• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver Awareness and recognition Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theooboy

I have an assessment next week also, so that you very much for sharing these, I'm sure it'll help.
The one which worries me a little is the one where the picture flashes up for a second.
No problem put it to 1 second the software is designed to be harder

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mexman

No problem put it to 1 second the software is designed to be harder

Is this as hard as the test photo wise or are the assessment ones easier to see as im struggling like mad on this even set to 2 sec, missing loads, although it has some very hard to see road signs, in the practice where you get to see the picture as long as you want (at the end) I still took ages to find this tiny sign.
Think the best ive had was a C and that was only once.

Theooboy

Is this as hard as the test photo wise or are the assessment ones easier to see as im struggling like mad on this even set to 2 sec, missing loads, although it has some very hard to see road signs, in the practice where you get to see the picture as long as you want (at the end) I still took ages to find this tiny sign.
Think the best ive had was a C and that was only once.
When I got sent this software I myself was shocked at how fast it was and that I was making many mistakes but it did help me in the real test set it to 0.9 seconds and do the practise mode till you start to get a high score then you can do the test mode , I wouldn’t say at the test centre it was easier the pictures flash still quite fast I was still at times like damn what did I see my advice is use the software to practise it’ll help. At least you have an idea of what to expect in the real test on the day but also don’t overload yourself make sure you have a balance and also concentrate on the other tests

mexman

that software does help but it can also knock your confidence a bit, I mean how can you spot that person (circled) in a blink of an eye lol (hoping the link for the pic works now ha ha)
pics.png T
cNgqRtAurNoFnRW5A

ratbag

This is the only test I'm genuinely concerned about. The rest, I believe I will fly, but my practice tests on this specific test, is completely hit or miss. I either pass, or fail outright.

mexman

This is the only test I'm genuinely concerned about. The rest, I believe I will fly, but my practice tests on this specific test, is completely hit or miss. I either pass, or fail outright.
Same with me to mate

Dave19801980

When I did my ATAVT (....the ‘Vienna Test’)....they were much simpler pictures of the street scenes in Vienna. The picture did only stay visible for just under a second but it was easier to almost ‘squint’....as in look through the screen....as your eyes wont work quick enough to scan the whole pic in such a short time.

Any software etc is good for preparation....but the actual test will always be slightly different.

Rockhopper

I had a quick go at it - its difficult to know what they mean by a road sign for example - is a yellow no parking line on the road a road sign? I dare say in reality they'd explain it to you a bit. Still got 70% though :)

Konik

Folks, you need to remember, that in this test it is not only important to spot what they ask for, but also to NOT mark stuff not present on picture. Do not be alarmed if you missed something hidden like that pedestrian, just do not overthink it and do not mark answer if you are NOT sure. Pictures at real test are not as cluttered as one above, it's usually pretty easy to spot what you need to mark.

Andi-H27

Folks, you need to remember, that in this test it is not only important to spot what they ask for, but also to NOT mark stuff not present on picture. Do not be alarmed if you missed something hidden like that pedestrian, just do not overthink it and do not mark answer if you are NOT sure. Pictures at real test are not as cluttered as one above, it's usually pretty easy to spot what you need to mark.
Thank you! I think I am worrying more than I need to about this one! MMI is where my fear and dread should be at ;)

NorthernM

Thank you! I think I am worrying more than I need to about this one! MMI is where my fear and dread should be at ;)

I think sometimes that can be the problem. (I'm not directing this at anybody) If you struggle on practice material it can add more stress to the actual day itself. So it will have an adverse effect.

