• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE new CIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich r

They're actually not bad to read from a distance - certainly I can read the Platform 3 one at Selby from Platform 1 (so determine whether I need to go over the bridge or not). I couldn't read the old orange one from the same position as the angle was too great for the display.
Also the white ones appear to dim at night so they're not illuminating the platform so much.

I like them - and particularly the new vertical departures ones, as they show more services. The old ones always seemed to be on page 2/3 when what you wanted to know was on page 1/3 so you'd have to wait a minute or so for it to swap to that page.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
Does anyone know the reason for moving away from the orange dot screens?

Will this system be rolled out nationwide?

_toommm_

Established Member
I can imagine the New screens can display a whole new array of info, pictures etc.

As for the white dot displays, they'll be easier for partially sighted folk to see as it's a direct contrast of black on white.

pdq

I can imagine the New screens can display a whole new array of info, pictures etc.
I may be wrong, but they don't appear to be that high resolution: the individual white LEDs are clearly distinguishable (albeit not on the blurred photo I posted up-thread). The problem for me is simply the size of the text - I simply cannot read a new display from the same distance as I could read the orange-LED displays from.

EDIT: found this page which appears to be the kit they've installed: http://www.infotec.co.uk/index.php?page=f-series. The TPE screens look like this one, albeit with 3 lines instead of 4, so they can display 'icons' but not pictures as such.
img-c16a6e5ea4ea253be205cd056d99a46d

Last edited:

wellhouse

Huddersfield has both old and new screens on Platform 8, which seem to get different data feeds.

On Wednesday morning, while the old screen showed accurate stopping information, the new display erroneously indicated 'Newcastle Only' and 'Middlesbrough Only' for consecutive departures.

Particularly confusing while passengers have to adjust to both a new skip-stopping timetable and short-notice changes to cope with delayed services

bearhugger

Huddersfield has both old and new screens on Platform 8, which seem to get different data feeds.
Maybe (I don't know for sure & am hazzarding a guess) the screens get the same data feed but the newer screens might be configured differently to interpret the information from the feed?

Crossover

Established Member
^ Related to that photo. What's the point of ticket barriers being installed if they are left open in the evening peak?

Also the waiting room on the Leeds platform is outside the barrier line. I was at the station in the Friday evening peak two weeks ago tomorrow and they were unmanned. I had heard that there was a problem with the Leeds bound platform ones, but may have been sorted now. The shop is also reportedly suffering

As for the screens, last time I was there, the summary departure screen had gone from the Leeds platform - I hope it returns, if it hasn't already, though I don't recall the cables having been left

Formation diagram a very good thing - we're catching up Germany...only about 20 years later. Shame it isn't a nice little picture of a train, though, and it doesn't seem to clearly indicate the front with an arrow, picture of a cab or something. Would also be nice to have platform zones marked along it.

Small wins though :)

It's nonsense most of the time, apart from showing the number of carriages as it doesn't actually know the formations (I'm unconvinced it ever will - they change around so much) - a double set a couple of weeks ago was advertised, I believe as G, F, E, C, B, A, but the actual formation was actually either G, F, E, A, B, C or E, F, G, A, B, C (I know Coach C was at the very back)

Platform 1 still has an old screen.

The new screens on the concourse are positioned in an odd place, you now arrive in the station and have to go out of your way to see the departure boards.

Yes, I thought the positioning of the new screens at Huddersfield was odd as well - they're not in a natural position

Crossover

Established Member
I was at Manchester Airport on Sunday and it was, quite frankly, a complete joke. All the old system has gone with the new boards mid-commissioning showing only a handful of departures (and wrong ones at that, I recall). There were no announcements either.

If there is one place you need a good information system, it is at one of the airport stations! Chaos was reigning, it wasn't clear what train was what (me and my friend nearly boarded a 319 to Piccadilly instead of Wilmslow, as it had arrived at around the time and with traction as expected, and ended up using RTT to confirm what train was what

Crossover

Established Member
I was contemplating the clarity of the new boards the other day and I think the text may be clearer, though they are maybe a little small. They can definitely display more than the old screens as, when you get a passing train and other informational announcement, there is a big "i" displayed across most of the height of the screen.

Crossover

Established Member
The remaining boards at Huddersfield have been done now and the broken overall departures board on p8 had gone completely (as of Saturday)

p1 has a new white LED CIS screen at one end of the platform and a Thameslink style full colour screen at the other (nearest the ticket office). p8 has a full colour set of screens nearest the steps and a white LED screen at the west end of the platform, near the bay. Off hand I don't recall there being a screen here before, but recall it advertising a 23:00 to York on Saturday when a railtour was in the platform

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's nonsense most of the time, apart from showing the number of carriages as it doesn't actually know the formations (I'm unconvinced it ever will - they change around so much) - a double set a couple of weeks ago was advertised, I believe as G, F, E, C, B, A, but the actual formation was actually either G, F, E, A, B, C or E, F, G, A, B, C (I know Coach C was at the very back)

This is really not a difficult problem to solve by way of the guard's mobile phone - when he takes over the train, he enters the formation via a mobile app/website. It could be as simple as a text message - something like text A2B2C1D2 and that would mean coach A leading, then B, C and D, with C containing 1st. You could have symbols for other stuff, e.g. A2B2*C1D2# meaning the same formation but with a buffet in coach B and cycle space in coach D. So dead quick to enter and no need to be tabbing through pages and pages.

SBB have been doing this for years via their ticket machines, I believe. There really is no excuse for not getting it right.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The remaining boards at Huddersfield have been done now and the broken overall departures board on p8 had gone completely (as of Saturday).

I wonder if it'll be replaced? Speaking of which, has the screen in the original waiting room near the buffet still in use or has that been torn out?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wonder if it'll be replaced? Speaking of which, has the screen in the original waiting room near the buffet still in use or has that been torn out?
Still in use, I wasn't aware of any plans to use that space for something else (though I imagine the original plans from the 2000s might've made use of the connecting door to the buffet, which they planned to turn into a Pumpkin). The new(ish) waiting room above/behind the subway steps is an addition rather than a replacement.

Apologies, only skimmed your post and missed the word "screen"! :oops:

AFAIK that screen is still there.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As an update to my original post (#1 in this thread) the display on 4a at Huddersfield has been updated to show the 2nd and 3rd trains rather than just the 2nd. Also no longer has the redundant box on the left saying "Platform 4a": as the attached image shows, this was unnecessary.
20180604_140935.jpg

Additionally, when my train arrived (1422 to Hull) the composite/accessible coach was at the opposite end of the train than where the PIS indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.