• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trackside vegetation on preserved lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why

A question a hope you knowledgeable people may be able the answer ?

I saw a photo of i think Blue Anchor station in a railway mag the other day with a vegetation on the track beginning to take route after the period of inactivity.

When the preserved lines are working normally how is the process of keeping weeds etc to a minimum? I assume a weed killing train of sorts would be cost prohibitive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think that the East Lancs Railway has in the past operated a road-rail MPV vehicle for weed killing duties, looks a bit like a yellow Land Rover with large containers in the rear load area for the weedkiller (and the spraying equipment) and obviously it's been adapted for running on railway track.

paul1609

Established Member
A question a hope you knowledgeable people may be able the answer ?

I saw a photo of i think Blue Anchor station in a railway mag the other day with a vegetation on the track beginning to take route after the period of inactivity.

When the preserved lines are working normally how is the process of keeping weeds etc to a minimum? I assume a weed killing train of sorts would be cost prohibitive?
At the Kent & East Sussex Railway we have a spray set that's set up on a flatbed wagon that travels the whole network in May each year. You can just about see it in this photo from the Co Facebook. The operators have the necessary licences etc. FB_IMG_1591712973975.jpg

Glenmutchkin

There is a contractor using such a vehicle who covers several lines including the Bo'ness & Kinneil and Edinburgh trams in this part of the world. If I remember correctly they are based on the Severn Valley.

They normally visit the B&KR around this time of year but as the site is in lockdown I don't suppose it will happen soon. Something else to add to this year's backlog for PW teams.

Titfield

Established Member
Swanage Railway use a combination of flail and strimmer cutting plus weed killing. Of course the odd spark or hot ash can create a burn!

alexl92

Established Member
I've got to say, on preserved lines that are ex-branchlines or seek to recreate the feel of a branchline, i absolutely love seeing the track slightly overgrown. Tanfield is a particular favourite. But I realise that there are various issues with allowing the vegetation to grow.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The Talyllyn has been using some local horses to assist on vegetation clearance - very sound. (very localised though) - some "preserved" goats might assist on eco-friendly clearances.....

Skutter

Some railways have hired in the weedkiller train from the mainline when it's in the area, not sure if this still happens. For instance at the MHR (not my vid)

david_g

Welshpool & Llanfair uses a combination of a weed killing train spraying the trackbed between the cesses, contractors operate the sprayers. Like the K&ESR normallly done in May. This year it was out last week.
Then there is a tractor mounted flail carried om a rollwagen which does a couple of passes each year if possible. Like the weedkilling train this can really only operate when no other trains are running due to the low speed and multiple passes in some locations.
Finally there is the Fence2fence gang (aka the Hedgebash gang) who mainly meet once a month from September to March to undertake vegetation clearance. This can range from taking down large trees to clearing undergrowth (blackthorn is great fun) to strimming. We are slowly getting on top of it though more volunteers are always welcome:D

341o2

Established Member
The Talyllyn has been using some local horses to assist on vegetation clearance - very sound. (very localised though) - some "preserved" goats might assist on eco-friendly clearances.....
Back in the 80's on the Tallylyn, you would be given a sickle and rode on a bogie flat. Known as bramble bashing. Later, the railway built its own hedgecutter

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Weedkilling Road rail land rovers are not too expensive and I know many use those. We have at the KWVR in the past but we also have our own equipment to spray from our own engineering trains.

Amlag

Weedkilling Road rail land rovers are not too expensive and I know many use those. We have at the KWVR in the past but we also have our own equipment to spray from our own engineering trains.

'One year's seed is seven year's weed'
How true this countryman's saying is.
Take a look at recent pictures of some stations on the WSR unofficial website, showing what happens when track is not weedsprayed.
At least Network Rail have managed to carry out their annual Weedspraying programme by train, despite recent restrictions caused by the Virus.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
We have fortunately managed to hand spray our worst areas. To try keep it not too much trouble in years to come.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some railways have hired in the weedkiller train from the mainline when it's in the area, not sure if this still happens. For instance at the MHR (not my vid)
That brings back memories.
Sometime around 1992 I spent a couple of weeks trundling up and down the line behind the 08 in a guards van with a Lowmac that carried one of the local farmers and his flail fitted tractor.
I had to wind the handbrake on and off in the van to stop everything going too fast for the tractor driver.
Too tight and the wheels on the van would lock up...
It was a very pleasant couple of weeks I must say.

PFX

At Downpatrick & County Down Railway, we have a ballast regulator which doubles as the weed sprayer and has a tank and spray attachments permanently fitted. For bigger jobs, we did have an ex-NIR hedge cutter but since it's death, we invested in a flail which is used by one of our road/rail excavators.

TheSel

Persevered lines? Keep going and carry on! :rolleyes:
It's like the old Parish Magazine that once reported:

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Vere, who, after 15 years marriage, have been blessed with their first child. He is to be called Percy. The christening will take place next Sunday at ...

Status
Not open for further replies.