• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrreb

Sorry if this is covered earlier up the thread but what is the plan during November for introduction? I assume they will need to ramp up quickly with the December timetable change needing them. Will they concentrate on Liverpool- Newcastle or could they appear on Manchester Airport- Newcastle as well?
I've read somewhere that it's quite unrealistic to run any of the new ones to Manchester Airport until the December change as the current timetable is built around platform sharing at MIA, something the station doesn't have enough space for when every train is 5 or 4 coaches

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

433N

Seen 211 in York yesterday afternoon heading North with Aberdeen via Edinburgh on the display

I wouldn't set too much store by that. The one I saw in Edinburgh had places like Esher - Hersham - Walton-on-Thames listed as destinations !

tpjm

Seeing 18 did suggest that they must be fairly far along but I wasn't sure if they are/were being delivered in order.

They aren't. For example, next week we're looking at pre-provisional acceptance of two sets in the early teens.

mikemcniven

I was onboard 802207 last night on the 1925 Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle service last night (travelled to Newton-le-Willows) and the experience was amazing! Very speedy acceleration and fairly comfortable seating. Here is some video and photos from yesterday.

TransPennine Express 802207
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

802207 inside

802207 inside

802207 inside

802207 inside

802207 inside

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nobody has mentioned the switch between electric and diesel at Manchester Victoria.
Is it just "seamless" as one would hope?
Any sign of extended dwell because of it?
A very good sign if not.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Pretty much, takes advantage of the station stop anyway and is a pretty rapid process switching over with no interruption to on board power. Quite unlike a 319 or 377 that requires a virtual shutdown and restart

Phlip

Nobody has mentioned the switch between electric and diesel at Manchester Victoria.
A very good sign if not.

Why would it be? IEPs can switch over on the move.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I know NR are a bit nervous about changing over on the move on the ropey at best ECML overheads but the north West and new great Western OHLE is far more solidly built and can handle the shock from the pan. There is however no actual need to do it on the move as the train stops at Man Vicc anyway. Changing over on the climb up miles platting would be futile as traction power is lost during the changeover. Colton Junction is realistically the only on the move changeover point but again pointless as the York stop is nearby anyway

D6700

A very good sign if not.
Last night, at Manchester Victoria, the pan dropped right in front of where I was waiting to board. A dispatcher almost left a deposit in his pants, so I explained to him what it was - much to his relief!

Earlier this year, I purposely observed Class 700 power transitions on Thameslink and was mightily impressed by their speed. By comparison, the Class 313 transitions on the Moorgate branch appeared very laboured.

hstmatt

802207 Was swapped onto 9M18 at York, with 185151 replacing it on 9E19, however it was then cancelled and ran empty to Lime St due to the Conductor not signing 802s....

Chris217

I saw it last night passing
Huyton bus station whilst I was driving my bus.
Very nice photos and video.

Jozhua

Established Member
Travelling up to Newcastle in a couple of weeks!

Got a 185 booked for both trips, as TPE had them on the seat reservations, however my contingency is a leg on LNER on one of the advance singles. Never been on the 91+Mk4 or 80X's so should be good either way!

Knowing my luck I'll probably get a HST, great trains, just been on about a billion of them :oops:

E100

I'm a bit surprised they are using grey un-livered ones in service. Obviously, no functional reason beyond possible passenger confusion by lack of branding until they step onboard.

Jay S

I got a grey one this morning from Darlington at 6:37. I was quite surprised to see it turn up naked!

Jozhua

Established Member
Saw a grey one depart from Manchester Victoria at about half 1 towards Liverpool Lime St under electric power. Looks kind of stealthy!

Got to say, the blue TPE livery for the new fleets looks fantastic though, looking forward to seeing it on the 802's and especially the Civcity 397's.

palmersears

Established Member
Sat on 802218 as I type, awaiting the off on the 1625 Lime Street to Newcastle. Looking forward to seeing how we get on!

ajdunlop

Now this is a proper train, transpennine is an intercity operator at last!

I can’t believe how hard it is to tell that there has been a switch between electric and diesel on board.

Not sure who decided that tip down luggage racks in the bike storage was a good idea, I hope the conductors police it well if someone has a bike booked.

I also note that there are no tv type passenger information displays. All other displays (coach-end LED, outer LED and reservations) are not turned on yet.

palmersears

Established Member
Sat on 802218 as I type, awaiting the off on the 1625 Lime Street to Newcastle. Looking forward to seeing how we get on!
Initial thoughts, having got off at Victoria, are positive.

Ride is much smoother than the 185s, particularly over the top of the Chat Moss, and there's far less lateral movement. Went like absolute stink once out of Lime Street throat and also when departing Newtown Le Willows. Overall interior is light, if perhaps a little to sterile and clinical (not sure if this is the finished interior on this one?). The seats are ok, nothing more. A few minor delays in the doors opening at both NLW and MCV, but I'm sure that'll disappear with staff familiarisation. A good start, fingers crossed for more of the same over the coming weeks.

I've just had my first journey on a Nova 1 on the 17:02 Newcastle to Darlington. I was there early so I saw the train arrive in to Newcastle at 16:23 from Liverpool. The arrival was only delayed by a couple of minutes due to the late running Northern service to Morpeth being on that platform.

Arrival into Newcastle was unusually on diesel power but this quickly switched to electric whilst on the platform and remained in electric for the 17:02 departure. None of the internal or external PIS displays were working yet and neither was the electronic reservations. Paper labels had been used instead for coaches A, B and C. Coach D had no reservations as I assume the reservations were only for a 3 carriage 185 so I sat there.

