• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

8J

In cab training at TPE has resumed, 8J is wrong.

You may be confusing trials with actual training being sanctioned to resume across the company.

There's a number of drivers at my depot who are waiting for the nod. Other TOCs have resumed training, TPE however have not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TeaTrain

I think that my contract is safe for the moment. While I am still waiting for my training to start I have been paid for the last 7 months and have had phone meetings with various staff. I am also having a zoom conference with the Driver Company Council over the next few days/weeks so I think it would be weird for TPE to be doing all this and then tell me my job cannot go ahead. I also have all my uniform waiting for me and have received all my passes/ID.

Of course there is always that possibility but I have been told from multiple members of staff, including my line manager, that my job is safe.

When will I start at Man Pic? Well that I have no idea! Time will tell!

marty1977

I think that my contract is safe for the moment. While I am still waiting for my training to start I have been paid for the last 7 months and have had phone meetings with various staff. I am also having a zoom conference with the Driver Company Council over the next few days/weeks so I think it would be weird for TPE to be doing all this and then tell me my job cannot go ahead. I also have all my uniform waiting for me and have received all my passes/ID.

Of course there is always that possibility but I have been told from multiple members of staff, including my line manager, that my job is safe.

When will I start at Man Pic? Well that I have no idea! Time will tell!

I wouldn't worry you're a contracted driver so your job is safe 100% I would say. However it wouldn't surprise me if it was the new year before you joined us. I take it you are on the full drivers wage now? Sit back and enjoy Christmas would be my advice :)

Atishyou

You may be confusing trials with actual training being sanctioned to resume across the company.

There's a number of drivers at my depot who are waiting for the nod. Other TOCs have resumed training, TPE however have not.

TPE have definitely resumed training, with trials at some depots.

TeaTrain

I'm not on the full salary yet as those of us who are waiting to start training have not completed 2 months of actual work. Still training wage but can't complain!

Yes I don't see it happening until after the new year as well.

TeaTrain

A short update from me. I have recently been to pick up my uniform and have finalised joining ASLEF. I have popped into the depot a few times at Man Pic as well to sort out some admin.

We also had a zoom conference with the driver company council which gave a lot of reassurance.

While only small steps it does feel good to at least be in contact with TPE now.

marty1977

A short update from me. I have recently been to pick up my uniform and have finalised joining ASLEF. I have popped into the depot a few times at Man Pic as well to sort out some admin.

We also had a zoom conference with the driver company council which gave a lot of reassurance.

While only small steps it does feel good to at least be in contact with TPE now.
Good stuff!! You will be in the messroom moaning about 3 Huddersfields and an empties to Ardwick in no time.

TeaTrain

ha ha I have no idea why 3 trips to Huddersfield would be something to moan about but I am sure I will find out!

Tally In

Has anyone who passed the DMI (TPE) in March last year heard any news regarding courses this year. Thanks (Also posted on a new thread).

TeaTrain

Nope we are still at home waiting to hear something. Nothing has changed get paid, stay at home!

Tally In

Ok thanks. I have emailed for an update prior to Christmas but no reply as yet. Here's hoping.

Shearer9

I E mailed just before Christmas asking if there were any courses planned for the start of the year / spring, response was that there was no update and they will be in touch when they have an update.

TeaTrain

EDIT: Not long after I wrote this today I received an email stating that distance learning would commence shortly, will go onto full rate of pay and it’s backdated. Happy Days!

At the moment there is such a backlog of trainees and qualified who need to get through with bits and bobs first that any complete new starters will be waiting a while yet.

The company has also allowed us to get secondary employment while waiting. I’m just enjoying staying at home with family for a while longer! My son is going on 10 months now! Was born one week before I was due to start. It’s been amazing watching him grow and have that bond with him. He started crawling last night!

Last edited:

Yabba

I went for my DMI on 4th Feb 2020 so on the 4th of Feb this year I thought I would send an email to recruitment. I never heard anything after my interview and with Covid I thought the whole thing had been put to sleep with the exception of those that had already been given the nod. I start a new job in March with the Civil Service and I guess the reason for my email was to get them to confirm that it was the end of the line (excuse the pun) for me so I could concentrate on the new job and no wonder what could have been.

I received the reply today:
"Unfortunately we have no update on the recruitment for this vacancy at the moment, we will be in touch as soon as we do. Thank you for your patience."

Is this just a standard reply? Am I still in with a chance once some form of normality returns? Seems I have made it worse for myself now :s:s:lol::lol:

TeaTrain

if you haven’t had a no then yes you are still being considered. We have only just started to do our apprenticeship and even that has only been two days by remote learning. There is a massive backlog of trainees that they need to get through.

Unfortunately it is a standard reply. Good luck whichever path you choose!

Shearer9

Sounds exactly the response I got at the start of January. Fingers crossed there will be some courses after the one that has just started.

BoroAndy

if you haven’t had a no then yes you are still being considered. We have only just started to do our apprenticeship and even that has only been two days by remote learning. There is a massive backlog of trainees that they need to get through.

Unfortunately it is a standard reply. Good luck whichever path you choose!
"Massive Backlog" How many of the alleged 8000 applicants got as far as Interview?

TeaTrain

I wasn’t talking about just the trainees from this course. But the trainees that started on the course just in front who still has months to go. Then there is the qualified drivers who need refreshing, traction and route learning after moving from another TOC and THEN us. So yes there is an unusually “massive backlog”.

I don’t know how many got through to interview but there were quite a few dates to choose from and about 5-8 a day based on the times I could choose.

ChooChoo2

I’m still waiting on a DMI, emailed a few months back and just got told there was no update and they would be in touch when there was.
It’s weird, a lot of other TOCs have had jobs up, interviewed and started their training where as TPE are still on hold.

Emilali

Wouldnt get your hopes up I’m afraid. Well over establishment at some depots. They’ve taken on so many over the last 2/3 years.

Shearer9

Wouldnt get your hopes up I’m afraid. Well over establishment at some depots. They’ve taken on so many over the last 2/3 years.
If they are over establishment at depots and taken on so many drivers over the last 3 years, why would they advertise jobs and send numerous applicants through a costly set of tests?

8J

If they are over establishment at depots and taken on so many drivers over the last 3 years, why would they advertise jobs and send numerous applicants through a costly set of tests?

One reason for these vacancies being posted is that pre covid, they were expecting additional work including taking over the running of Liverpool - Nottingham from East Midlands Railway (hence the latest round of vacancies were for Liverpool and Sheffield depots)

I believe that is not happening for the foreseeable future, if at all now. EMR Nottingham depot (which crews the Liverpool - Nottingham - Norwich service) has expanded which tells mme the work will not be changing hands any time soon.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
EMR Nottingham depot (which crews the Liverpool - Nottingham - Norwich service) has expanded which tells mme the work will not be changing hands any time soon.
A growth in the establishment would not be needed just to keep running the Liverpool service as they do now. Nottingham depot covers all sorts of services apart from Liverpool - the expansion is mainly down to the increase in regional services which EMR will be delivering over the next few years.

TeaTrain

That’s an excellent rate for a trainee! It’s interesting how it varies for each TOC. How and when people move up the pay scales etc. TPE is a blessing really!

Columbo87

I went through the process for TPE and was waiting on the final interview when COVID struck. After a year of being on hold I got told that the vacancy has been pulled a few days ago and it is closed. Thankfully with passing the assessments early in 2020 I applied for Northern a few months ago and I'm now in the application being considered stage.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and waited a year to have the plug pulled?

Status
Not open for further replies.