• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 3 (Class 68 + Mk5s) updates and withdrawal from service

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The fact that they are slashing their North Route timetable in December 2023 seems lost on the cheerleaders.
It’s now there for all to marvel at on Realtime Trains…
I see we are back to 15-minute stops at Manchester Victoria now that the Liverpool-Newcastles make two stops via Chat Moss.
The Liverpool-Cleethorpes also make multiple stops on the CLC, so we have the slowest Liverpool-Manchester "express" times I can remember.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjpowermac

Established Member
I see we are back to 15-minute stops at Manchester Victoria now that the Liverpool-Newcastles make two stops via Chat Moss.
The Liverpool-Cleethorpes also make multiple stops on the CLC, so we have the slowest Liverpool-Manchester "express" times I can remember.
Yes indeed. I think the timetable is consistently dreadful across all regions.

I wonder what the reaction will be of the northern mayors who sit on the board of Transport for the North?

In relation to the Class 68/Mk5A sets and those applauding the decision to stop using them, it’s extremely worrying that TPE are not envisioning growth on the route.

Their December 2023 timetable has the appearance of coming back to have another go at killing as much demand as they can on the route.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Your spreadsheet is completely accurate as regards the planned locomotive diagrams, but swops between diagrams do occur on a regular basis.

The following worked over the Pennines on Friday.

68022/TP08
1U23 0535 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough
1U36 0845 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough
1U47 1135 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough
1U60 1448 Scarborough-Manchester Piccadilly
1U71 1730 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough

68020/TP02
1U28 0648 Scarborough-Manchester Piccadilly
1U39 0935 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough
1U52 1248 Scarborough-Manchester Piccadilly
1U63 1535 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough
1U80 1948 Scarborough-Manchester Piccadilly

In addition the following sets were working between Scarborough and York/Leeds:
68028/TP12
68025/TP07

Even with these sets running there were still a number of workings across the TPE network that were 3-car Class 185s rather than the booked 6-car.

Those who are pleased that the Class 68/Mk5A sets are going should be cautious of the TPE claims ‘we have enough rolling stock to meet demand until 2027’.

The fact that they are slashing their North Route timetable in December 2023 seems lost on the cheerleaders.

It’s now there for all to marvel at on Realtime Trains…
Thanks for the reality check. I had not realised any were out on Friday !. I did not se any I looked for in RTT and assumed the strike was probably comprehensive enough.
Actually. This over the top cut back in stock might work in the favour of the Mk5s. The sooner TPE is seen to be very short of stock then the sooner TPE (DfT) might be persuaded to sign a new contract for the Mk5s. I think we have to hope the noise issue is er unheard !.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Actually. This over the top cut back in stock might work in the favour of the Mk5s. The sooner TPE is seen to be very short of stock then the sooner TPE (DfT) might be persuaded to sign a new contract for the Mk5s. I think we have to hope the noise issue is er unheard !.
Sadly I suspect once the Mk5s have gone, they will be gone. Just look at Southern which lost the 313s + 455s without replacements. Or even XC with all the overcrowding issues they have (soon to be made worse when the HSTs get retired).

If anything I can see TPE cutting back Liverpool - Cleethorpes back to Manchester - Cleethorpes to free up 185s before they get more rolling stock.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sadly I suspect once the Mk5s have gone, they will be gone. Just look at Southern which lost the 313s + 455s without replacements. Or even XC with all the overcrowding issues they have (soon to be made worse when the HSTs get retired).

And so they should, they've been a pain from start to finish.

If TPE find themselves in a better position, ordering more 802s would be better.

On Moderation
And so they should, they've been a pain from start to finish.
They’ve been no better or worse than many other fleets. The reason they seem worse is down to the utterly inept and woeful WorstGroup management of the TPE operation.

BoroAndy

Thanks for the reality check. I had not realised any were out on Friday !. I did not se any I looked for in RTT and assumed the strike was probably comprehensive enough.

What noise issue? Changing the Scarborough TMD work to daytime solved the problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What noise issue? Changing the Scarborough TMD work to daytime solved the problem.

It may have reduced the complaints, but 68s are seriously loud. They're like HST power cars used to be with the Paxman Valentas (which for those who don't remember was like standing next to a plane that was taking off), and at idle are even louder. I stood next to one at idle at Bicester North a few weeks back and the platform was shaking.

I don't think these existing at all are making the railway a good neighbour.

sjpowermac

Established Member
It may have reduced the complaints, but 68s are seriously loud. They're like HST power cars used to be with the Paxman Valentas (which for those who don't remember was like standing next to a plane that was taking off), and at idle are even louder. I stood next to one at idle at Bicester North a few weeks back and the platform was shaking.

