• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Dispatch Concentration Test (TDCT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalogkid

Hello All,

Just wondering has anybody taken the TDCT before?

It seems simple but i dare not underestimate this.

Got my assessment with XC on tuesday.

All the best!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Berries

Yes, I have done this test. They have a specific order checklist of three things that need to happen for the train to depart. Then they mix them up and you have to determine if the train can depart.
I remember they play a tape, where there is a horn, and someone saying :Train ready to depart!"
You can ony dispatch the train if the sounds are in a specific order.
Make sure you listen to the instructions well. Then, ask any questions if you are unsure.

Hello All,

Just wondering has anybody taken the TDCT before?

It seems simple but i dare not underestimate this.

Got my assessment with XC on tuesday.

All the best!

I took the test around 12 months ago and got an A grade. It is very easy. Just listen for the correct sounds in the correct order.

craigybagel

Established Member
I wouldn't necessarily describe it as easy, the second part where you're both listening for the right sound sequence and answering questions can be a bit head scratching at first, and quite a few people do fail it (which if nothing else demonstrates why dispatchers arent actually allowed to do what this test simulates, which is to dispatch trains and talk to the public simultaneously). I'm not trying to make you worry, it's a straightforward enough test, but some people will find it challenging.

Established Member
First part - Not to bad.
Three noises in a row, were they in the right order?

Second part - Bit more difficult, put certainly passable.
Three noises in a row and a passenger's question.
Were they in the right order and what is the passenger's answer?

I passed this same test with Virm*n in the late 1990s.

theanalogkid

Thank you all of your positive responses.

It seems to be just common sense and remember the sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.