag attached to having leather on the 802s was excessive, hence a single type of fabric.

The first class seats on all the fleets are really comfy and I’m sure people will really enjoy Nova 2 first class! (A massive step up from a Cl 350)

Status
Not open for further replies.