• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Traffic Commissioner Role to be Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
An online consultation has been opened to review the role of the Traffic Commissioner. It's running from today until the 8th of September, and the results are expected next spring.

A review of the Traffic Commissioner (TC) function has been launched by the Department for Transport (DfT).
It will consider TCs’ roles, delivery model, governance and funding arrangements, as well as current issues that they face, such as the impact of the pandemic and increased workloads.
DfT says that the intention of the review is for it to provide “robust assessment, challenge and assurance on the health and effectiveness” of the TCs and the Office of the Traffic Commissioners (OTC) to ensure that they are fit for the future. Questions relating to many facets of their work are included on the review webpage, but among the specific items to be examined are:
  • Whether the functions that are provided by and in the name of the TCs are required
  • Whether the TCs are carrying out their functions effectively and efficiently, and whether the support provided by DVSA and OTC allows the TCs to do
  • The appropriateness of delivering additional functions.
Industry members, local authorities, trade bodies and passenger groups are among those that have been encouraged to participate in the online consultation. It opened on 11 August and will close on 8 September. The review’s recommendations are expected to be published in spring 2022.
The relationship between TCs and DVSA features strongly in what the review will examine. In the TCs’ annual report for 2020-21, they note that the appointment of Loveday Ryder as DVSA Chief Executive on 1 January “is already paying dividends,” and that the TCs have signed a new service level agreement with DVSA that commits the Agency “to improving the service delivered to regulated industries.”
Ms Ryder’s predecessor at the helm of DVSA, Gareth Llewellyn, launched a scathing and widely derided attack on the TCs in front of the Transport Select Committee on 25 November 2020, describing them as “anachronistic” and claiming that they were no longer required.
Under-Secretary of State for Transport Baroness Vere says that the government intends for the review of the Traffic Commissioner function to be “thorough” to ensure that “this important function is as effective as possible.”

*Edit* the link to the review page is here:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

An online consultation has been opened to review the role of the Traffic Commissioner. It's running from today until the 8th of September, and the results are expected next spring.

*Edit* the link to the review page is here:
Interesting - thanks for posting, it had passed me by. My first thoughts are: I wonder what has prompted this? Why now? What is perceived to be broken that needs fixing?

I am not aware of any particular operational difficulties at the Traffic Commissioners, apart from the staff displacement issues currently faced by many organisations and businesses.

Pure speculation on possible outcomes:
  • Things remain largely the same, minor tweaks, a hike in fees.
  • The TCs are abolished, with roles and responsibilities devolved to local/regional authorities. (Gulp! o_O)
  • Changes to the organisational structure, with the Commissioners being absorbed into the Office of Rail and Road (perhaps this is what has prompted things, some kind of internal Whitehall turf war?).

johncrossley

Established Member
The TCs are abolished, with roles and responsibilities devolved to local/regional authorities. (Gulp! o_O)

Why 'gulp'? The TCs were only really needed because of deregulation. The National Transport Authority renew licences for commercial services in Ireland even though it also regulates the PSO (Public Service Obligation) network. I'd be surprised if many other developed countries have a similar TC type body.

Why 'gulp'? The TCs were only really needed because of deregulation. The National Transport Authority renew licences for commercial services in Ireland even though it also regulates the PSO (Public Service Obligation) network. I'd be surprised if many other developed countries have a similar TC type body.
The point was part of my speculation on possible outcomes from the DfT review. I have misgivings about the prospect of local/regional authorities potentially taking over the functions of the TCs, but since it is speculation anyway, it is pointless to speculate in great detail. Let us wait for the outcome of the review, and then I will explain my views more fully.
The Traffic Commissioner role started in 1930, deregulation reduced their role (as there were less regulations for them to deal with).
Thanks for that date, for some reason I had 1933 in mind for their formation.

RT4038

Established Member
The TCs had a greater role during the regulated period, as far as bus service licensing was concerned, presiding over the initial set up of road service licensing, and of every timetable, route and particularly fares change. After deregulation their role on services diminished and fares disappeared, but Operator licensing (both for HGV and PCV) considerably increased from the mid 70s onwards, as the emphasis moved from quantity licensing to quality.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Good luck with that, since the Scottish Government will most likely disagree with those changes.

