• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver confirmed dead in West Worthing station tragedy (01/02/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_walnut

A TRAIN company says it is “heartbroken” by the death of a train driver who was killed at a railway station.

Emergency services were called to West Worthing station after a body was found at around 9pm on Tuesday, February 1.

It is believed that the driver of the train got out of his cab before an express train passed through the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The key point - somewhat buried half-way down the article is this:

It is believed that the driver of the train got out of his cab before an express train passed through the station.

This raises a lot of potential questions about adequate protection being given/requested for a line block. Obviously a tragic incident for the driver, colleagues and their family and the driver that sadly struck them.

Southern Dvr

Can I politely ask that there is no speculation on this until the report has been published? We simply do not know the facts of this incident and it’s only respectful to the family and colleagues that we wait for the report to be published.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Can I politely ask that there is no speculation on this until the report has been published? We simply do not know the facts of this incident and it’s only respectful to the family and colleagues that we wait for the report to be published.
couldn't agree more my condolences to the family and hopefully some good can come from it with whatever caused it being mitigated against in the future

the sniper

Established Member
The key point - somewhat buried half-way down the article is this:

This raises a lot of potential questions about adequate protection being given/requested for a line block. Obviously a tragic incident for the driver, colleagues and their family and the driver that sadly struck them.

I'm not familiar with the circumstances beyond this article, so apologies if you are. We should avoid speculation, but historic incidents come to mind where this wouldn't be at all relevant.

Tomp94

Thought something was up last night walking over the South Farm Road level crossing at Worthing station, a Portsmouth Harbour bound train was sat in the Platform, and when I returned 20 minutes later in the opposite direction, the same unit was still in the Platform. Heard a barrage of sirens (presumably going to West Worthing Station) followed by radio updates of "trespassers on the railway" Urgh, this outcome is so, so sad.
RIP to the driver and condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

ungreat

Q
Quite right mate. Sincere condolences to his family and fellow colleagues.
A TL/GN driver

DanNCL

Established Member
My thoughts are with the driver’s family, friends and colleagues at what must be an incredibly difficult time for them.

Tallguy

I know that station very well as I used to live on Cranmer Road right by it. Did a commute to London for 7 months whilst living there. Sympathies to all involved.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Thoughts to all those involved. I believe the conductor had a particular rough time, as well as those on the ground.

Master29

Established Member

couldn't agree more my condolences to the family and hopefully some good can come from it with whatever caused it being mitigated against in the future
I can't understand why when something tragic like this happens there is always at least one person that always seems to say "can we refrain from speculation". This is clearly in reference to Horizons quote which was not in any way derogatory towards anyone involved but simply made valid points as Horizon is someone who clearly has experience in rail operations. I know rumours often start through gossip but this is not the case here and while we're at it what is the point in having this section of the forum if we cannot discuss things. We are all saddened but are we only allowed to put "thoughts to all involved" because 1) That is a given for any decent person and 2) Is everyone really tuning in just to read that alone?

Last edited:

BRblue

I can't understand why when something tragic like this happens there is always at least one person that always seems to say "can we refrain from speculation". This is clearly in reference to Horizons quote which was not in any way derogative towards anyone involved but simply made valid points as Horizon is someone who clearly has experience in rail operations. I know rumours often start through gossip but this is not the case here and while we're at it what is the point in having this section of the forum if we cannot discuss things. We are all saddened but are we only allowed to put "thoughts to all involved" because 1) That is a given for any decent person and 2) Is everyone really tuning in just to read that alone?
I don't think it's a reference at all... if anything it's has been posted as a gentle reminder, due to previous incidents where rumour and speculation has run rife.
A few staff that frequent this forum would of been affected by this and I don't think it's too much to ask if speculation can be kept to a minimum.
Thoughts to all of those involved.

Master29

Established Member
I don't think it's a reference at all... if anything it's has been posted as a gentle reminder, due to previous incidents where rumour and speculation has run rife.
A few staff that frequent this forum would of been affected by this and I don't think it's too much to ask if speculation can be kept to a minimum.
Thoughts to all of those involved.
It was a reference because the post by Horizon was just above the posts I was referring to but I don't see why it needs to be pointed out every time. Surely that's the moderators duty. In any case what else can we talk about that isn't deemed speculative other than "thoughts to all involved"?

Egg Centric

It was a reference because the post by Horizon was just above the posts I was referring to but I don't see why it needs to be pointed out every time. Surely that's the moderators duty. In any case what else can we talk about that isn't deemed speculative other than "thoughts to all involved"?
Generally speaking, we don’t have anything else to say at this point and I imagine it will be locked shortly.

Other forums are available which have the advantage of being much less public.

(I am not a moderator nor would I ever want to be one, but this is pretty obvious)

Rob Gibson

Generally speaking, we don’t have anything else to say at this point and I imagine it will be locked shortly.

Other forums are available which have the advantage of being much less public.

(I am not a moderator nor would I ever want to be one, but this is pretty obvious)
Very sad, sympathies to all involved.

I hope it’s alright to state that it looks like a train turning back in the Middle Siding was involved as scheduled every 30 minutes normally a Class 313. They are corridor units so no need to leave the train when changing ends.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I can't understand why when something tragic like this happens there is always at least one person that always seems to say "can we refrain from speculation".

Because some may know the victim personally. 'speculation'. Doesn't help and is often wrong.
This is clearly in reference to Horizons quote which was not in any way derogatory towards anyone involved but simply made valid points as Horizon is someone who clearly has experience in rail operations.

Just because someone has experience of rail operations, doesn't mean they know the rules required. A lot depends on where you sit in relation to the incident.

As a Driver I am fully aware of the rules involved going onto the track. Something in this case went horrifically wrong.

For some of us the is very real and close to home. Going out onto the track on a live railway can have serious consequences. Others don't often see that and almost encourage trespass during an incident. When those harsh realities stare us in the face it can be difficult.

If someone wants to discuss a specific instruction or scenario then, in times like this, start another thread.

I know rumours often start through gossip but this is not the case here and while we're at it what is the point in having this section of the forum if we cannot discuss things.

Discussion and speculation are different.

We are all saddened but are we only allowed to put "thoughts to all involved" because 1) That is a given for any decent person and 2) Is everyone really tuning in just to read that alone?
Welcome to modern social media.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I think the chain of events has been well established, internally at least, the only thing unknown is the why, of which is unlikely to ever be established.

I have a gut feeling but in the same breath I would be surprised if my suspicions were true.

Spartacus

Established Member
It seems strange that he got out of his cab after turning round. Are turnarounds done by walking through the train there? It seems he didn't walk back to the station for any reason, so what the cause of it was, I don't know.

Although it might or might not have little relevance here, sadly there still seems to be regular cases of staff (though rarely traincrew) crossing or walking along lines when they don't have the authority, and not seemingly thinking they're doing anything wrong. Given how much it's hammered home where I'm based I find that hard to understand it in anything other than an absolute emergency situation.

Sympathies to all involved, especially the driver of the train involved in the strike, who given the circumstances I've read might be badly impacted themselves.

Last edited:

Tio Terry

Sincerest condolences to the family of the driver and to all those involved. A real tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.