• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train cleaner drives Stockholm train into house

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarby

In an accident at 2.30am, a train on the Saltsjöbanan local line in Stockholm barrelled through the buffers at the Salsjöbaden terminus and into an apartment building.

It is believed the driver was a cleaner. She was the only person injured (seriously) in the crash. The train would have had to pick up considerable speed to smash through the buffers and continue into the house, so it appears it must have been driven from the depot.

http://www.thelocal.se/45616/20130115/#.UPUv8mfit-0

In Swedish, with video. If you scroll down you can see from the small pictures how the train has ploughed through the buffers and veered off to the left.

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/tag-kraschade-in-i-bostadshus/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Bloody hell. It was only a few years ago that someone reversed an X2000 into the buffers at Malmo central to get it in position for the morning (before the new tunnels opened as trains now pass through underground)!

455driver

Veteran Member
Door to door service, just another way European railways are better than ours!:lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've often thought it would be nice to have a train that stops right by my house. I do have to emphasise the word 'by', as in not 'in' my house, however.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If all trains took people right to their front door, I think we'd finally see people giving up their cars!

I bet if someone set up a petition for this and posted it on Facebook, Twitter etc it would get loads of signatures too. :)

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I wonder why she did it. Got a little bored/drunk/didn't have a good enough computer for RailWorks?
From compartment stock to apartment stock in just a few simple steps...
Ah, you made me titter out loud there!

If all trains took people right to their front door, I think we'd finally see people giving up their cars!

I bet if someone set up a petition for this and posted it on Facebook, Twitter etc it would get loads of signatures too. :)

Yeah and Cardiff to London would take two days rather than two hours

Established Member

neilmc

Anyone can drive a train/bus/car, etc in terms of making it go - it's getting it to stop safely and correctly that's the difficult bit.

Established Member
Arriva the train's owner, could consider properly paying employees not minimum wage via contract firms in future. But, they won't.

dooton

I'd imagine pending the investigation there will be some lessons to be learnt. Once they find out how she got hold of the keys that is, surely they should be kept locked and accessed by drivers/depot workers only.

D1009

Established Member
In a pub in Exeter I was in last night someone suggested she had been drinking the cleaning fluid!

455driver

Veteran Member
Once they find out how she got hold of the keys that is, surely they should be kept locked and accessed by drivers/depot workers only.

They are regularly sold on flea-bay, I have got about a dozen drivers keys including the first one I was given after passing out* as a driver (that one has not even had the plastic bag opened never mind used, sad or what :oops:).

* As in completing my training not head-butting the floor. ;)

scarby

There's been a bit of a climb-down now over the suggestion that the cleaner did this deliberately, and it's suggested that it may have in fact been an accident.

Obviously if for some reason she was "allowed" to move the train and it went wrong it would be a much more plausible explanation than that she had some kind of mental aberration and decided to take the train and smash it through the buffers.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Whoever gave permission for someone unqualified to move a train is surely going to have some awkward questions to answer!

scarby

Whoever gave permission for someone unqualified to move a train is surely going to have some awkward questions to answer!

Today it has in fact emerged that the cleaner has been absolved of any wrong-doing.

Arriva has had to make an embarrassing climb-down as they had hinted that they thought it was a deliberate act and she would face prosecution.

In fact it appears that numerous safety guidelines have been breached. While I wouldn't want to make assumptions myself, it's not hard reading between the lines to see what kind of irregular practice may have been ongoing.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd imagine pending the investigation there will be some lessons to be learnt. Once they find out how she got hold of the keys that is, surely they should be kept locked and accessed by drivers/depot workers only.

Certain railway cleaners do have in fact access to train keys including driving keys. In some depots they have to start up trains to access power for their heavy cleaning equipment.

Not sure if the said lady was a bona fide rail worker though? I have heard that she is not doing too well in hospital. Whoever is to blame I hope she improves.

Zoidberg

Established Member
There's been a bit of a climb-down now over the suggestion that the cleaner did this deliberately, and it's suggested that it may have in fact been an accident.

Today it has in fact emerged that the cleaner has been absolved of any wrong-doing.

Arriva has had to make an embarrassing climb-down ...

I was looking for an article covering this and found only http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/18/3188842/sweden-train-crash-deemed-an-accident.html . That is perhaps a reflection of bad Google skills.

Extract:

STOCKHOLM -- Swedish authorities have dropped a criminal investigation against a woman previously suspected of stealing a commuter train that crashed into an apartment building.

Investigators on Friday said the woman probably started the train by accident as she was cleaning it at a depot early Tuesday.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...n-crash-deemed-an-accident.html#storylink=cpy

Has anyone come across any other sources?

Established Member
She started the train up (not unusual), they believe the brake handle was already off, compressor has built air up, brakes have come off and it's rolled away.

Any competent member of staff would have pulled a pass-com/emergency brake, and assuming she has pulled it, it makes you wonder if they were working. Occasionally, trains on depot have their brakes clipped open for works.

I recall being given a 158 from Heaton some years ago with only 1 bogie out of four having working brakes, three were still clipped open. My driver only noticed it at Micklefield Jn, and with an emergency stop it took us until Crossgates (10mi) to stop. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.