• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train driver medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJM4376

Im looking to apply to either GWR or SWR for Trainee driver position, But would like to find out if anybody knows there current position on Laser eye surgery, Ive read quite a lot but its old material,
Some say its a no and others say its ok ?
Also on Blood Pressure medicines ?
I dont want to waste my or there time if its a no.
Any info really appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
Laser eye varies between tocs. You'll need to speak to them directly. Hundreds of drivers take bp medication without issue. If your bp is below 160/100 on the day of your medical it's a pass but you must tell them what you are taking. The actual medication isn't an issue though.

John1984

Hi

I would like people to just be honest with me as no TOCs will answer me. I had a suicide attempt in October 2014, am I going to fail a railway medical...train driver or otherwise?

Thanks

Mermoo

Hi

I would like people to just be honest with me as no TOCs will answer me. I had a suicide attempt in October 2014, am I going to fail a railway medical...train driver or otherwise?

Thanks

Coming from a professional mental health background, I would say two questions that you need to think about are:

Have you fully dealt with your historical mental health, i.e. extensive counselling for underlying issues?
Are you now in a place where you can safely say - "that will never happen again"?
If the answer to either of the above is no, then I'd urge you to seek help from your GP or other professional for some kind of talking therapy asap in order to move forward.
I would suggest that mental health issues will not stop you from passing any medical, unless they have not been dealt with appropriately...

red2005

Hi

Thanks

Depends on a lot of things really. Such as are you over the demons that put you in such an awful position in the first place and were you/ are you taking any medication for it.

You’ll have to declare all this on the application form anyway so my advice would be to get in touch with the Toc’s and get it straight from the horses mouth.

The honest answer is as you’ve probably seen on many other threads on this site Train operating companies do have to use all kinds of things to narrow down the number of applicants. This could be one hindrance when you declare it on the application form. There’s absolutely nothing to stop you from applying though.

On a personal note it’s good to see that it seems you’re out of the other side now. Keep smiling mate.

Red

John1984

Depends on a lot of things really. Such as are you over the demons that put you in such an awful position in the first place and were you/ are you taking any medication for it.

You’ll have to declare all this on the application form anyway so my advice would be to get in touch with the Toc’s and get it straight from the horses mouth.

The honest answer is as you’ve probably seen on many other threads on this site Train operating companies do have to use all kinds of things to narrow down the number of applicants. This could be one hindrance when you declare it on the application form. There’s absolutely nothing to stop you from applying though.

On a personal note it’s good to see that it seems you’re out of the other side now. Keep smiling mate.

Red

Does anyone know if anyone has ever passed railway medicals with mental health problems? Would being in a safety critical role first help do you think? I am an ex lifeguard. Maybe I should be a conductor for 5 years....

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone know if anyone has ever passed railway medicals with mental health problems? Would being in a safety critical role first help do you think? I am an ex lifeguard. Maybe I should be a conductor for 5 years....

Thanks guys
There are probably lots of drivers with mental health issues either known or otherwise.
No one is going to be able to give you a definitive yes or no regarding your situation but as said before it's where you are now that is important. Only you know if you're over the issues you had and you have to be honest with yourself, train driving can be stressful and mentally you need to be in a good place.

Good luck with whatever you decide but you have to be in it to win it!

R Trevithick

Hi

Thanks

Not trying to be clever here but you won’t get a definitive answer on a forum.

The only definitive answer will come from your chosen TOCs occupational health provider when you have a medical.
If they think it’s a problem it’s a problem, if they don’t it isn’t.
Apply and see what happens

NewbieDoobie

Sorry to bring an old thread to life again but do we know if TOCs generally approach GP notes or are conditions generally discussed and worked out at the medical appointment, as I know the DVLA often require GP input?

Seejwalker

1 in 4 of us suffer with a mental illness, if we weren't employable then there would be alot of people out of work. You don't have to declare anything until you get to a medical. As mentioned above, if you yourself feel ready to begin a career in the rail industry then go for it and let the medical professionals be the ultimate judge when you make it that far.

NewbieDoobie

Thanks for the reply. I do have a driver medical coming up. I’m type 2 diabetic so have been stressing over it ever since I passed the assessments months ago. When I got my PCV license the DVLA took a long time to get my license back and I know the railways are stricter but I’ve never suffered any complications of any sort but just trying to find some answers in these last few days

Seejwalker

Thanks for the reply. I do have a driver medical coming up. I’m type 2 diabetic so have been stressing over it ever since I passed the assessments months ago. When I got my PCV license the DVLA took a long time to get my license back and I know the railways are stricter but I’ve never suffered any complications of any sort but just trying to find some answers in these last few days
If you're not insulin dependent I believe you should be fine mate, ultimately I'm not a medical professional and No1 on here will have the defining answer. As frustrating as it is, you will have to wait and see what the medical determines. I wish you the very best of luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.