• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE franchise to move to OLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
There are several narratives of the situation, however the buck stops with the executive team. Regardless of any external interference, if a TOCs managing director fails to strike a balance between meeting the demands of their profit hungry finance director and meeting the basics of contractual compliance, he/she is just as complicit as the finance director.

£15M in shareholder dividends from TPE paid within 6 months last year despite the disastrous carry on. Quite why the previous finance director was allowed leave in 2021 and obtain a new Titanic to sink (Avanti) is beyond me, but that is FirstGroup's decision to appoint her.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are several narratives of the situation, however the buck stops with the executive team. Regardless of any external interference
In this case the external interference was so significant that I don't think the executive team could really be said to be in charge of the company - the DfT is. This isn't about narratives; those are the simple facts of the matter.

if a TOCs managing director fails to strike a balance between the meeting demands of their profit hungry finance director and meeting the basics of contractual compliance, he/she is just as complicit as the finance director.
You have quite the imagination... Profit hungry, compliance, complicit - I've no idea where you get some of this stuff from!

FG were doing exactly what their customer (the DfT) told them to. Their profit could only be increased by meeting targets that the DfT had set out in the contract, not through some suggestion of nefarious cost-cutting. They're nothing more than a scapegoat here - they couldn't lift a finger without DfT authorisation.

The service may have been terrible, but that doesn't mean they were in breach of contract with the DfT.

Established Member
In this case the external interference was so significant that I don't think the executive team could really be said to be in charge of the company - the DfT is. This isn't about narratives; those are the simple facts of the matter.

You have quite the imagination... Profit hungry, compliance, complicit - I've no idea where you get some of this stuff from!

FG were doing exactly what their customer (the DfT) told them to. Their profit could only be increased by meeting targets that the DfT had set out in the contract, not through some suggestion of nefarious cost-cutting. They're nothing more than a scapegoat here - they couldn't lift a finger without DfT authorisation.

The service may have been terrible, but that doesn't mean they were in breach of contract with the DfT.

The local newspaper must have quite the imagination.

Of course it was total coincidence that same finance director insisted on a reduction in station grades, removing many GPR roles when this happened:

Manchester Evening News:

Passengers take lives in their hands after Stalybridge station fails to open on time​

People waiting for the first train from the Tameside station jumped down onto the railway and ran across tracks just minutes before the service arrived.
  • BY AMY GLENDINNING
  • 06:00, 26 JAN 2013 UPDATED10:38, 26 JAN 2013

- TPE initially had denied a previous incident identical to this one witnessed by a local councillor.

They've got form, mostly the same senior people arrived from First North Western in 2004.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
That is ancient history.

The key thing here is that the directors at TPE haven’t really been making any serious decisions since 2020 - that power transferred to the DfT. The TPE directors are just a team of management contractors, another (but more expensive) form of OLR.

Contractual compliance isn’t just about running trains. Indeed you get more fees for doing things other than running trains, such is the way the idiotic DfT set up the contracts.

As any cost saving or rise on revenue doesn’t go to the shareholders, it’s all about maximising your management fees and that means doing exactly what the DfT tells you to do, even if you think it’s mad.

Class15

On Moderation
I remember TPE saving me at Preston when Avanti cancelled me there on a London - Glasgow train, feels like the wrong operator is being nationalised…

SuperNova

The local newspaper must have quite the imagination.

Of course it was total coincidence that same finance director insisted on a reduction in station grades, removing many GPR roles when this happened:

- TPE initially had denied a previous incident identical to this one witnessed by a local councillor.

They've got form, mostly the same senior people arrived from First North Western in 2004.
Eh? Not sure how staff not showing up is all down to one finance director, who was pretty well regarded as interim MD. Just utter hog wash.

Krokodil

Established Member
There are several narratives of the situation, however the buck stops with the executive team. Regardless of any external interference, if a TOCs managing director fails to strike a balance between meeting the demands of their profit hungry finance director and meeting the basics of contractual compliance, he/she is just as complicit as the finance director.
When the executives aren't even allowed to fart without written permission in triplicate from the DfT, how do you expect them to change anything? The buck stops with the minister.