As will the Welsh Government, on principle!
The Scottish and Welsh governments will be able to express any views they have via the consultation. I'd be disappointed if they didn't put forward their respective views on the matter due to the devolution of transport functions.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Scottish and Welsh governments will be able to express any views they have via the consultation. I'd be disappointed if they didn't put forward their respective views on the matter due to the devolution of transport functions.
I meant they will find something to disagree with in the recommendations the review makes.

Good luck with that, since the Scottish Government will most likely disagree with those changes.

As will the Welsh Government, on principle!

Reading the review questionnaire it does seem to be aimed at operators (not just buses), rather than the higher-level administrators, though I dare say input from those parties will be taken into account

Mildly curious as to why the devolved governments haven’t set up their own TC equivalents already, as transport is a devolved responsibility. Much is made of the meme “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”; there is a codicil to that: “If it ain’t broke and you try to fix it, it is now your fault”.

Titfield

Established Member
The TCs had a greater role during the regulated period, as far as bus service licensing was concerned, presiding over the initial set up of road service licensing, and of every timetable, route and particularly fares change. After deregulation their role on services diminished and fares disappeared, but Operator licensing (both for HGV and PCV) considerably increased from the mid 70s onwards, as the emphasis moved from quantity licensing to quality.

For those perhaps not familiar with the role of the TCs quality licensing means that the TC acts as a gatekeeper in what is effectively a safety regulatory role ensuring that new applicants for O licences meet financial standing and competency requirements and are able to follow the rules and regulations and that existing operators if found to be failing to meet their obligations are called to account.

For those perhaps not familiar with the role of the TCs quality licensing means that the TC acts as a gatekeeper in what is effectively a safety regulatory role ensuring that new applicants for O licences meet financial standing and competency requirements and are able to follow the rules and regulations and that existing operators if found to be failing to meet their obligations are called to account.
Indeed, and this is absolutely why I do not want to see their role diluted, fragmented, abolished, or otherwise tampered with.

My posts in other topics probably show that I am broadly in favour of market-driven, rather than centrally-planned, services, but with a strong, impartial and generally well-trusted regulatory body overseeing the matters you describe.

So far as I can see, nobody has yet come up with an explanation as to why this review of TC functionality is seen to be necessary.

RT4038

Established Member
So far as I can see, nobody has yet come up with an explanation as to why this review of TC functionality is seen to be necessary.
I guess this is because some Local Authorities are questioning the need for the TC to have a role in Local Bus Service registration, particularly if their area is franchised?

Man of Kent

I guess this is because some Local Authorities are questioning the need for the TC to have a role in Local Bus Service registration, particularly if their area is franchised?
Under Enhanced Partnerships (EP), the Local Transport Authority has the option to take over local bus registration from the Traffic Commissioners. Hertfordshire, the only EP already in place, took it over at the beginning of this month https://www.intalink.org.uk/registrations

Titfield

Established Member
Overseeing local bus service registrations quite frankly is an administrative procedure that could be overseen by local authorities.

The real work of the TC is the safety regulation oversight done in an independent and rigorous way.

If you go along to a Public Inquiry you can see why the work of the TC can be vital in maintaining safety.

Under Enhanced Partnerships (EP), the Local Transport Authority has the option to take over local bus registration from the Traffic Commissioners. Hertfordshire, the only EP already in place, took it over at the beginning of this month https://www.intalink.org.uk/registrations
Thanks for that link. This part caught my eye:
“For other services which operate cross-border (except those into London), the Office of the Traffic Commissioner remains the registration authority.”

Across the country there are going to be many services crossing authority boundaries. Indeed, here in Bristol, many of First’s city services have a terminus/departure point in South Gloucestershire.
Overseeing local bus service registrations quite frankly is an administrative procedure that could be overseen by local authorities.
If they want to take on the role, if they’re funded to take it on...

busmanaams

The point was part of my speculation on possible outcomes from the DfT review. I have misgivings about the prospect of local/regional authorities potentially taking over the functions of the TCs, but since it is speculation anyway, it is pointless to speculate in great detail. Let us wait for the outcome of the review, and then I will explain my views more fully.

Thanks for that date, for some reason I had 1933 in mind for their formation.
Traffic Commissioners were a consequence of the Road Traffic Act 1930. The 1933 Act tidied up some of the faults of the 1930 Act, but, more importantly created a single body responsible for all of London's "local" public transport needs. In other words effective nationalisation of the Underground network and the bus/coach/tram/trolleybus networks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.