I don't think these existing at all are making the railway a good neighbour.
The Class 68 locomotive with the ETS switched off is actually quieter than a Class 185.

When the Class 68/Mk5A sets depart Scarborough station bound for the depot the ETS is switched off. When they arrive on the depot the engine is shut down. Once a set has been fuelled, the toilet tanks emptied and coaches cleaned, the loco is re-started, again without ETS and is moved a short distance out of the way before it’s shut down again.

There was a post on here a couple of years ago about the operation of the depot, which I’ve copied the text from, but I’m afraid I can’t find the original.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction will be from the locals if/when the depot is re-purposed for Class 185s and their noisy cycling.

87electric

In relation to the Class 68/Mk5A sets and those applauding the decision to stop using them, it’s extremely worrying that TPE are not envisioning growth on the route.
I think people are very, very slowly realising that growth is a dirty word across all industries and not just rail. This country is certainly being dismantled however you look at it.
Someone tell me the positives at this point in time. I’m a positive person but even I’m being tested.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I think people are very, very slowly realising that growth is a dirty word across all industries and not just rail. This country is certainly being dismantled however you look at it.
Someone tell me the positives at this point in time. I’m a positive person but even I’m being tested.
Yes, I’d very much agree with all of that.

I would contend that it’s a huge shame and an opportunity missed that the Class 68/Mk5A sets have not been seen as a great tool with which to grow the passenger market over the Pennines.

For the avoidance of doubt, I’m also a generally positive person, which is why I’m seriously considering giving up on railways;)

CAF397

I can see the DfT in all this to be honest.

The MD has said that the December 2023 TT is temporary and there will be an uplift in December 2024 - what that will be is not known. However more crews will be trained on 802s and that fleet will be worked harder.

But it was also said that the existing fleet will be used until at least 2027.

Kieran1990

The MD has said that the December 2023 TT is temporary and there will be an uplift in December 2024 - what that will be is not known. However more crews will be trained on 802s and that fleet will be worked harder.

The 802’s (19 of them) aren’t heavily diagramed at present if I am right in thinking.
7 on Newcastle-Liverpool
4 on Man Picc- Newcastle
1 on Anglo-Scottish (WCML)
2 on Newcastle-Edinburgh
14 out of 19

Established Member
How's the 802 that had its derailment at Heaton coming along?
3 coaches at Hitachi Newton Aycliffe.

Unknown where the damaged 2 coaches are, in May I observed them at Long Marston, where they were being assessed by insurance company, and repair hadn’t started. Not heard anything since then.

Killingworth

Established Member
The 802’s (19 of them) aren’t heavily diagramed at present if I am right in thinking.
7 on Newcastle-Liverpool
4 on Man Picc- Newcastle
2 on Newcastle-Edinburgh
14 out of 19
I see that from December the final Edinburgh - Newcastle service is extended to Liverpool.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
There is currently an empty class 802 running most weekdays between Edge Hill Depot and Leeds and back via the Calder Valley. Is that for route training/retention for the forthcoming diversions?

3RDGEN

7 on Newcastle-Liverpool
4 on Man Picc- Newcastle
2 on Newcastle-Edinburgh
14 out of 19
There's currently just 13 diagrammed weekdays so I suspect its 3 on the two hourly Newcastle - Picc service which go in December anyway. The 397's should cover the WCML diagram so plenty of 802 slack to reinstate the 4tph York/Leeds/Manchester timetable without the MkV's once traincrew are trained up.

With the massive amount of engineering work and disruption for the TRU over the next few years significant growth on the north route just isn't going to happen.

sjpowermac

Established Member

Thank you for the info, most appreciated.

Same old, same old with TPE, it’s always ‘jam tomorrow’.

I can see TRU rumbling on for years and being altered along the way.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The Class 68 locomotive with the ETS switched off is actually quieter than a Class 185.

When the Class 68/Mk5A sets depart Scarborough station bound for the depot the ETS is switched off. When they arrive on the depot the engine is shut down. Once a set has been fuelled, the toilet tanks emptied and coaches cleaned, the loco is re-started, again without ETS and is moved a short distance out of the way before it’s shut down again.

There was a post on here a couple of years ago about the operation of the depot, which I’ve copied the text from, but I’m afraid I can’t find the original.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction will be from the locals if/when the depot is re-purposed for Class 185s and their noisy cycling.
Yes a lot of successful effort has gone into making the use of the 68s+Mk5s less intrusive at Scarborough. I don't know how much of a penalty that has been on operations ?.
Yes, I’d very much agree with all of that.

I would contend that it’s a huge shame and an opportunity missed that the Class 68/Mk5A sets have not been seen as a great tool with which to grow the passenger market over the Pennines.