Some guy

I remember TPE saving me at Preston when Avanti cancelled me there on a London - Glasgow train, feels like the wrong operator is being nationalised…
Avanti have been miles better on the west coast at least you can expect your train to run TPE on the west coast it’s a flip of a coin

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Everyone who has an account with TPE will (probably) get an email because data is being transferred from the First owned TPE to the OLR TPE (I've already received one)
Despite what it says calling itself an "Important notice", it's basically just spam.
Although it might be useful in telling the 3 people that somehow don't know that there's a change they won't notice.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Everyone who has an account with TPE will (probably) get an email because data is being transferred from the First owned TPE to the OLR TPE (I've already received one)
Despite what it says calling itself an "Important notice", it's basically just spam.
Although it might be useful in telling the 3 people that somehow don't know that there's a change they won't notice.
They're legally obliged to send that notice under the GDPR, because your data is being transferred to another entity.

Most people don't keep up to date with these kinds of things, so it will probably come as news to a lot of people.

D6130

Established Member
They're legally obliged to send that notice under the GDPR, because your data is being transferred to another entity.

Most people don't keep up to date with these kinds of things, so it will probably come as news to a lot of people.
Funnily enough, I received this email this morning....but I don't recall ever having had an account with TPE!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
yes, I know, doesn't make it not annoying. (GDPR shows up so much on computer-related exam questions, who would've thought)
yes I'm probably slightly overstating.

Alan2603

I received an e-mail yesterday about my data being transferred from TPE to 'Transpennine Trains Ltd':

Important notice: your data is due to be transferred

As you may be aware, TransPennine Express operated by First TransPennine Express Ltd is transitioning to become TransPennine Trains Ltd, a subsidiary of DfT OLR Holdings (DOHL) on 28th May 2023.

Until the transfer to TransPennine Trains Ltd on 28th May 2023 First TransPennine Express Limited will continue to operate the TPE rail franchise as normal. All tickets will remain valid and passengers should continue to use and purchase tickets in the normal way.

In preparation for this transition, we will be transferring your personal data and account information, in respect of any purchased tickets for journeys due to take place on or after 28th May 2023 to TransPennine Trains Ltd prior to the handover. This is to allow TransPennine Trains Ltd to prepare for the handover, ensure that your tickets will be honoured and continue to provide you with important updates about your bookings and TransPennine Express.

Does this mean they are dropping the 'Express' out of 'TransPennine'?

Neptune

Established Member
I received an e-mail yesterday about my data being transferred from TPE to 'Transpennine Trains Ltd':

Does this mean they are dropping the 'Express' out of 'TransPennine'?
No the external branding will not change.

Krokodil

Established Member
It's been policy for a few years now that brands should be transferable. That way you only have to remove the "operated by First" stickers when franchises (as they were at the time) changed hands, rather than reliverying entire fleets.

Benjwri

Established Member
It's been policy for a few years now that brands should be transferable. That way you only have to remove the "operated by First" stickers when franchises (as they were at the time) changed hands, rather than reliverying entire fleets.
Not an issue for TPE I don't think, but in the GWR management contract First are also liable for the cost of removing the branding they leave over, which for GWR would be quite a lot.

Krokodil

Established Member
The DfT originally wanted to go for plain grey on everything, with little regional identity.

FGW did the rebrand to GWR off its own bat, but I imagine that First won't block the retention of the green GWR brand by a new concession if/when contracts change.

Benjwri

Established Member
FGW did the rebrand to GWR off its own bat, but I imagine that First won't block the retention of the green GWR brand by a new concession if/when contracts change.
The GWR brand is a part of the franchise now I believe. They did it off their own bat but I believe there was significant pressure from the DFT because the entire FGW brand was their trademark. It's certainly enforced on them now as removal of First branding is in the management contract.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm surprised the TransPennine Express livery passes for a brand-neutral livery. It's very corporate and in-your-face. Certainly doesn't give off publicly-owned vibes :lol:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm surprised the TransPennine Express livery passes for a brand-neutral livery. It's very corporate and in-your-face. Certainly doesn't give off publicly-owned vibes :lol:
I don't see the DfT paying for a redesign because it looks too corporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.