• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 3 (Class 68 + Mk5s) updates and withdrawal from service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Valiant

Instead 5Q42 0957 to Crewe South Yard ran with 68027 with TP13. Also on Wednesday 5Q32 1211 Crewe South Yard to Longsight ran, don't know what was on this one.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I am puzzled. Why is one getting nearer to the action ?.

Or is Longsight being used for warm storage ?.
Presumably maintenance/limited storage capacity at each location.

When in service there were a maximum of seven spaces at Longsight for Class 68/Mk5A sets. As I understand it this is currently reduced to five due to more Class 397s being on the depot than is usual.

I’m not sure if a longer term storage location has been decided on yet for the Class 68/Mk5A sets. I think Gascoigne Wood was being proposed.

I guess in the interim the sets will shuffle round between Gascoigne Wood/Longsight/Crewe South Yard.

CHAPS2034

From another group

Today 68027 took TP07 from Longsight to Crewe

and was due to return with TP05

When I passed Longsight late last week, there were at least 3 Mk5 sets there.

I assume that as they are still on lease, the scheduled maintenance has still to be carried out?

sjpowermac

Established Member
From another group

Today 68027 took TP07 from Longsight to Crewe

and was due to return with TP05

When I passed Longsight late last week, there were at least 3 Mk5 sets there.

I assume that as they are still on lease, the scheduled maintenance has still to be carried out?
Many thanks for the info from today, most appreciated.

Yes, the Mk5A sets are on lease to TPE until the end of May.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Today Thursday 04th January 2024. 5Q94 1157 Longsight Tmd to Long Marston appeared on www.realtimetrains.co.uk yesterday 03rd January 2024 late on. Possible mk5 move storage to Long Marston from Longsight.
If it is, is it possible could be at Long Marston for some time, then elsewhere? Abroad, worst case Scrap.
Or maybe keeping safe at Long Marston for Chiltern in due course? But even so if it isn't moved around the yard at Long Marston for a while. Deterioration could occur and will not help Chiltern or make life easier for the sets or sets when they return again if idle for a large amount of time.

Also shows on old live rail record website also.
Starts Light engine 0655 ON32 Derby Rtc to Longsight Tmd D depot.
Then 5Q94 1157 Longsight Tmd to Long Marston.
Then 0M57 2147 Long Marston to Derby Rtc light engine.

Liam L

GDAqUpda4AAIFHt

Saw it earlier between Longbridge and Barnt Green, I suspect there will be more of these moves to come?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Today Thursday 04th January 2024. 5Q94 1157 Longsight Tmd to Long Marston appeared on www.realtimetrains.co.uk yesterday 03rd January 2024 late on. Possible mk5 move storage to Long Marston from Longsight.
If it is, is it possible could be at Long Marston for some time, then elsewhere? Abroad, worst case Scrap.
Or maybe keeping safe at Long Marston for Chiltern in due course? But even so if it isn't moved around the yard at Long Marston for a while. Deterioration could occur and will not help Chiltern or make life easier for the sets or sets when they return again if idle for a large amount of time.

Also shows on old live rail record website also.
Starts Light engine 0655 ON32 Derby Rtc to Longsight Tmd D depot.
Then 5Q94 1157 Longsight Tmd to Long Marston.
Then 0M57 2147 Long Marston to Derby Rtc light engine.
Class37 hauling TP03 AND a 68032 (DIT). The optimist in me says the 68 is to enable warm storage - makes sense anyway as TPE are responsible for the upkeep of the coaches until the end of lease (June 2024).

BoroAndy

Class37 hauling TP03 AND a 68032 (DIT). The optimist in me says the 68 is to enable warm storage - makes sense anyway as TPE are responsible for the upkeep of the coaches until the end of lease (June 2024).
So why can't the 68 do the hauling, or is it a driver issue?

warwickshire

On Moderation
If it's ROG undertaking the move, assume their drivers don't sign 68s.
Maybe that driver didn't? Or possibly the Mk5 end Coach driving trailer end?.
Briefly when the 68s went on moves to Gascoigne Wood with 68s and in particular Doncaster Europort to Cleethorpes on ecs moves due to space Cleethorpes, the Rail operations group drivers did the moves back then, and do Remember back at Crewe back in October 2022, some class 68s light engine moves from Gascoigne Wood and Longsight was by Rail Operations Group drivers, when travelling by TFW, before 197s came into service in passenger traffic. In order to get them to Crewe Diesel Depot for repair.