On the day you want to go into it focused but relaxed. Don't add extra stress and anxiety to the tests. On some of the tests you will probably doubt yourself too. I'd say that's normal. For me it was the tones, images and the hand eye controls. But stay calm and don't let it impact on the next task. As for the mmi.. Use the star method, focus on real life experiences where you can verbally demonstrate what 'you' did and be prepared to be asked to delve deeper into your answers.
Good luck

mexman

Well i sat the test today and got to the end of the day and must say some of the bits I was worried about were not as bad as I thought, the pictures test material on here was a help I think but tbh it did stress me out as I was getting really poor results but as others have stated the pictures on the day are not as cluttered and as hard to see things.
The MMI was the final bit and just waiting on the results back from that now, my advice would be to practice (but not to over do it) and stay calm, if you are not understanding ask, the staff are really great and will assist (before the tests start) in explaining until you know whats what 100%.

ratbag

Well i sat the test today and got to the end of the day and must say some of the bits I was worried about were not as bad as I thought, the pictures test material on here was a help I think but tbh it did stress me out as I was getting really poor results but as others have stated the pictures on the day are not as cluttered and as hard to see things.
The MMI was the final bit and just waiting on the results back from that now, my advice would be to practice (but not to over do it) and stay calm, if you are not understanding ask, the staff are really great and will assist (before the tests start) in explaining until you know whats what 100%.

Which TOC did you have your test with today?

Theooboy

Well done mate , your right the staff are nice if you don’t get anything ask otherwise you’ll end up doing something wrong on the test because you never understood and I waited 2 long weeks for my MMI results never been so anxious lol

Jon H

I’ve got mine tomorrow in Manchester for northern. Anyone else?

just booked into a local hotel now to get a good brekkie and a nice 10 min walk to the test centre.

Any last min advice. I too am worried about that perception test but if they seem clearer on the day then I won’t worry to much.

Can anyone give me some MMI example questions you had today?

Thanks
Jon

Quin79

I thought the MMI was on a separate day? I've not been concentrating on that element abd just the tests/practice material. Damn looks like will have to prep for a possible interview on the same day now just in case :(

mexman

I thought the MMI was on a separate day? I've not been concentrating on that element abd just the tests/practice material. Damn looks like will have to prep for a possible interview on the same day now just in case :(
I wouldn't worry to much about the MMI, just think sensible about it, you shouldn't have to prep much for that really.
Mine was for Northern today.
Just remember the staff are great and they know you'll be nervous so will work accordingly.

Jon H

I wouldn't worry to much about the MMI, just think sensible about it, you shouldn't have to prep much for that really.
Mine was for Northern today.
Just remember the staff are great and they know you'll be nervous so will work accordingly.

Did you have it in Manchester mate? Which station you hoping to work from? Mines Blackpool

Jon H

Thanks buddy this is my last strike I messed up on the yellow paper Teaocc test last time. Was easy I now know, but I overthought it and read the list of companies to find plumbers instead of just circle the ones with two fecking stars . Wasn’t funny at the time anyway made it back here exactly 6 months somehow so glad for the second chance.

Think I will just resit that test all 3 section again and then the pc tests.

Thanks
Jon

mexman

Good luck mate, yes just circle any matching symbols, you'll be right this time I'm sure.

mydreamjob

If you want I can send you the WAFV, ATAVT and depending on what TOC you are doing the VSE for free it normally costs 30 pounds each I think but I don’t mind sending it for free :)

That would be great! My assessment is for GWR[/QUOTE]
Would you mind sending it to me too?! Would be veeerrrrryyy grateful. No idea how one does this tho?

mexman

How did everyone sitting assessments this week get on then?
Fingers crossed you all did well.

Grace.shooter

theooboy please can you resend stage 2 practice software. Plus anything on Tea OCC would be appreciated.

TIA

mexman

Northern and yep been checking spam numourus times a day, I fell for that with interview email, hadn't seen it for 5 days, luckily was still in date.

Andi-H27

Northern and yep been checking spam numourus times a day, I fell for that with interview email, hadn't seen it for 5 days, luckily was still in date.
I was waiting for DMI feedback for 2 weeks..... 2 weeks it sat in my spam folder lol

Status
Not open for further replies.