Interior was like any other Hitachi Class 80X, the colour scheme of blue was quite nice, particularly the carpet. The wood effect walls were a nice touch. I do slightly prefer the LNER colour scheme though. Seats were as you expect from an 80X, the only other issue is that in my opinion the trains are too bright.

Much better than a 185 though!, particularly the smooth ride and reduced noise levels. The 185's can be noisy sometimes! I can see myself taking longer journies with TPE in future due to the larger and more suited intercity trains. I have only travelled with TPE to Manchester twice and each time has been extremely overcrowded so I hope these trains will help. I do travel with them to York as the advance single prices are much cheaper than LNER, I'm sure I will enjoy these journeys more in future.

fowler9

Established Member
Just caught the 20:25 to Newton-Le-Willows. Really impressed. The seats are a bit meh if you don't like them too firm but everything else was spot on. Impressive acceleration.

BillBlue80

I got the chance to take a ride on a TPE Hitachi Class 802 (802218) followed by a return trip on CAF Mk5 stock hailed by Class 68 68027 (Lord President).

216CBAE3-5B86-41A7-BAEE-F6A16C110EAF.jpeg

Here are my thoughts on how the two compare. I have posted images/video of the 802 in this post and I will make a separate post on the Mk5 carriages.

What the Class 802 does better?

- Far superior ride over the same section of track. Smooth with very little carriage roll. The CAF Mk5 really disappointed and felt as rough as the CAF 331 on this section of line. Lots of body roll and it was really hard to stand in the vestibule as we approached the station without holding on. Let’s hope they bed in but judging by reviews I’ve read about the Mk5 Caledonian sleeper coaches this may not improve significantly.

- Better alignment of table seats with windows, the CAF Mk5 may have more table seats but far more of these seats are poorly aligned.

- Leg room, even in first class I struggled to reach the window seat on the CAF Mk5 stock and had to lift the arm rests, no such problem on the Class 802. Very generous leg room in both Standard and First Class.

- Quiet and rapid acceleration (I only experienced the trains under electric power). The air conditioning system wasn’t as loud as that on the Mk5 stock or on the Pendolino’s. It was so quiet in fact I could easily overhear conversations at the opposite end of the carriage.

- I could rest my arm on the window sill (although it is narrower than a Pendolino). The annoying location of the air vent in the window sill of the Mk 5 carriages bothered me more than I expected. I instinctively kept trying to place my elbow onto the vents grill.

What does the Class 68 hauled CAF Mk5 do better?

- The First Class on the Class 802, is basically standard class, with slightly wider seats in a 2+1, rather than 2+2 arrangement. On the Mk 5 stock the First Class felt Super Premium, at least as good as a Pendolino and not far behind that of the final GWR HST interior. The materials were really good, seats super comfy and I really liked little details like the lights blended into the table.

First Class - Class 802

80DA0805-978C-40FA-BF52-1B8DC9325CCD.jpeg

9260753D-7D43-4E23-B66F-E9B876A8EE99.jpeg

- The Passenger Information system on the Class 802 was surprisingly basic (No better than a Pendolino or Voyager). The CAF products have set a new standard in the UK. Bright coloured LCD panels, displaying the time, outside temperature, Real time information for both the service you are on and for trains at the destination station.

- Lighting is less harsh and less “white” than on the Class 802 and creates a more relaxing ambience. These differences are less significant in Standard Class than they are in first.

Where the trains are equal?

- Standard Class interior - the comfort of the standard class seats and standard of materials/finish in were very much par on both trains.

Standard Class - Class 802

4C0960EC-6E10-4881-AD38-E74CC29CDFEB.jpeg

9B1DAB92-6DAC-4822-A204-C5B795B13925.jpeg

- Both have access to “at seat” Plugs/USB sockets.

- Carriage noise (based on Class 802 under electric power and DVT coach of Mk5 stock) was very much on par.

Conclusion

If I was travelling to York from Merseyside, I would definitely favour the Class 802 if I was in Standard class, as the ride is vastly superior and I found the ride on the Mk5 (all be it not on the best section of track) to be distracting and an annoyance.

I loved the ambience of First Class on the Mk5, so if I was fortunate enough to travel First Class I would favour the Mk5 as it feels special.

I have yet to experience the Class 802 on diesel power, so the Mk5’s may well have a distinct advantage when it comes to noise levels, when crossing the Pennines. I found the DVT coach of the Mk5 stock (obviously the furthest coach from the Class 68) to be almost as quiet as the Class 802 (the difference being due to a fairly loud air conditioning system).

All in all however both trains offer a great improvement over the Class 185 Pennine Class and are true Intercity class trains.

Class 802 departing Liverpool for Newcastle

Last edited:

mikemcniven

The 80X fleet are configured so that the leading Pantograph will be automatically selected when a master key is inserted and the direction selector switch is away from neutral.
I presume this is 802207 in which case the pantograph on the 835207 car is goosed so that's why the rear pan is up!

The video was indeed of 802207, 1st Class was leading out of the station

fowler9

Established Member
Just getting a Trans Pennine 185 back to Lime Street from Newton-Le-Willows after getting an 802 out. The 802 had a much better ride than the 185 or the many 68 hauled sets I've had on the route. I like the 185's for being less brightly lit. For me having the engine under your bum on the 185 does make a big difference though. Perhaps some younger posters are just used to it. I just find it a constant annoyance. They also rock and roll all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.