• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train collision in Poland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Whilst it is reported that one train was on the wrong side of the track, I guess the investigation needs to find out how and why that happened,

For instance was there an issue with a signal which made a train proceed when that shouldn't have been the case, was there a fault with the points or something like this. Particularly when there was engineering work I'd be very weary of anyone claiming it was as cut and dried.

Deepest sympathies to everyone.

WatcherZero

Established Member
One track was closed for engineering work and somehow the two expresses were diverted onto the same track resulting in head on collision. Death toll is upto 16 and the three mostly badly damaged coachs havent been properly searched yet.

Schnellzug

Established Member
probably not bidirectionally signalled, so one was authorised to run wrong line, but probably a breakdown in comunications, I bet.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
just goes to show how dodgy older coaching stock is, one of the damaged coaches was quite considerable bent in the middle

gordonthemoron

Established Member
the TLK and Regio coaches look like they're from the 70's or possibly earlier. The InterCity/Express services have slightly more modern sets and there are some brand new trains around Warsaw

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think they're probably the standard East German built stock used all over the former Eastern Bloc; on the regional train (the green/cream one) at least. The other one looks like an InterCity, which may have newer stock, but probably still East German built. Anyway, given that the risk of being in a Railway Accident pretty much anywhere in the world is so infinitesimally small, I think I'd still prefer Old Trains for comfort and being able to open a window, than being crammed into safe New Trains.

Drsatan

Established Member
I wouldn't call any Polish trains comfortable at all

The EIC coaches are (which I think were built in the early 1990s), as are the TLK coaches (although TLK coaches can pop up on EIC services and vice-versa), although the EN57 EMUs used everywhere in Poland, especially the ones with plastic seats, aren't at all comfortable.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The Express ones and the EC ones are reasonable, the 8 seat TLK compartments are not at all comfortable, they're no different from the Regio ones

Status
Not open for further replies.