For the avoidance of doubt, I’m also a generally positive person, which is why I’m seriously considering giving up on railways;)
I sense that the use of TPE Mk5s was getting more successfully organised and all that effort to make it so is being thrown away just when it might be coming to fruition.

Aww. The best place to show up as positive is in situations where all around are not being positive. You might have to remind me I said that one day !.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Yes a lot of successful effort has gone into making the use of the 68s+Mk5s less intrusive at Scarborough. I don't know how much of a penalty that has been on operations ?.

I sense that the use of TPE Mk5s was getting more successfully organised and all that effort to make it so is being thrown away just when it might be coming to fruition.

Aww. The best place to show up as positive is in situations where all around are not being positive. You might have to remind me I said that one day !.
I agree. I think there has been a lot of work put into the Class 68/Mk5A sets.

Agree too about being positive:)

geoffk

Established Member
At least they have been a return to the "retro" concept of push-pull loco-hauled trains - loco-hauled relief trains next? ;) :lol:
We had these years ago between Glasgow and Edinburgh - first top-and-tail 27s then 47s plus DVT. I don't recall reading of major problems with those.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
We had these years ago between Glasgow and Edinburgh - first top-and-tail 27s then 47s plus DVT. I don't recall reading of major problems with those.
Even an HST is effectively a top-and-tail class 43 operation. They seem to have been a blinding success in their almost 50 year service. But then along came these pesky underfloor noise and vibration making devices !.

BoroAndy

Even an HST is effectively a top-and-tail class 43 operation. They seem to have been a blinding success in their almost 50 year service. But then along came these pesky underfloor noise and vibration making devices !.
Yes..... DMUs should be slowly phasing out to modern locos or electric solutions. Even the 1xx number range has nearly ended.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes indeed. I think the timetable is consistently dreadful across all regions.

I wonder what the reaction will be of the northern mayors who sit on the board of Transport for the North?

Their December 2023 timetable has the appearance of coming back to have another go at killing as much demand as they can on the route.
Exactly my sentiments, they seem to be simply throwing in the towel somewhat. Yet I'm sure many of us will still not be surprised if/when the reduced timetable starts to fall apart as punters shoehorn onto the remaining TPE capacity and timings are lost. As I've said over on the December 2023 thread, it feels very much like a dial back to previous years when the service was simply appalling and getting a space on some trains was nothing short of a combination of the dark arts and brute force. I for one will be going even further out of my way to avoid TPE as the service gets worse. And as the 185s move into their effective middle ages things might just get worse still.

Just as an aside, I can't help wondering if some within Northern lament the dropping of the idea of a Northern Connect brand. They could have gone into direct competition with TPE, with the strapline "You've more chance of getting there with us!". It certainly hasn't hurt National Express hinting that they can save you from TPE. Come to think about it this is a measure of how bad things are on TPE when a coach company using the M62 is vying for more passengers from them!

driver9000

Established Member
The 397's should cover the WCML diagram so plenty of 802 slack to reinstate the 4tph York/Leeds/Manchester timetable without the MkV's once traincrew are trained up.

The 802 diagram on the WCML is to allow Glasgow and Preston crews to maintain competence on them. It provides the ability to drop an 802 onto a 397 diagram should the need ever arise.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Just as an aside, I can't help wondering if some within Northern lament the dropping of the idea of a Northern Connect brand. They could have gone into direct competition with TPE, with the strapline "You've more chance of getting there with us!". It certainly hasn't hurt National Express hinting that they can save you from TPE. Come to think about it this is a measure of how bad things are on TPE when a coach company using the M62 is vying for more passengers from them!
Has there been any official publication to support this claim, or is it a (probably accurate) guess?

sjpowermac

Established Member
The 802 diagram on the WCML is to allow Glasgow and Preston crews to maintain competence on them. It provides the ability to drop an 802 onto a 397 diagram should the need ever arise.
Am I correct in saying in addition to crew competency, the diagram also serves as a way of getting a set to Craigentinny for maintenance?

I think an 802 works:
1S88 2004 Manchester Airport-Edinburgh
5S88 2355 Edinburgh-Craigentinny

The two reasons combined would certainly make it highly unlikely the WCML diagram would cease.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Am I correct in saying in addition to crew competency, the diagram also serves as a way of getting a set to Craigentinny for maintenance?

I think an 802 works:
1S88 2004 Manchester Airport-Edinburgh
5S88 2355 Edinburgh-Craigentinny

The two reasons combined would certainly make it highly unlikely the WCML diagram would cease.
No; it's a Craigentinny-Craigentinny diagram. 802s haven't routinely visited Manchester Airport on North route services since the pre-Covid timetable.