Forty29

Is the class 68 being stored as well or to keep coaches powered up occasionally to prevent deterioration?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
What is the set stored at Gascoigne Wood sidings?
This is/was supposed to be 68030 and TP06.

Probably filled by the gap left by TP03 going to Long Marston recently.
Is the class 68 being stored as well or to keep coaches powered up occasionally to prevent deterioration?
I would assume the 68s are to assist with warm storage. The 68s are otherwise quite usable for freight.

On Moderation

I would assume the 68s are to assist with warm storage. The 68s are otherwise quite usable for freight.
Don't forget that the sets are still on lease to TPE and presumably the 68s are still on sub-lease from DRS until the same date.

The 68s are usable for freight, but that depends if DRS have a use for them. Given that DRS have been sub-sub-leasing four 68s back from TPE during RHTT season and are handing them back to TPE, that suggests there is no extra work for them. I would not be surprised if the 68s stay at Long Marston until their sub-lease ends and then go back to DRS (assuming that the DRS lease with Beacon doesn't end at the same time).

I believe there was a set still there at about 14:30 yesterday

Evolution

Surely these sets will find a new home. I can think of quite a few operators who could use these to remove their old unreliable, aging fleet. But it comes down to who can afford them, I suppose.

As mentioned the 68s will likely return to DRS.

I know the MK5a are cleared for 125mph running, does anyone know if they could work with a 67? Could this be a potential option for higher speed running?

EZJ

Surely these sets will find a new home. I can think of quite a few operators who could use these to remove their old unreliable, aging fleet. But it comes down to who can afford them, I suppose.

I know the MK5a are cleared for 125mph running, does anyone know if they could work with a 67? Could this be a potential option for higher speed running?
The Mk5's were specifically designed to work with the modified 68 TPE locos and 2 modified DRS locos and a lot of the time that was very troublesome, for them to work with another loco would take considerable time and expense I would imagine. My honest opinion is sadly these rakes will be parked up and forgotten about and may never see service again.

Greybeard33

Established Member

I think you might find that this has previously been discussed in the following thread:

warwickshire

On Moderation
5Q94 0825 Longsight TMD with 37884 grim reaper Cepheus 68024 and TPO4 , now at Long Marston.
Witnessed on time Barnt Green. Possibly are keeping sets at Long Marston so they can trial them to see maybe six coaches for if Chiltern.
By moving up and down yard for any issues?
However, Long Marston has a paint shop only downfall to Chiltern, would be relievery in horrible Grey livery. Like the 3501s got relievery but that was a job well done.
However if Chiltern let's hope they keep the tpe livery but only the decals change. Not livery.
However with 37884 Cepheus up front, never know what future holds.

Wednesday 10th January 2024. www.realtimetrains.co.uk.
1. 5Q32 0916 Gasgoine Wood sidings to Longsight TMD depot another one to Longsight for hardback.
How many more are at Gasgoine Wood, or is this now it all gone from there???.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
5Q94 0825 Longsight TMD with 37884 grim reaper Cepheus 68024 and TPO4 , now at Long Marston.
Witnessed on time Barnt Green. Possibly are keeping sets at Long Marston so they can trial them to see maybe six coaches for if Chiltern.
By moving up and down yard for any issues?
However, Long Marston has a paint shop only downfall to Chiltern, would be relievery in horrible Grey livery. Like the 3501s got relievery but that was a job well done.
However if Chiltern let's hope they keep the tpe livery but only the decals change. Not livery.
However with 37884 Cepheus up front, never know what future holds.

Wednesday 10th January 2024. www.realtimetrains.co.uk.
1. 5Q32 0916 Gasgoine Wood sidings to Longsight TMD depot another one to Longsight for hardback.
How many more are at Gasgoine Wood, or is this now it all gone from there???.

Gascoigne Wood to Longsight didn't run yesterday and I can't see any future moves on RTT.